X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • enyawd72
    Maker of Monsters!
    • Oct 1, 2009

Kenner Retro Ghostbusters have arrived!

These are beautiful...about 99% accurate to the originals, and SO much cheaper!

I hope they do some more, including ECTO-1

• Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

Those look great! I didn't know they were out yet.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

These look fantastic.

I was right on the cusp of getting out of playing with toys when the Real Ghostbusters toys hit. A friend had the first four and the Ecto-1, and I got two of the second series Fright Features figures, but other than that, I admired them from afar. I wanted the Classic Monsters figures, but I could never find the Dracula.

Seeing these makes me wonder why in the world no one has ever re-released the Super Powers figures in the original scale. I guess it's because since the line really hit it's nostalgia-stride, it hasn't been back to Hasbro, which probably owns the Kenner molds, if tehy exist.

Chris

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• Werewolf
        Inhuman
        • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris

Seeing these makes me wonder why in the world no one has ever re-released the Super Powers figures in the original scale.
        It makes no sense at all. The demand has always been extremely high. I'd buy them even with the action features removed. I love the sculpts. I don't think they've ever been matched.
        You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

^They haven't. In my opinion, of all the figures I own, for aesthetic consistency, they are still the tops. DCUC is close, but part of that is a deep love for Super Powers running through it.

But Kenner was just on fire back then. Real Ghostbusters is just a beautiful looking toyline on its own, independent of the fllm, or the cartoon, even.

Chris
          sigpic

Comment

• B-Lister
            Eccentric Weirdo
            • Mar 19, 2010

Ok, so if these are close to the originals, what are the differences? I'm sure someone will go to great lengths to nitpickthem, but I personally think they look great.

I've never had a problem with reissues. I even own a few, from various lines. I don't know why people get so bent over them, and these look great.

I was never all in on RGB. As a kid,I had exactly ONE figure. The original Egon. It's all I ever needed from the line, and since I now have a vintage, unpunched original, it's all I'll ever need.

But these don't lessen that, or make me regret that purchase. If it brings fans back to the franchise, or more importantly, i troduces new fans, then isn't that better than trying to preserve the vintage ones and keeping them prohibitively expensive?
            Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• powersthatbe
              Persistent Member
              • Sep 27, 2010

A Ghostbuster figure I still have is a Fright Expression Vinkman with yellow vest. Did anybody have toys from the original ghostbusters line( the one with the gorilla)? I remember that live show from the 70s.

Comment

• enyawd72
                Maker of Monsters!
                • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by B-Lister
                Ok, so if these are close to the originals, what are the differences? I'm sure someone will go to great lengths to nitpickthem, but I personally think they look great.

I've never had a problem with reissues. I even own a few, from various lines. I don't know why people get so bent over them, and these look great.

I was never all in on RGB. As a kid,I had exactly ONE figure. The original Egon. It's all I ever needed from the line, and since I now have a vintage, unpunched original, it's all I'll ever need.

But these don't lessen that, or make me regret that purchase. If it brings fans back to the franchise, or more importantly, i troduces new fans, then isn't that better than trying to preserve the vintage ones and keeping them prohibitively expensive?
                Really the only difference is the port on the back where the packs plug in, and the bottoms of the feet have a ridge instead of being flat. That's it. The colors may be very slightly different, but that might be due to the age of the vintage figures.

Comment

• powersthatbe
                  Persistent Member
                  • Sep 27, 2010

I do hope Walmart is better with their exclusives. I never did find Jedi Luke there and now prices are too high now online.:(

Comment

• Werewolf
                    Inhuman
                    • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by powersthatbe
                    Did anybody have toys from the original ghostbusters line( the one with the gorilla)? I remember that live show from the 70s.
                    I had a bunch of those. Sadly the plastic went bad.

Comment

• ScottA
                      Original Member
                      • Jun 25, 2001

I just saw these yesterday at Walmart.
                      sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• B-Lister
                        Eccentric Weirdo
                        • Mar 19, 2010

There is a running change on the reissues.

Apparently Hasbro didn't secure the rights from Ray Parker Jr. to use the phrase "Who you gonna call?" and it has been removed from later releases.

Which is strange, because they still include the phrase "I ain't 'fraid of no ghost."
                        Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• TheVintageToyKid
                          Career Member
                          • Jul 23, 2019

I too can't wait to get these Real Ghostbusters reissues even though I have the originals. But, I also would love to have reissues of the Kenner Super Powers Collection.. at least Cyborg and the other figures who are too expensive to collect secondhand. I just want a complete set, reissue, original, it doesn't matter to me.
                          "I thought they didn't allow no bathin' suits in here."

Comment

• melstapler
                            Museum Super Collector
                            • Aug 2, 2014

I remember this cartoon and it was interesting because you had the Filmations Ghostbusters running on TV around the same time. Filmations was based on the 80s animated series which was a sequel to the 1970s live action show starring Larry Storch and Forrest Tucker. Although I don't have any of the Kenner Ghostbusters figures for comparison, I do have the firehouse with pole and red doors. Any word yet if there are plans to reissue the firehouse playset?

Comment

• powersthatbe
                              Persistent Member
                              • Sep 27, 2010

very happy. found a set at my closest Walmart this morning.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎