X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Vintage Mego: Jet Jungle

Vintage Mego this week talks about one of the coolest discoveries to rock the Mego Museum collecting community, South Africa’s member of the World’s Greatest Superheroes: Jet Jungle. We talk about the origins of the character, what we know about the figure and the day that we all discovered that our collections were no longer…

More...
  • josephcardone
    Persistent Member
    • Jun 10, 2010

I remember first reading about Jet Jungle and thinking he was sooo cool and we would start seeing a bunch start showing up.

Well. That didn’t happen.

Comment

• ScottA
      Original Member
      • Jun 25, 2001

That was great. I think the Meet exclusive will be the closest I'll ever get to the real one.
      sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• Falstaff13
        Persistent Member
        • May 28, 2008

Thanks--I love the idea of these "localized" figures, and it enhances the idea there's more discoveries to be made.
        Hugh H. Davis

Wanted: Legends of the West (Empire & Excel) and other western historically-based figures. Send me an offer.
        Also interested in figures based on literary characters.

Comment

• josephcardone
          Persistent Member
          • Jun 10, 2010

I really think there are more discoveries to be made. Remember my story with the gentleman who grew up in South Africa that contacted me about pricing other figures. He did not realize what he had. I think this is the case with others being in storage (not in the hands of collectors like us). There may not be thousands out there or even hundreds - but I am certain there are more.

There is another collector who found (2) after me. I will not say who since he may not want me too. Maybe he will post here.

Anyway (sometimes it doesn’t feel real) but here he is now - standing among my other Mego’s

95431261-0FC6-4DA9-AF3C-7E394A48BA17.jpg

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

Great video! I was around here when the discovery was made, but the details have been lost in my fuzzy mind. The actual Jet Jungle radio show audio was a fun addition as well!

Chris
            sigpic

Comment

• Jetjungle75
              Career Member
              • Jan 11, 2013

From the enquiries I have made, and information from the Mego Museum, I have managed to trace about nine original JJ's still out there. Two are boxed, the rest are loose. Of those seven loose, one is dressed in an Action Jackson cowboy out fit. I have pictures of the nine that I have managed to track down. The one Brian has, as featured in his fabulous video, is the only one out of the nine to still have its original JJ decal.The boxed one also featured in the video has a repo badge. The original one has rounded edges.
              The one I managed to pick up from South Africa took me many years to find. The subsequent one I found, belonged to a laby in South Africa. It had white boots on. I have previously posted about it on this forum, along with a picture.
              Below are a couple of pictures of my Jet Jungle:

IMG_20200406_154928.jpg
              IMG_20200313_085827.jpg

As you can see, he is accompanied by Jupiter. Both boxes are reproduction as is the OK Bazaars price sticker.

Comment

• Jetjungle75
                Career Member
                • Jan 11, 2013

These are the nine Jet Jungle figures that I have referred to above:

$T2eC16JHJH8FHRQ9V-DgBSJf(BFH7!~~60_57.jpg (used to belong to Clemso)

1 jj.jpg (the second one I found and belongs to a lady in South Africa)

68788772-372627870298043-6551520362876633088-n jet.jpg ( this belongs to a member of the Mego Museum and was bought from South Africa)

IMG_1279 JET JUNGLE.jpg (This one was also bought from South Africa and belongs to a member who has posted above)

IMG_20181228_115329_HHT.jpg.8ab664b5beadfe35836bc405f2d8bfba JET.jpg (This is my one, as now pictured above in the box, and also from South Africa )

The other four are posted below ( as limited to five pictures)

Comment

• Jetjungle75
                  Career Member
                  • Jan 11, 2013

Here are the other four:

index Jet Jungle.jpg This was posted on the Mego Museum from someone in South Africa who was looking for $13,000.

JJ1.jpg This also belongs to a member of the Mego Museum.

jjlarge.jpg This is the one featured in Brian's video above and has the original JJ decal

original-jet-jungle-mego-figure_1_00d534217da9b6371b1581ad7cea3a7f.jpg This I found on Worth Point. Here is the link: https://www.worthpoint.com/worthoped...gure-109800896

Comment

• TheMegoGuy
                    Museum Super Collector
                    • Jan 26, 2014

Originally posted by Jetjungle75
                    From the enquiries I have made, and information from the Mego Museum, I have managed to trace about nine original JJ's still out there. Two are boxed, the rest are loose. Of those seven loose, one is dressed in an Action Jackson cowboy out fit. I have pictures of the nine that I have managed to track down. The one Brian has, as featured in his fabulous video, is the only one out of the nine to still have its original JJ decal.The boxed one also featured in the video has a repo badge.
                    Someone in South Africa recently posted photos of two figures he owns in the Jet Jungle group on FB. He said its the first time he's shared photos of his figures online. One has the original sticker.

The fittest man in the world... Jet Jungle and his black panther Jupiter, his girlfriend Samantha Muller (Diane Appleby) and faithful scientist friend Prof. Giuseppe "Spaghetti" Valetti (Gordon...

Comment

• clemso
                      Talkative Member
                      • Aug 8, 2001

Here are the other four:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27876[/ATTACH] This was posted on the Mego Museum from someone in South Africa who was looking for $13,000.

[/url]
                      What year was that post? Do you have a link to the original thread. I'm surprised that anyone would post such poor quality image on a figure they are asking such a huge price tag on.

Comment

• clemso
                        Talkative Member
                        • Aug 8, 2001

From the enquiries I have made, and information from the Mego Museum, I have managed to trace about nine original JJ's still out there. Two are boxed, the rest are loose. Of those seven loose, one is dressed in an Action Jackson cowboy out fit. I have pictures of the nine that I have managed to track down. The one Brian has, as featured in his fabulous video, is the only one out of the nine to still have its original JJ decal.The boxed one also featured in the video has a repo badge. The original one has rounded edges.
                        The one I managed to pick up from South Africa took me many years to find. The subsequent one I found, belonged to a laby in South Africa. It had white boots on. I have previously posted about it on this forum, along with a picture.
                        Below are a couple of pictures of my Jet Jungle:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27869[/ATTACH]
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]27870[/ATTACH]

As you can see, he is accompanied by Jupiter. Both boxes are reproduction as is the OK Bazaars price sticker.
                        The boxed JJ featured in the video is the same boxed example originally discovered by 'Jane' and posted in the Mego Museum 2005. I assure you that the decal on that figure is 100% original and is the most pristine mint example of Jet Jungle to date. Please remember, no one knew about Mego Jet Jungle before 2005, why would someone repo the decal before then? and how would they have known what it looked like. Please reconsider your facts.

Comment

• Jetjungle75
                          Career Member
                          • Jan 11, 2013

Well there must have been two types of JJ emblems.

On this site there is a picture showing the JJ emblem:

jjemblem.jpg

And it goes on to state that, "The original JJ emblem is rounded around the corners".

The boxed one definitely does not have rounded edges. Also as previously posted on here, under "Jet Jungle possible head variation", the boxed one seems to have a more " flesh" coloured face, and the white hair is a lot brighter, than all of the others posted above.

Would be interesting to see a picture of the two that a collector has in South Africa (as mentioned above), one of which has the original JJ emblem, to see if it is the same as the boxed one, or has rounded edges.

Comment

• Jetjungle75
                            Career Member
                            • Jan 11, 2013

Re possible head variation. You decide:

$T2eC16VHJHIFFh,owLS+BSJf(vp7vw__60_57.jpg

IMG_20200313_085827.jpg

If you zoom in on both, the heads do appear to be slightly different.

Comment

• clemso
                              Talkative Member
                              • Aug 8, 2001

Well there must have been two types of JJ emblems.

On this site there is a picture showing the JJ emblem:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27887[/ATTACH]

And it goes on to state that, "The original JJ emblem is rounded around the corners".

The boxed one definitely does not have rounded edges. Also as previously posted on here, under "Jet Jungle possible head variation", the boxed one seems to have a more " flesh" coloured face, and the white hair is a lot brighter, than all of the others posted above.

Would be interesting to see a picture of the two that a collector has in South Africa (as mentioned above), one of which has the original JJ emblem, to see if it is the same as the boxed one, or has rounded edges.
                              You have to remember that that box example is as mint fresh as you can get, so the colour tones and paint are going to be as near as factory intended. This should be your benchmark for all other JJs out there. Re original decal, all i can say is that based on Brian's example, the decal is worn around the edges, so its possible that the corners have worn over time, giving it a more rounded shape. Looking at the sample pictured. I can easily see that the decal could have once had sharp corners.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎