Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Little cheesy music video I was a part off...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hector
    el Hombre de Acero
    • May 19, 2003

Little cheesy music video I was a part off...

I was actually the executive producer...as I spent the most money on it...renting the equipment (school provided video cameras, but we rented 16mm cameras instead), getting permits to film at the Palace of the Legion of Honor building in San Francisco. Working our insurance policies. Buying expensive film. Getting food/drinks for everyone, etc.

This was made way back in 1988. It was part of a San Francisco State video production class (where I was a student).

Then after...we submitted it to MTV’s Basement Tape Series...we came in third.

Ray Cepeda, the dude featured more prominently in the music video posted it on YouTube.

Two semi-famous musicians were in that short-lived band, Santana Percussionist Jose "Chepito" Areas and Atma Anur on Drums, who is known as a solid session drummer for bands as big as Journey. Those two were talented, the rest of the band were fellow college classmates.

Subpar simplistic music, cheesy, dumb, etc. but keep in mind, for 1988, it was not a bad student project.

But anyway, here’s the little video...Dakota Son Love on the Line...

Last edited by Hector; Apr 5, '20, 3:00 PM.
    sigpic
  • Wee67
    Museum Correspondent
    • Apr 2, 2002

This is an excellent student product!! You could put it up against a lot of similar videos of the late 80's. I'm not a fan of the song, but the production values are impressive and the direction choices are on par for the time. Well done.

I used to help shoot videos for friends' bands back in the late 80's and few had this production level. It was mostly post-punk type bands so the videos reflected that rougher, DIY aesthetic. Too often, we broke into a then-closed prison in Philadelphia.
    WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• Hector
      el Hombre de Acero
      • May 19, 2003

Thanks, man! All I know is that we had a blast...fond memories of the entire experience. Ah, to be young again, lol.

Man, you guys broke into a closed prison? Reminds me of us going into the cemetery at night...

Fun times!
      sigpic

Comment

• palitoy
        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
        • Jun 16, 2001

Not bad all things considered really, especially knowing it's a student production. I've seen far worse "professional" music videos.
        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Hector
          el Hombre de Acero
          • May 19, 2003

Thanks!

Yes, I’v seen some pretty bad pro ones myself, lol...
          sigpic

Comment

• J.B.
            Guild Navigator
            • Jun 23, 2010

Hector is being modest here. Notice he hasn't mentioned his involvement in the Billy Squier “Rock Me Tonite” video.
            You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Comment

• Hector
              el Hombre de Acero
              • May 19, 2003

sigpic

Comment

• Jorge Galvan
                Career Member
                • Jun 8, 2015

Really good job! And yes, it is better that some of the bad "pro" ones out there, as I can attest going to Columbia right now.

On a side note, I know Atma was one of Mike Varney's go to guys for playing on Shrapnel releases.

Met Atma many years ago with my bud; (Shrapnel guitarist) Joey Tafolla at NAMM in the 000's.

Here he is jamming with underground greatLorn Leber!

This is from The Market Broiler this summer with Lorn Leber, and John Seppala. This is a Ponty Cover

Comment

• Hector
                  el Hombre de Acero
                  • May 19, 2003

Thanks, man.

When I met Atma, he came across as a bit odd and strange. A bit aloof too. I think he was a bit down as he looked a tad unhappy being part of a subpar band. But I immediately caught on that he was by far the best musician there. I never engaged with him much though.

He’s known as a guitar’s drummer...as he never overplays nor tries to overpower his fellow musicians, he plays along side of them...he knows his place...and compliments others.

Sample:

Glad you got to meet him.
                  sigpic

Comment

• Wee67
                    Museum Correspondent
                    • Apr 2, 2002

Originally posted by Hector
                    Man, you guys broke into a closed prison? Reminds me of us going into the cemetery at night...
                    When I say broke in, it was really a matter of moving some loose boards and keeping an eye for homeless people and junkies. The prison has since re-opened for tours, especially at Halloween.

This is probably the most famous video shot (at least partially) in the prison back when it was closed-
                    WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• J.B.
                      Guild Navigator
                      • Jun 23, 2010

We asked for Mojo Nixon
                      They said he don't work here
                      We said if you don't got Mojo Nixon then your store could use some fixin'

You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Comment

• Hector
                        el Hombre de Acero
                        • May 19, 2003

That’s an awesome place to hang out...especially as a teen with buds and buddettes...

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎