X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Origins of Remco Dracula!

My friend Matt strikes again! This time he's uncovered another toy mystery, just exactly who was the source material for the Dracula on this Remco Makeup box? The answer might blow your mind. More after the jump.

Now, to begin, Remco famously sourced the Dracula from their 9" figure box from the modifying an image of Robert Quarry as Count Yorga.

However, we never knew where the Dracula on the makeup kit came from, this is the kind of thing that drives a collector mad, fortunately Matt solved the puzzle.

It’s Udo Kier from “Blood for Dracula” (aka Andy Warhol’s Dracula)

As Matt succinctly puts it "How hilarious that an X-rated film will serve as the model for a children’s makeup package." I couldn't agree more, you wouldn't think a Dracula obsessed with "Whurgins" would be anywhere near the toy department and yet, there he was, 40 years ago.

Thanks to Matt for the awesome discovery and the smile.

Don't forget to join our new facebook group.

For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

Wow, that's nuts. I had never seen that makeup box before, so when I saw it today, I was like "Wow, now Dracula looks like Udo Kier!". I guess Christopher Lee is just too obvious and there are way too many entanglements with distribution rights with Hammer to go for him.

Bela Lugosi, Jr. sure sent licensors in all directions to replace his dad, didn't he?

Chris
    sigpic

Comment

• Hedji
      Citizen of Gotham
      • Nov 17, 2012

VERY COOL! Awesome detective work in finding that publicity still. I wasn't overly familiar with this artwork before, but before I scrolled down, I did actually guess Udo Kier.

Comment

• enyawd72
        Maker of Monsters!
        • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
        Wow, that's nuts. I had never seen that makeup box before, so when I saw it today, I was like "Wow, now Dracula looks like Udo Kier!". I guess Christopher Lee is just too obvious and there are way too many entanglements with distribution rights with Hammer to go for him.

Bela Lugosi, Jr. sure sent licensors in all directions to replace his dad, didn't he?

Chris
        Yep, and what did he gain by it? It could've been Bela on all those iconic toy packages.

Comment

• Werewolf
          Inhuman
          • Jul 14, 2003

Universal had not treated Bela well even as they profited from his name and likeness for decades without compensation. Bela Jr had reason to be and right to be protective of his father. A small royalty payment at the time would have gotten Bela's pictures on those packages. The fault was Universals.
          You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• palitoy
            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
            • Jun 16, 2001

If the Lugosi was receiving nothing for his father's image, what also was to be gained? Exposure? He has plenty.

He probably wasn't easy to deal with and that's on him but I won't deny that he had a right to his father's likeness.
            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
              Verbose Member
              • Mar 7, 2004

Oh, I don't blame Lugosi, Jr. for wanting compensation for his father's image either. I have heard he's difficult to work with, but he's also a lawyer, so he knows his rights, and his father's worth. Like Werewolf said, Bela Sr. was often mistreated by Universal in particular and Hollywood in general, so I understand his son wanting to get some satisfaction for him, even posthumously.

Chris
              sigpic

Comment

• toyhunter1970
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 24, 2020

i never knew the remco dracula box was based on count yorga i bought one in 1980 and i always knew it was no bela lugosi thank you fr the info

Comment

• PNGwynne
                  Master of Fowl Play
                  • Jun 5, 2008

There's a line from Blood for Dracula which I can never get out of my head, but I don't think I can post it.

Great detectice work, these kits are a bit limited but fun!
                  WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Wee67
                    Museum Correspondent
                    • Apr 2, 2002

I thought it was Balki Bartokomous.
                    WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• Goblin19
                      Talkative Member
                      • May 2, 2002

Fascinating discovery. Really quite funny.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                        Often invisible
                        • Jul 18, 2002

Wow! Udo Kier?!?? That is amazing!!
                        Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• cjefferys
                          Duke of Gloat
                          • Apr 23, 2006

That is such a cool discovery, I love it.

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                          There's a line from Blood for Dracula which I can never get out of my head, but I don't think I can post it.

I think I know the quote you are thinking of. I'm a big fan of both this film and Flesh for Frankenstein.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                            Master of Fowl Play
                            • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by cjefferys
                            I think I know the quote you are thinking of.
                            I'm chuckling now thinking of it, I find it darkly funny. It Keir's delivery I think.
                            Last edited by PNGwynne; Mar 24, '20, 5:04 PM.
                            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎