X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wee67
    Museum Correspondent
    • Apr 2, 2002

Not The Way We Exactly Wanted Them To

I know this may rile some folks up, but I hope we can laugh at ourselves a little. maybe? I know I often catch myself complaining that the new redo is an insult to the original!

I just watched 'Teen Titans Roar,' an episode of Teen Titans go where they give a bit of a meta critique of OG fans trashing new versions of their beloved stuff. It was actually kind of funny even though they were taking a shot at me. It made me think of the thrashing some give new Megos but more so things like 'Teen Titans Go' and 'Thundar Cats' roar. There's even an appearance of original Lion-o and Lion-o from the 2011 series.

Just the first few minutes of the episode-

But I still hate 'The Super Hero Squad Show.'
    WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

On one hand yes fandom does overreact and can be overly negative. On the other hand Thundercats roar just honestly sucks. It is legitimately lazy and ugly. I didn't care for the She-Ra reboot but I always gave them credit for putting some actual effort into it. You can also have a comedic take without have the characters dumbed down to point of being imbeciles, like Roar did.

That said, it still doesn't make me mad by any stretch of the imagination. You know, shrugs, life goes on. There are also several recent reboots like Ducktales and Transformers Cyberverse which are both excellent.

I do find it darkly humorous the TTG parody has better looking character designs than the actual Roar cartoon.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Wee67
      Museum Correspondent
      • Apr 2, 2002

^^ I have to admit, I thought of you when I saw this. Not because of nerd rage or anything, but because I know you were really disappointed with this incarnation.

Comment

• Wee67
        Museum Correspondent
        • Apr 2, 2002

I kinda see Thunder Cats Roar and Teen Titans Go, along with DC Super Hero Girls and The Super Hero Squad Show as a continuation of the Babies-afying of so many shows from Muppet Babies to The Flintstones Kids to Tiny Toon Adventures to A Pup Called Scooby Doo to... you get it.

Last edited by Wee67; Apr 8, '20, 10:59 PM.

Comment

• Werewolf
          Inhuman
          • Jul 14, 2003

The Roar designs are not really baby-ish. It's not a Muppet Babies type of thing. The adult characters are still adults. They just now look like misshapen poorly drawn doodles. The designs are crude and ugly.

The newest DC Super Hero Girls by Lauren Faust is actually pretty good.
          You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• sprytel
            Talkative Member
            • Jun 26, 2009

Originally posted by Wee67
            ^^ I have to admit, I thought of you when I saw this. Not because of nerd rage or anything, but because I know you were really disappointed with this incarnation.
            In that case I have to admit, I always "hear" Raven's voice when I read Werewolf's posts...

Comment

• B-Lister
              Eccentric Weirdo
              • Mar 19, 2010

If you understand the concept of a gag anime, this is what it is.
              Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎