Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vintage Mego: Jet Jungle

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetjungle75 View Post
    Here are the other four:

Attachment 27876 This was posted on the Mego Museum from someone in South Africa who was looking for $13,000.

[/url]
    What year was that post? Do you have a link to the original thread. I'm surprised that anyone would post such poor quality image on a figure they are asking such a huge price tag on.

Images
    From the enquiries I have made, and information from the Mego Museum, I have managed to trace about nine original JJ's still out there. Two are boxed, the rest are loose. Of those seven loose, one is dressed in an Action Jackson cowboy out fit. I have pictures of the nine that I have managed to track down. The one Brian has, as featured in his fabulous video, is the only one out of the nine to still have its original JJ decal.The boxed one also featured in the video has a repo badge. The original one has rounded edges.
    The one I managed to pick up from South Africa took me many years to find. The subsequent one I found, belonged to a laby in South Africa. It had white boots on. I have previously posted about it on this forum, along with a picture.
    Below are a couple of pictures of my Jet Jungle:

Attachment 27869
    Attachment 27870

As you can see, he is accompanied by Jupiter. Both boxes are reproduction as is the OK Bazaars price sticker.
    The boxed JJ featured in the video is the same boxed example originally discovered by 'Jane' and posted in the Mego Museum 2005. I assure you that the decal on that figure is 100% original and is the most pristine mint example of Jet Jungle to date. Please remember, no one knew about Mego Jet Jungle before 2005, why would someone repo the decal before then? and how would they have known what it looked like. Please reconsider your facts.

Well there must have been two types of JJ emblems.

On this site there is a picture showing the JJ emblem:

jjemblem.jpg

And it goes on to state that, "The original JJ emblem is rounded around the corners".

The boxed one definitely does not have rounded edges. Also as previously posted on here, under "Jet Jungle possible head variation", the boxed one seems to have a more " flesh" coloured face, and the white hair is a lot brighter, than all of the others posted above.

Would be interesting to see a picture of the two that a collector has in South Africa (as mentioned above), one of which has the original JJ emblem, to see if it is the same as the boxed one, or has rounded edges.

Re possible head variation. You decide:

$T2eC16VHJHIFFh,owLS+BSJf(vp7vw__60_57.jpg

IMG_20200313_085827.jpg

If you zoom in on both, the heads do appear to be slightly different.

Images
    Well there must have been two types of JJ emblems.

On this site there is a picture showing the JJ emblem:

jjemblem.jpg

And it goes on to state that, "The original JJ emblem is rounded around the corners".

The boxed one definitely does not have rounded edges. Also as previously posted on here, under "Jet Jungle possible head variation", the boxed one seems to have a more " flesh" coloured face, and the white hair is a lot brighter, than all of the others posted above.

Would be interesting to see a picture of the two that a collector has in South Africa (as mentioned above), one of which has the original JJ emblem, to see if it is the same as the boxed one, or has rounded edges.
    You have to remember that that box example is as mint fresh as you can get, so the colour tones and paint are going to be as near as factory intended. This should be your benchmark for all other JJs out there. Re original decal, all i can say is that based on Brian's example, the decal is worn around the edges, so its possible that the corners have worn over time, giving it a more rounded shape. Looking at the sample pictured. I can easily see that the decal could have once had sharp corners.

Clemso stated, "Please reconsider your facts."

Was taking my information from the Mego Museum, as posted above, in relation to the JJ emblem, which confirmed that the emblem has "rounded edges".

Mmm, hard to imagine that all four corners would all ware out in uniformity over time. How often would it be handled? Surely at least one edges would remain sharp. Perhaps the Mego site should be amended to reflect what Clemso has stated.

The one I have was placed in a cabinet for well over 40+ years, and the former owner (who inherited it last year from the original owner), confirmed that as a boy, when visiting his nan, he was not allowed to play with it. It always remained on display along with a Mego Tarzan figure. However, he was told that one day he would have it. The seller inherited it last year, and it was from him that I got the figure. I have already mentioned this in a previous post.

So given these facts, the head should be identical to the boxed one, as it is in excellent condition and was not played with. Some of the others as featured above are also in very good to excellent condition, yet not one of them, has the same skin tone as the boxed one. Do the skin tones fade over time? If so why has the boxed one not faded?

Furthermore, prior to 2005, what do we know of the boxed figures background? Had it been kept in the box since 1974, locked up somewhere in the dark? Was it ever played with? It just turned up at a market, and was bought by Jane.

Could it be the JJ head has a possible variation like the Mego Clark Kent/Superman head, one being more reddish in colour.

Interesting point to ponder.......

Images
    Clemso stated, "Please reconsider your facts."

Was taking my information from the Mego Museum, as posted above, in relation to the JJ emblem, which confirmed that the emblem has "rounded edges".
    So the conclusion that the JJ decal has "rounded edges" was based on how many original decals, do you think?

I based my assumption on the one featured on the Mego Museum, as being "the" original, after all it does state that the one featured is "original", when being compared to the CTVT decal.

Why would Mego make some with "rounded" edges and some with sharp edges? I appreciate you stating that the one featured has worn around the edges, but all four corners?

Question then, how does the Mego Museum know for certain that the original emblem has rounded edges? Was this based purely on Brian's figure?

As I said, we need to see the pictures of the one in South Africa, that still has its JJ emblem. I understand that the pictures are on Facebook. I am not on Facebook, so unable to see them.

Perhaps the boxed one that Clemso once owned was either a JJ prototype, or a later produced one using a more reddish head. Seems to have the same type as the Mystery Astronaut. Or could it be that Mego used some of the Mego Batman removable cowl heads, and some of the alter ego Bruce Wayne heads, in order to produce Jet Jungle. I say that because on mine you can see a very faint NY on the back of the neck.

Just a thought....

Sorry I meant to say, NC . If you zoom in you can see a faint NC, on the right hand side of the head. As you know, the Removable cowl BM was inscribed with "N.P.P. Inc".

IMG_20181228_115011_HHT.jpg.449813d9ece125dcb420613c662e312b JET.jpg
    Last edited by Jetjungle75; Apr 8, '20 at 4:25 PM.