X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Toy-Ventures: Zorak from Big Jim's PACK

This week we go back to 1976 and take another look at a figure from one of my favourite toy-lines, Zorak, not only was he Big Jim's first bad guy, he was a bit of a trendsetting toy concept and one that would become the norm for action figure brands for years to come.

We explore who invented the "Double Trouble" face changing concept and not only about Zoltar but the new deluxe Big Jim Commander that gets really angry.

Let's talk Big Jim in the Pod Stallions Facebook Group:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/podstallions

Please subscribe to our YouTube Channel:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwYta3nz_7FAzPvP8FPSgpg?view_as=subscriber

For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

Great to see the figures' details and variants, I like the skull version, too. As a kid, I didn't pay much attention to the P.A.C.K.--I was chasing Megos and SMDM.

But I admired Zorak and wanted one--still do. Though my Big Jim collection is mostly sports, I can't resist a good villain.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Werewolf
      Inhuman
      • Jul 14, 2003

I really like the looks of the Double Trouble Big Jim and I think that glorious 70s helmet hair really sells it and hides the action feature quite well. Great toys.
      You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
        Often invisible
        • Jul 18, 2002

I still have my Zorak and he is as amazing to me now as he was as a kid!

I didn’t have many Big Jim figures back then. Dr. Steel, Torpedo Fist, and Zorak were it... well and a J.J. Armes that I didn’t realize T the time wasn’t officially part of the group. Zorak would attach with his minion The Intruder, which worked better scale wise with the Wolf Pack then with GIJoe even back then.

I would love to find one of the skeleton ones! I don’t know if my wallet is big enough tho...
        Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• Palifan
          Museum Patron
          • Jan 18, 2016

Really interesting video this week for me as I know little to nothing about this Big Jim line other than it's existence. I don't remember seeing these toys at all growing up in the UK although perhaps Palitoy's Action Man took up most of the shelf space at the time and both this toy line and The Bionic Man were my go-to so I may well have missed them.

It's great to learn some more info about them and Zorak looks like a great character, especially the Mexican variant.

Thanks as ever Brian for putting this up.

Ian

Comment

• toyhunter1970
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 24, 2020

awesome video i have big jim commander and dr steel sealed in pack boxes i love this line thank you for the video

Comment

• cjefferys
              Duke of Gloat
              • Apr 23, 2006

Cool vid! I only had two PACK figures as a kid, Big Jim Commander and Zorak (plus a pre-PACK version of Dr. Steel, if that counts) and always thought Zorak and his action feature were great, lots of play value there.

Comment

• Wee67
                Museum Correspondent
                • Apr 2, 2002

I feel like I missed out on this entire line. Kid me completely dismissed Big Jim as lame. I wanted the action of Super Heroes or Trek, not some guy in short shorts surviving the trials of going camping. My snobbery continued when PACK figures came out. Why would I want second-rate heroes when WGSH's were giving me the real deal. Now I look back and think how cool is that camper and plane.
                WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                  Verbose Member
                  • Mar 7, 2004

I remember seeing the comic ad for PACK in an slightly older comic I picked up at the flea market. The Jack Kirby art intrigued me, even though at that point, I wasn't familiar with him (I was three or four).

Regular Zorak is definitely a cool design, but that skull face is just killer. And, it wouldn't surprise me if it didn't influence a certain Lord of Destruction. Given they lifted the mechanism for Man-E-Faces, and Mattel's penchant for recycling, it doesn't seem too far fetched.

Thanks for cranking these videos out. I get so excited when I see a new one on my TV!

Chris
                  sigpic

Comment

• toyhunter1970
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 24, 2020

it took me a while o remember but i did have a zorak i found a boxed one in swap meet around 1980 so it was much later this guy at the meet had a zoraks ,superjoe and jj armes on the table selling for cheap

Comment

• Chris
                      Persistent Member
                      • Dec 23, 2009

That was fantastic. Thank you so much for taking the time to produce it.
                      Your mini-doc was uplifting and filled with a love of the subject.
                      If a Mego figure of God did not exist, it would be necessary for EMCE to invent him.

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎