X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

DVD cleaning kit

I have a dvd player that has moderate use. Recent viewing had some skips/jerkiness/pixels, but I've cleaned the disk and I'm pretty sure it's not the disks, as the problems are not consistant.

I'm considering getting a cleaning kit for the player itself--any opinions/suggestions?
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

Sounds like the laser could be just going bad.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

Ugh, hope not.
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• toyman
        Just Another Collector
        • Sep 1, 2008

Sometimes the laser gets dust on it, you can take the cover off and clean the laser with a Q-Tip and alcohol, not enough so it drips. Then let it dry before using.

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

Aha, I wasn't sure it was a DIY project, thanks. My TV stand can get dusty...

Comment

• drquest
            ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
            • Apr 17, 2012

Just don't power it on while you have it open. You won't see the light but it will see you.
            Danny(Drquest)
            Captain Action HQ
            Retro shirts and stuff
            More retro shirts
            Stuff For Sale

Comment

• PNGwynne
              Master of Fowl Play
              • Jun 5, 2008

I've cleaned the disk and the lens, no improvement.

If I start the episode from the beginning, it messes up after several minutes. If I fast-forward, it messes up after a few minutes in a new spot. So, it may be the player. The menu works fine. I don't have means to check the episode on another player right now.

Comment

• drquest
                ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
                • Apr 17, 2012

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                I've cleaned the disk and the lens, no improvement.

If I start the episode from the beginning, it messes up after several minutes. If I fast-forward, it messes up after a few minutes in a new spot. So, it may be the player. The menu works fine. I don't have means to check the episode on another player right now.
                Have a computer with a DVD drive in it? You could check there.
                Danny(Drquest)
                Captain Action HQ
                Retro shirts and stuff
                More retro shirts
                Stuff For Sale

Comment

• Hedji
                  Citizen of Gotham
                  • Nov 17, 2012

Silly question... have you tried other DVDs? It could be the disc. Is it a factory pressed DVD or a recordable DVD-R? Disc rot can sometimes happen over time if a layer in the disc gets bad.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                    Master of Fowl Play
                    • Jun 5, 2008

I"ve moved to other disks in the set and they are fine, so you may well be right. Shout Factory-pressed.

Just watched all of Doom Patrol two weeks ago and no worries there, either.

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
                      Moderation Engineer
                      • Aug 14, 2003

I've had discs that were bad in one player and not another, and my solution was to burn a new copy using a PC.

Comment

• Hedji
                        Citizen of Gotham
                        • Nov 17, 2012

If you flip it to the underside of the disc, do you see any spots? This is what disc rot looks like. And sometimes, you just get a bad disc. Even brand new, sometimes there are compatibility issues.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                          Master of Fowl Play
                          • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by EMCE Hammer
                          I've had discs that were bad in one player and not another, and my solution was to burn a new copy using a PC.
                          The dvd player on my very old laptop is is kaput. If I listed what tech I actually own and how dated it is, you'd all on the floor laughing. But I have some of the nicest dolls you've ever seen.

Hedji, the disk is pristine, might have to exchange but that's a headache in a set.

Comment

• Hedji
                            Citizen of Gotham
                            • Nov 17, 2012

Yes, I'd send Shout! an email. Especially if you have proof of purchase somewhere. They might help you out and send you a replacement.

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎