X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Toy-Ventures: Planet of the Apes Playset by Multiple

This week's Toy-Ventures takes us back to the year 3978, a time ruled by Apes. We look at one of the more memorable Planet of the Apes Playsets, while that's usually synonymous with Mego, this is by Multiple Toymakers.

We discuss some of Multiple's more popular toy offerings as well as why exactly Doctor Zaius is wearing a blue outfit.

To Subscribe to our channel click here:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwYta3nz_7FAzPvP8FPSgpg?view_as=subscriber

Pod-Stallions Facebook group:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/2226244254053126/

PlaidStallions Facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/PlaidstallionsdotcomFor more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

I like playsets, so I really enjoyed this though I don't recall these at all from my childhood. Bagged figurines or animals never captured my attention, but adding in the diorama pieces and buildings looks great. That Battle of '76 set is sweet.

The deluxe POTA set is tantalizing.

Thanks for sharing.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• toyhunter1970
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 24, 2020

Originally posted by PNGwynne
      I like playsets, so I really enjoyed this though I don't recall these at all from my childhood. Bagged figurines or animals never captured my attention, but adding in the diorama pieces and buildings looks great. That Battle of '76 set is sweet.

The deluxe POTA set is tantalizing.

Thanks for sharing.
      im with you awesome but never saw any of these back in 70's?

Comment

• Confessional
        Maker & Whatnot
        • Aug 8, 2012

There's much variation across the different versions of the sets too. The hand-painting resulted in some wild/bizarre results, some with no paint at all (hardest to find and only available in the Mini-Set), in addition to six colors of horses, and different contents from box to box. The tree bridge is hard to find in good condition; they are often warped/melted and broken.

The proper thing to do here is, secure the Deluxe Set, then combine it with the One Million B.C. set for Ape City awesomeness!

Comment

• palitoy
          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
          • Jun 16, 2001

I just was told these figures were offered in boxes of tea in the UK.
          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Wee67
            Museum Correspondent
            • Apr 2, 2002

Great video. I love how you switch back and forth between giving perhaps unkown info on well-known toys and showcasing lesser known toys like these. Maybe its not intentional, ,but its appreciated all the same. These seem really cool now as idon't think kid me would've wanted them.

I wonder if I might have seen these as a kid. If I had, I would have likely dismissed them, preferring to pressure my mom's paltry pennies toward Megos. Thus having no memories of them. It seems we did get a wonderful selection of toys in Philly so I wonder how many times this scenario played out.
            WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• Confessional
              Maker & Whatnot
              • Aug 8, 2012

Originally posted by palitoy
              I just was told these figures were offered in boxes of tea in the UK.
              That's been a rumor associated with the UK Empire HCF Mini-Flocked figures for years, as well as being sold in small counter display boxes. First I've heard anyone mentioning that with the MTM product… interesting.

Speaking of the mini flocked, I keep thinking those had to be timed with the Palitoy releases.
              Last edited by Confessional; Mar 26, '20, 11:11 AM. Reason: …micro Mego madhouse!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                Verbose Member
                • Mar 7, 2004

I have the Lone Ranger and Tonto from the set you showed, and I always kind of wondered where they came from. I know Multiple Toymakers made Justice League sets in the late 60s, after the Ideal sets had come and gone. I would love to get those some day, but they are pretty rare and pricey I believe.

I'm a fan of "army men" type figures. I think beyond actual army men, space men, knight, cowboys and Indians sets I had, the PPC Activated Super Heroes are what really clinched loving the format for me. I picked up that canister full of Incredibles 2 figures at the Disney Store last year, and man, I love them!

Thanks again for the wonderful videos. I love it when I see them pop up on my screen. I can't express how much joy and fun distraction you bring via these.

Chris
                sigpic

Comment

• PNGwynne
                  Master of Fowl Play
                  • Jun 5, 2008

Didn't Multiple make that fantastic Aquaman set?
                  WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Mikey
                    Verbose Member
                    • Aug 9, 2001

This is a really cool video !!!

I never knew ANY of these sets existed until today !!!

I really want that X-L5

Comment

• darkmonkeygod
                      Career Member
                      • Sep 5, 2005

Great video, Brian, thanks! Wild to see your follow up post about the large set existing as seen in the catalog. That's ANOTHER thing to go on the wish list!

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎