Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thunderbolt
    Hi Ernie!!!
    • Feb 15, 2004

well I did watch it and when the "creator" has characters named Safespace and Snowflake and another that got his powers through "internet gas" I'm hitting the down button.
    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• thunderbolt
      Hi Ernie!!!
      • Feb 15, 2004

Oops 205K down votes. LOL.
      You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• libby 1957dog
        Persistent Member
        • Sep 3, 2009

Originally posted by thunderbolt
        well I did watch it and when the "creator" has characters named Safespace and Snowflake and another that got his powers through "internet gas" I'm hitting the down button.
        haha but dont forget its his grandpas" internet gas" or the magic backpack

Comment

• thunderbolt
          Hi Ernie!!!
          • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by libby 1957dog
          haha but dont forget its his grandpas" internet gas" or the magic backpack
          yea what's with all the grandpa origins?

Comment

• MRP
            Persistent Member
            • Jul 19, 2016

In the grand scheme of things, how much sillier is internet gas than radioactive spider-bite, magic lightning and chemicals, or magic lantern from space alien as an origin. Super-hero origins are inherently silly. It's all a matter of execution an dhow much verisimilitude the creators can give it.

-M
            "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• thunderbolt
              Hi Ernie!!!
              • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by MRP
              In the grand scheme of things, how much sillier is internet gas than radioactive spider-bite, magic lightning and chemicals, or magic lantern from space alien as an origin. Super-hero origins are inherently silly. It's all a matter of execution an dhow much verisimilitude the creators can give it.

-M
              All of it outside the vampire guy(?) are contrived and will be dated in a few years. They will end up used as cannon fodder in a crisis event as soon as it gets cancelled if it even sees the light of day, Snowflake and Safespace indeed. And I doubt that Kibbles n bits guy can give this anything close to verisimilitude .

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                Muddling through
                • Oct 4, 2008

looks to me like a desperate grab at having relevance to today's youth. what a train wreck.

Comment

• MRP
                  Persistent Member
                  • Jul 19, 2016

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
                  looks to me like a desperate grab at having relevance to today's youth. what a train wreck.
                  Is that any different than what Marvel did in the 70s/80s with all their disco themed characters, their attempts to cash in on the martial arts fad, then in the 90s all their grim and gritty and urban heroes, etc. etc. Marvel has a long history of desperate attempts of trying to cash in on whatever the youth zeitgeist was and the result is usually terrible characters that are featured for a short time and then disappear. And it is always the previous "generation" of fans who grumble the most that this isn't "My Marvel" and a chunk quit reading. I know older ex-fans who claim the Bronze Age ruined Marvel and stopped reading when all those junk characters of the 70s came out, same with the 80s, 90s, the Quesada years, etc. It's the same as it ever was, the more things change, the more they stay the same, and none of them have ever been the end of Marvel. This is no different.

-M
                  "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• thunderbolt
                    Hi Ernie!!!
                    • Feb 15, 2004

didn't know the internet was still a fad. Martial Arts is still a big part of pop culture and one of Marvel's 70s characters from that fad is making his movie debut next year as part of the MCU. Iron Fist has already been a tv show. I doubt the non-binaries(term I never heard of before this mess) are really a fad, more like marvel being tone deaf and more than a bit stereotyping.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                      Muddling through
                      • Oct 4, 2008

Originally posted by MRP
                      Is that any different than what Marvel did in the 70s/80s with all their disco themed characters, their attempts to cash in on the martial arts fad, then in the 90s all their grim and gritty and urban heroes, etc. etc. Marvel has a long history of desperate attempts of trying to cash in on whatever the youth zeitgeist was and the result is usually terrible characters that are featured for a short time and then disappear. And it is always the previous "generation" of fans who grumble the most that this isn't "My Marvel" and a chunk quit reading. I know older ex-fans who claim the Bronze Age ruined Marvel and stopped reading when all those junk characters of the 70s came out, same with the 80s, 90s, the Quesada years, etc. It's the same as it ever was, the more things change, the more they stay the same, and none of them have ever been the end of Marvel. This is no different. -M
                      fair point, but these characters and names, to me screams more along the lines of PC and the woke movement. but either way, I don't buy comics anymore and haven't in many years and whether they stick around or not makes no difference to me

Comment

• thunderbolt
                        Hi Ernie!!!
                        • Feb 15, 2004

looks like DC is backing off 5G. Guess they woke up

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎