X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SeattleEd
    SynthoRes Transmigrator
    • Oct 24, 2007

Gorn, TOS old school version

This was an easy quick lazy one. (Kitbash)
    Considering how the original brown Gorn was released by Mego, I always wondered what it would be like if MEGO would have released a more accurate version utilizing existing molds and parts. I know this is not a new topic, heck, when I was 7 years old I always wondered why they didn't do it in green, but at least now I can make it how I pictured it in my head. Enjoy!

Gorn:
    1. Head: Original MEGO Lizard head
    2. Body: Original MEGO green body (Neptunian)
    3. Clothes: Leitner green pleather outfit(I would assume MEGO would do green cloth like the Lizard tail material but I like the shiny look and Leinter outfits.), EMCE POTA tunic, Repro Thor gauntlets, CTVT Klingon boots in green, New MEGO belt with accessories.

Gorn1.jpg

Gorn2.jpg
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

I hope you're using a blue pelvis piece so he's not going commando.

I really like this, it's fun figure.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• SeattleEd
      SynthoRes Transmigrator
      • Oct 24, 2007

Originally posted by PNGwynne
      I hope you're using a blue pelvis piece so he's not going commando.

I really like this, it's fun figure.
      LOL!
      Scott, green pelvis but he is wearing a one piece superhero outfit. So quasi commando.

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

Aha, I missed the leggings.
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• newlyknighted
          Persistent Member
          • Feb 21, 2010

He's ready to aim, shoot, and dance at the club. Turn up the music! Great one Ed!
          I post in thy general direction!

Comment

• hedrap
            Permanent Member
            • Feb 10, 2009

One of the great "what were they thinking" Mego mysteries...

Ed, did you try this with the Neptunian boots or gloves? I did that years ago found it mimic while exagerating the hands/feet of the gorn. And if you're willing to, cover his eyes with something silver.

Comment

• PNGwynne
              Master of Fowl Play
              • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by hedrap
              Really just a question of economy. Had Mego done a copper-colored vinyl POTA cuffed tunic with Conelius's olive sleeves and tights and a properly redecorated Lizard head, I think vintage collectors would have raved.

Comment

• TrekStar
                Trek or Treat
                • Jan 20, 2011

Oh heck yes, that’s the road mego should have went. I did read somewhere that the Lizard head wasn’t used since they didn’t want to use the same head for two different characters, so Gorn got the brown version head plus it fit in with the POTA soldier bodies. I guess I understand that logic, but the outfit is another story.

Comment

• hedrap
                  Permanent Member
                  • Feb 10, 2009

Originally posted by TrekStar
                  I did read somewhere that the Lizard head wasn’t used since they didn’t want to use the same head for two different characters...
                  I've heard that too and never bought it. Lizard heads were already being made green, so all that was needed was a darker shading and silver eyes. Instead they switched into a different material and then applied the same paints. From a logic workflow, it's not believable.

The best guesses to me are:

1. Mego had boatloads of Apes bodies (hence Falcon on a POTA and not a Huggy/Dobey) and a ton of Klingon gear.

2. The Lizard head had an accidental run with POTA soldiers heads so they were looking for a way to use them

3. Or the factory was told to make a darker Lizard head and it didn't work/misunderstood.

Why not cast the Lizard hands in brown? Or since they were already making Neptunian parts, why not cast the gloves/boots in brown for the Gorn? Because those would increase the associated cost. That's why I say it's a potluck figure and can't be a design decision. Gorn is like the variants of today, a way to double-dip sales from one expense.
                  Last edited by hedrap; May 5, '20, 9:21 AM.

Comment

• sprytel
                    Talkative Member
                    • Jun 26, 2009

Originally posted by TrekStar
                    I did read somewhere that the Lizard head wasn’t used since they didn’t want to use the same head for two different characters
                    I'm not saying this isn't true... It is just totally inconsistent with all the times where they completely reused heads.

Then again, Mego is consistently inconsistent. Like they will simplify Captain America sleeves as a cost savings measure, and then create a lot of custom parts for Conan.

Comment

• battmasterson
                      Career Member
                      • Dec 22, 2010

WoW! I love this. I agree with everyone else about this is the way MEGO should have gone. Wonderful custom and great idea.

Comment

• mpramuk
                        Museum Patron
                        • Nov 24, 2007

Nice job!

My attempt at the Gorn was a little too lazy!

Gorn.jpg
                        Looking for redhead AJ heads (or figures) - both bearded & clean shaven (I'm trying to complete all the variations).
                        Also seeking: 1 blue Soldier Ape glove, 1 General Ape boot, sun reflector from PotA Fortress playset.

Comment

• blastphemey
                          Persistent Member
                          • Jun 11, 2008

I love that you used green sleeves and pants. Very mego-esque

Comment

• SeattleEd
                            SynthoRes Transmigrator
                            • Oct 24, 2007

Originally posted by hedrap

Ed, did you try this with the Neptunian boots or gloves? I did that years ago found it mimic while exagerating the hands/feet of the gorn. And if you're willing to, cover his eyes with something silver.
                            I did try the Neptunian parts but didn't like the appearance. I wanted to go with what Mego did in parts and take it to a closer accurate colorway to the character. I agree with Scott in that they should have made a copper colored POTA tunic.
                            I plan on making another one with a different colorway of my own.

Comment

• Confessional
                              Maker & Whatnot
                              • Aug 8, 2012

^^ You could turn that tunic into a copper version with fabric paint. I've played around with Tulip Soft Matte & Metallics with surprisingly good results on a variety of vintage soft goods. Also been experimenting with lots of dyes lately too.

Vintage Mego-era fabrics are so versatile for distressing and reconditioning vs. the wacky blends they use now.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎