Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

Mmm I can't quite picture shrimp ceviche, but I like the idea.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Hector
      el Hombre de Acero
      • May 19, 2003

Oh, my dear friend...shrimp ceviche is da bomb, dawg!!!

BTW, unlike regular fish ceviche, where the raw fish cooks under the lime juice...raw shrimp is flash boiled for a few seconds first...then cooled with ice...and finally set in lime juice. The reason being is if you just place the uncooked shrimp in the lime juice, it will have the texture of slimed slugs, no bueno. Flash boiling shrimp for a few seconds gives the shrimp that firmness that’s more palatable and pleasant.
      sigpic

Comment

• Hector
        el Hombre de Acero
        • May 19, 2003

Yes, I started it...guilty as charged...

sigpic

Comment

• Hector
          el Hombre de Acero
          • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by Mikey
          Question for all you chefs out there -- i'm looking in your direction Hec

When I make fresh sausage I fry it to golden brown in the frying pan on cooking oil-- when browned I fill the pan with water even depth with sausage, cover and simmer for 25-sh minutes … done

Was always thinking about trying to make it in the crock … does it come out any better ? … is it even worth it ? … do you have to brown first ?
          You should brown it, otherwise it will come out all soggy.
          sigpic

Comment

• PNGwynne
            Master of Fowl Play
            • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by Hector
            Oh, my dear friend...shrimp ceviche is da bomb, dawg!!!

BTW, unlike regular fish ceviche, where the raw fish cooks under the lime juice...raw shrimp is flash boiled for a few seconds first...then cooled with ice...and finally set in lime juice. The reason being is if you just place the uncooked shrimp in the lime juice, it will have the texture of slimed slugs, no bueno. Flash boiling shrimp for a few seconds gives the shrimp that firmness that’s more palatable and pleasant.
            That's what I was having difficulty with, using raw shrimp.
            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• cjefferys
              Duke of Gloat
              • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by Hector
              The reason being is if you just place the uncooked shrimp in the lime juice, it will have the texture of slimed slugs, no bueno. Flash boiling shrimp for a few seconds gives the shrimp that firmness that’s more palatable and pleasant.
              I've eaten raw shrimp and your description of the texture is pretty apt (but I still enjoy them because I'm a bit of a raw meat foodie ). For a dish like this, I can see how flash boiling them would make them a better fit, it sounds delicious!

Oh, and oysters? Yes please!

Comment

• Hector
                el Hombre de Acero
                • May 19, 2003

Oysters?

I love oysters...raw is my fave, but love them grilled over fire too.

Mmm, I like mine with a tad of minced onions, cilantro, lime juice...and hot sauce, baby...

sigpic

Comment

• cjefferys
                  Duke of Gloat
                  • Apr 23, 2006

Oh yeah, I love them raw, grilled and also they are amazing deep fried!

Comment

• J.B.
                    Guild Navigator
                    • Jun 23, 2010

You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Comment

• Hector
                      el Hombre de Acero
                      • May 19, 2003

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡