X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LonnieFisher
    Eloquent Member
    • Jan 19, 2008

SDCC 2020 has been cancelled.

Bummer! First year for no convention in fifty years.
  • cjefferys
    Duke of Gloat
    • Apr 23, 2006

Not surprised, there was no frigging way this had a chance to go on as planned. With experts saying there will likely be no concerts, etc. until 2021, the huge, crowded mess that is SDCC would have been a terrible idea.

Comment

• MRP
      Persistent Member
      • Jul 19, 2016

Not a surprise. I think the real test for cons in measuring how far along we are in recovery is going to be NYCC. It's not until October, but NYC has been one of the hardest hit by the pandemic. There might be enough time for recovery for it to still happen, but there might still be restrictions in place limiting it or preventing it from happening. And if it does happen, it will be interesting to see how attendance is, as it will be an indicator of the comfort level of the general populace for mass gatherings. I think the first year post-pandemic is going to be one of measuring risk/reward for a lot of people and finding a balance as we strive to return to a new sense of normalcy.

-M
      "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• thunderbolt
        Hi Ernie!!!
        • Feb 15, 2004

I doubt NYCC happens either, pretty sure the mayor already stated no big events the rest of this year
        You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Brown Bear
          Still Old School
          • Feb 14, 2008

Smart move. Popular or not, common sense has to prevail or covid 19 numbers will keep growing.
          Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
            Muddling through
            • Oct 4, 2008

NYCC also is held at the javits center, which has been converted into a makeshift hospital. I also very much doubt it will still be held

Comment

• cjefferys
              Duke of Gloat
              • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
              NYCC also is held at the javits center, which has been converted into a makeshift hospital. I also very much doubt it will still be held
              Yeah, that makes NYCC even less likely. Even if it is determined that we are over the peak, there will still be concerns about second waves, recovered people getting reinfected (which seems to be happening overseas), so I think we are a very long way from being back to normal, if we ever even will be.

Comment

• MRP
                Persistent Member
                • Jul 19, 2016

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
                I had forgotten about the Javits Center conversion. Yeah, that pretty much takes NYCC off the table.

-M
                "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                  Muddling through
                  • Oct 4, 2008

I think the reality is that everything for the better part of the rest of this year will be cancelled. these idiots already going back the beaches are going to be the start of wave 2 of the pandemic.

Comment

• monitor_ep
                    Talkative Member
                    • May 11, 2013

I knew it was canceled back in Jan, they just waited till the last minute to make it official. Several people I know that set up every year got to talking and backed out when the virus was started canceled knowing this could happen. I really feel for San Diego, they really bank on SDCC to get them through the slow months, now everyday is slow to empty.
                    Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• Mr.Marion
                      Permanent Member
                      • Sep 15, 2014

There would have been too many cosplay Sandmen if it wasn't cancelled.

Comment

• Spawn67
                        Career Member
                        • Aug 14, 2009

They keep saying Megacon here in Orlando is still on for early June cause it was postponed from last week and they still keep adding guests! I don't see it happening though. The convention center where its located is a covid 19 drive up test site...
                        I only live about 5 miles from it and have gone every year but its no way I would go at that time...

Comment

• thunderbolt
                          Hi Ernie!!!
                          • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by Spawn67
                          They keep saying Megacon here in Orlando is still on for early June cause it was postponed from last week and they still keep adding guests! I don't see it happening though. The convention center where its located is a covid 19 drive up test site...
                          I only live about 5 miles from it and have gone every year but its no way I would go at that time...
                          It will probably attempt to happen, the Gov is trying to push things to be open...Disney for one but they are more cautious than that.
                          You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Fuzzysnail
                            Persistent Member
                            • Feb 18, 2007

I have never been able to purchase tickets so no sweat off my back... ( he says in a bitter inner voice). Denver postponed theirs from July 4th weekend to the Thanksgiving weekend, we shall see. Our convention center has also been converted over for hospital beds, which have not been needed yet. My wife is holding her breath that the Supernatural Convention in August here in Denver still happens.

Comment

• monitor_ep
                              Talkative Member
                              • May 11, 2013

There are times I miss going to SDCC but thanks to the internet I can buy just about anything I want, and I get more info on upcoming movies & tv series than you will at SDCC.

Wha
                              T I do miss is the interaction with meting the stars and getting autographs.
                              Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎