X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nostalgiabuff
    Muddling through
    • Oct 4, 2008

Penny Dreadful City of Angels

Anyone watching? I have only watched E1 so far. I was not overly impressed but I will give it a couple episodes before I decide whether to bail.

thoughts?
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

I've only seen part 1, I love the lead actress and Rory Kinnear was my favourite in the original series so I'm happy to see him.

Not sure if i'm in yet, maybe? The name is the only connection to the original series, which I loved, so am I going to buy Mexican deities with the same deal as English Monsters of legend? Maybe but it's going to require some salesmanship.

I forgot that Nathan Lane can act, most of the times you see him on tv, it feels like he's playing Nathan Lane. He's good in this.
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Confessional
      Maker & Whatnot
      • Aug 8, 2012

Yeah, first episode… I can't decide if the title was just a lure (sic) or if it will build to a supernatural-ensemble-morality play in the same way the original did?

It has some redeeming qualities as a period piece and I like the two leads, but I'm struggling with the mediocre CGI and the gods seem awful cosplay-esque instead of feeling otherworldly and accordingly mysterious. Hmmm…

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
        Muddling through
        • Oct 4, 2008

Originally posted by palitoy
        I've only seen part 1, I love the lead actress and Rory Kinnear was my favourite in the original series so I'm happy to see him.

Not sure if i'm in yet, maybe? The name is the only connection to the original series, which I loved, so am I going to buy Mexican deities with the same deal as English Monsters of legend? Maybe but it's going to require some salesmanship.

I forgot that Nathan Lane can act, most of the times you see him on tv, it feels like he's playing Nathan Lane. He's good in this.
        yeah, that was pretty much my feeling on it as well

Comment

• LonnieFisher
          Eloquent Member
          • Jan 19, 2008

After episode one, I'm not interested in this show at all.

Comment

• shaunaconda
            Museum Super Collector
            • Mar 29, 2020

It’s kind of similar to The Terror: Infamy.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
              Muddling through
              • Oct 4, 2008

Originally posted by shaunaconda
              It’s kind of similar to The Terror: Infamy.
              you're right, in the sense of it being a totally unrelated story line. I did like the Terror Infamy though

Comment

• rykerw1701
                Persistent Member
                • Aug 27, 2007

I like it but I don't love it, outside of very good performances by Nathan Lane and Natalie Dormer. I went and rewatched the first episode of the first season, and that's far more to my liking.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                  Muddling through
                  • Oct 4, 2008

still hanging in there? I don't love this show but it is at least interesting enough that I am still watching. for now anyway. the Nazi subplot might be good

Comment

• shaunaconda
                    Museum Super Collector
                    • Mar 29, 2020

It is well done.

Comment

• Falstaff13
                      Persistent Member
                      • May 28, 2008

I just got caught up with this, and it's well done. I like the acting, and it looks great. I'll certainly continue watching it. Is there supposed to be a narrative link from the first series to this one, or is it just a brand, kind of like American Horror Story? I loved the original, particularly as a lit teacher at the time, and its takes on some classic stories. The only thing that bugged the pedant in me was that none of the literary works featured in the show were actually from Penny Dreadfuls. Instead of Dorian Gray and Victor Frankenstein, when I heard of the show, I thought it would feature figures like Spring-Heeled Jack and Varney the Vampire. With City of Angels, I thought perhaps they would use 1930s pulp characters, but, nomenclature aside, it's an interesting exploration so far of a world that isn't as often seen in popular culture.
                      Hugh H. Davis

Wanted: Legends of the West (Empire & Excel) and other western historically-based figures. Send me an offer.
                      Also interested in figures based on literary characters.

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎