X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TRDouble
    Permanent Member
    • Jul 10, 2012

Question: Cutting a body suit to make pants

I need pants for a figure, but the colors offered are very limited compared to the body suits. I was thinking about buying a body suit, cutting it at the waist, and then if I put a pair of shorts over it, it should hold up.

Any thoughts on this idea? Has anyone done something similar?

Thanks!
  • hedrap
    Permanent Member
    • Feb 10, 2009

You would probably have to hem the cut line or it will continue to fray. Or you can sew it to the clothing underneath. Leitner would know for sure

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

Putting superhero trunks over it? This should work.

Cut it a little lower than the waistband of the trunks. Whip-stitch the edge to prevent fraying, or use clear nail polish or a lighter/soldering iron (be careful!!!) to seal the cut edge. EDIT: You can only use heat to seal polyester suits!

You may find--I have--that the new tights need to be snugger around the pelvis..If you can hand-sew, turn them inside out after cutting off the top and preventing fraying as above, and take in the back seam a little.
      Last edited by PNGwynne; Apr 25, '20, 12:31 PM.
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• TRDouble
        Permanent Member
        • Jul 10, 2012

Thank you!!!

Comment

• thunderbolt
          Hi Ernie!!!
          • Feb 15, 2004

or maybe try learning to sew? I learned it just for doing customs.
          You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• PNGwynne
            Master of Fowl Play
            • Jun 5, 2008

Sewing set-in trunks is probably the most diffficult step in making a Mego hero suit. I can understand why folks do layering.
            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• thunderbolt
              Hi Ernie!!!
              • Feb 15, 2004

I do layering it looks more realistic to me than sewing in the trunks
              You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• PNGwynne
                Master of Fowl Play
                • Jun 5, 2008

I like sewn-in--to me that is "Mego". Layering is more suited to larger figures IMO/taste. Depends on the fabric, too.

Comment

• Random Axe
                  The Voice of Reason
                  • Apr 16, 2008

Custom hack to make bodysuit pants. Cut a bit higher than the waist and then turn the excess inside and use a dab of hot glue gun to create a clean top. Don't use super glue as that can bleed through some fabric causing stains. Hot glue will not but only use tiny drops of it. Or Elmers actually works pretty good on stretchy material
                  I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she dumped me before we met.

If anyone here believes in psychokinesis, please raise my hand.

Comment

• TRDouble
                    Permanent Member
                    • Jul 10, 2012

Good tip, Random Axe... thanks!

Sewing for me is out. I wish I could and maybe if I really applied myself, I am sure I could, but I'd probably get too frustrated.

I don't really have a preference for sewn-in or layered trunks. Depends on the look I want for the character, I guess. I actually have Hawkman in mind; I think a more classic Hawkman would look better with trunks over the pants, so I would like a couple pairs of green pants, but no one has readily made green pants for sale.

Comment

• scott metzger
                      Persistent Member
                      • Jul 9, 2007

You can make a hem at the top of the "pants" by folding the material and just using some glue stick in the fold to hold it. Just watch the color of the material and the color of the glue. The purple glue so common today dioesn't always turn totally clear as it dries, and it can show through on thin, light material.

Comment

• TRDouble
                        Permanent Member
                        • Jul 10, 2012

Thanks, scott. Lots of good stuff in this thread!

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎