X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Vintage Mego Comic Action Heroes Exploding Bridge with Batmobile

Vintage Mego opens up another Mego item from back in the day and plays with it. This week we’re looking at the classic Mego Comic Action Heroes Exploding Bridge playset with Batman and the Batmobile. We talk about the rare gift set, the foreign versions, and how well this toy works. Did you have this…

More...
  • Palifan
    Museum Patron
    • Jan 18, 2016

Thanks for putting this episode up Brian as it's a set I actually own

I have the Denys Fisher set and I'll have to check to see if I have one of the only working activators in the world lol. One thing I did wonder though is if you if batman came with his Batarang? My set didn't come with the Batarang (or the instructions which I'm still looking for), but my comic action heroes batcopter did so it's something I've always wondered.

As you mentioned I pretty much bought this set for the Batmobile as well as the fantastic box art, it's really stunning on display and I have a second box which has a few bits and pieces from the set (I really do need to let that one go at some point).

Thanks as ever for taking the time to put this vid out as well as all the other great content you manage to find each week, it's really helping to get through this time off.

Ian

Comment

• Bruce Banner
      HULK SMASH!
      • Apr 3, 2010

I love this set. I never had it as a kid (only had the FOS), but I picked up a boxed example of the Denys Fisher version about 10 years ago, only missing the Comic Activator.
      Absolutely love the CAH line.
      PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
        Verbose Member
        • Mar 7, 2004

Great video, and a set I wish I owned. The closeup on those painted prototypes was a revelation!!!

Chris
        sigpic

Comment

• Palifan
          Museum Patron
          • Jan 18, 2016

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
          Great video, and a set I wish I owned. The closeup on those painted prototypes was a revelation!!!

Chris
          I thought the same thing about those painted prototypes and have never noticed even though I own the set lol!

Ian

Comment

• PNGwynne
            Master of Fowl Play
            • Jun 5, 2008

I love these CAH videos--I could really get drawn into collecting this line.
            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Werewolf
              Inhuman
              • Jul 14, 2003

It's a shame they were so sparse with paint on the released figures. The extra paint on the protos really brings out the sculpts.
              You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                Muddling through
                • Oct 4, 2008

wow the paint apps make these figures look so much better. I never had this set but I do have the Batmobile and the Pocket SH Batman and they are really cool. one of these days I will get Robin

as a kid I only remember ever having the exploding tower set with WW. I remember playing with it when I got it for Christmas but I have no memory of whatever became of it. most of my toys I kept into adulthood, or at least remember when it broke and got tossed, but not that one.

Comment

• Falstaff13
                  Persistent Member
                  • May 28, 2008

Another great video. You mention Mego crammed four carded figures in the box of the deluxe set, and that reminded me of Empire Toys' Legends of the West line (not hard, since it's my favorite line). When you bought a wagon, you also got a figure included, and with the exception of the Fire Wagon (which had a loose fireman figure--one of three repainted Legends--in it, the only real time variants were made for the line), that was just a carded figure. Generally it didn't matter what figure was tossed in (although getting Davy Crockett to be a peddler was a little odd), and that was how I got some of the doubles I had as a child. But how man lines did this with carded figures in an otherwise separate box? Was this common in the early days of the smaller scale figures?
                  Hugh H. Davis

Wanted: Legends of the West (Empire & Excel) and other western historically-based figures. Send me an offer.
                  Also interested in figures based on literary characters.

Comment

• Palifan
                    Museum Patron
                    • Jan 18, 2016

Originally posted by Falstaff13
                    Another great video. You mention Mego crammed four carded figures in the box of the deluxe set, and that reminded me of Empire Toys' Legends of the West line (not hard, since it's my favorite line). When you bought a wagon, you also got a figure included, and with the exception of the Fire Wagon (which had a loose fireman figure--one of three repainted Legends--in it, the only real time variants were made for the line), that was just a carded figure. Generally it didn't matter what figure was tossed in (although getting Davy Crockett to be a peddler was a little odd), and that was how I got some of the doubles I had as a child. But how man lines did this with carded figures in an otherwise separate box? Was this common in the early days of the smaller scale figures?
                    I know vintage Star Wars did this and had a special offer Cantina set (UK edition), which came with 4 card Cantina Creatures as well as some other play sets coming with figures in baggies. Also there were offers with figures that felt like the shop owners would pack carded figures into the boxes (not totally sure about that, they may have been packed at the factory).

I'm not sure what other toy lines took this approach but I can imagine there's a few out there as a way of enticing people to buy product that's starting to sit on the shelf for a while.

Ian

Comment

• Falstaff13
                      Persistent Member
                      • May 28, 2008

^^Thank you, Ian. I figure some did it and did just pull packaged stock, but I hadn't thought about taking a fully carded figure out the box since, well, I did it myself all those years ago.
                      Hugh H. Davis

Wanted: Legends of the West (Empire & Excel) and other western historically-based figures. Send me an offer.
                      Also interested in figures based on literary characters.

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎