Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DetectiveFork
    • May 20, 2012

Repairing EMCE Star Trek Figures

I pulled my EMCE Chekov out of storage to discover (in horror) that in the last couple months he had completely gone to pieces. Can anyone suggest which parts I need to repair him? I think it looks like Type 1 MEGO bands inside but I'm uncertain. Thanks!
  • Nostalgiabuff
    Muddling through
    • Oct 4, 2008

http://drmego.fatcow.com/store/page10.html

you can buy replacement o rings from DR Mego

Comment

• Eric
      Museum Patron
      • Jan 11, 2008

This happened to a Gorn I had in storage, and someone else here had the same thing happen to his Gorn figure. Have to wonder how many MOC EMCE figures will fall to pieces the minute they're unpackaged.

Comment

• DetectiveFork
        • May 20, 2012

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
        http://drmego.fatcow.com/store/page10.html

you can buy replacement o rings from DR Mego
        Thank you, but are the Type 2 bands correct? The EMCE figures appear to have white rubber bands inside.

Comment

• DetectiveFork
          • May 20, 2012

Originally posted by Eric
          This happened to a Gorn I had in storage, and someone else here had the same thing happen to his Gorn figure. Have to wonder how many MOC EMCE figures will fall to pieces the minute they're unpackaged.
          I suspect it might end up being a common problem. My Khan also half-disintegrated, one arm and leg falling off. These are only about 10 years old, right? And mine were displayed and stored; there wasn't heavy play.

Comment

• sprytel
            Talkative Member
            • Jun 26, 2009

I looked it up. Wow... the EMCE Trek figures started coming out in 2006. Where does the time go?

For what it is worth, my EMCE figures have been on display since I got them and I have not had any such issues. It sounds like figures that have been stored in non-temperature controlled environments have seen issues.

The good news is replacing the bands is fairly easy.

Comment

• TrekStar
              Trek or Treat
              • Jan 20, 2011

I still have my EMCE Trek aliens and Khan sealed, wasn’t planning on opening them, but after reading some of these threads, I’m afraid to chance it. It’s been 13-14 years already, yes time does really fly by.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                Muddling through
                • Oct 4, 2008

Originally posted by DetectiveFork
                Thank you, but are the Type 2 bands correct? The EMCE figures appear to have white rubber bands inside.
                they should be the same size. the EMCE figures were on T2 bodies but they were strung way to tight to begin with. over time the bands have just dry rotted. I have not yet had that happen to any of mine, that I know of anyway. and some of my loose ones were my sons that he played with

Comment

• DetectiveFork
                  • May 20, 2012

Thank you, all! So if I understand correctly, I should purchase a MEGO Type 2 repair kit (even though it has the black bands) to fix up my EMCE Trek figures?

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                    Muddling through
                    • Oct 4, 2008

yes. type 1 bodies were totally different construction. they used string elastic, not rubber bands. just be careful when you stretch the bands as the hip pins in EMCE bodies also tend to be brittle, from what I hear. my EMCE figures have not yet broken like this

Comment

• DetectiveFork
                      • May 20, 2012

Thanks! I'm going to (carefully) try this. And for the record, it's not a pretty picture but here is how my EMCE Chekov looked when I found him.

Comment

• sprytel
                        Talkative Member
                        • Jun 26, 2009

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍