X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Vintage Mego: Close Out Superheroes

This week we talk about the strange oddities like red-carded heroes, Franken Aquaman and these newly discovered World’s Greatest Superheroes in baggies, trust me, it’s a fun mystery! Discuss this in Mego Mania, our facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/megomania/ Or at the World’s Greatest Mego Forum: http://megomuseum.com/community

More...
  • LonnieFisher
    Eloquent Member
    • Jan 19, 2008

Great video, and I wish I had some of those!

Comment

• monitor_ep
      Talkative Member
      • May 11, 2013

Man now I have to find a glow hand Aquaman to add to the collection...
      Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• ScottA
        Original Member
        • Jun 25, 2001

That was cool and of course, now I want a set.

Makes you wonder if the ones listed on the header cards were sold that way.
        sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• Palifan
          Museum Patron
          • Jan 18, 2016

Thanks for putting the video up Brian and looking at the Batman Emblem on the sealed FF figure in the vid I can see it's the same cloth type one I have on mine which let's me know that this FF figure did come with this style emblem. These are all a great find and although I remember growing up in the Uk with Mego figures (I had a FF Spiderman bought from my local shop), I don't ever remember seeing these.

Nice

Ian

Comment

• palitoy
            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
            • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Palifan
            Thanks for putting the video up Brian and looking at the Batman Emblem on the sealed FF figure in the vid I can see it's the same cloth type one I have on mine which let's me know that this FF figure did come with this style emblem. These are all a great find and although I remember growing up in the Uk with Mego figures (I had a FF Spiderman bought from my local shop), I don't ever remember seeing these.

Nice

Ian
            More than one person has mentioned to me since this video was posted that they remember seeing or did purchase them at seaside shops, the kinds of places that sell beach balls and "pales with shovel" sort of items. So I am left to assume a bulk buy happened of loose Mego Superhero product and was sold to one of these distributors who created cheap, makeshift packaging.
            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Palifan
              Museum Patron
              • Jan 18, 2016

Originally posted by palitoy
              More than one person has mentioned to me since this video was posted that they remember seeing or did purchase them at seaside shops, the kinds of places that sell beach balls and "pales with shovel" sort of items. So I am left to assume a bulk buy happened of loose Mego Superhero product and was sold to one of these distributors who created cheap, makeshift packaging.
              That makes sense and I would have been all over these on holiday if I'd seen them......I did get my 30 back Palitoy Han Hoth though one year at the seaside so it wasn't all bad!

Comment

• hedrap
                Permanent Member
                • Feb 10, 2009

This has to be a strain from the Hong Kong/Lion Rock/Palitoy branch. The Northeast store Christmas Tree Shoppe had bins full of polybagged T2 Falcons, some Mxy's (...and one other briefly. Maybe Spidey), at .39 cents. Because of this, my brain has conflated Mego with the aromas of scented pine cones and real wood.

Comment

• palitoy
                  • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by hedrap
                  This has to be a strain from the Hong Kong/Lion Rock/Palitoy branch. The Northeast store Christmas Tree Shoppe had bins full of polybagged T2 Falcons, some Mxy's (...and one other briefly. Maybe Spidey), at .39 cents. Because of this, my brain has conflated Mego with the aromas of scented pine cones and real wood.
                  You know I forgot to mention the Falcons and what you say is interesting. In the 80s and 90s, I knew a collector in Maine who had a never-ending supply of Falcons in mailer boxes, I never kept the mailer box so I don't know if it really was his but the paint apps were weird on them. I still have one around here somewhere.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                    Master of Fowl Play
                    • Jun 5, 2008

These are a little sad to me, yet I loved seeing them.
                    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Confessional
                      Maker & Whatnot
                      • Aug 8, 2012

Jeezuzz, if you break out a monster or an ape in one of these end-of-an-era beautiful mishaps, I'm gonna flip out!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                        Verbose Member
                        • Mar 7, 2004

It's so odd to see actual licensed Mego figures in such a bootleg form of packaging. I hope one of those kites surface, because how often did you see the Human Torch (or just The Torch here) on merchandise without the rest of the FF?

Chris
                        sigpic

Comment

• palitoy
                          • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                          It's so odd to see actual licensed Mego figures in such a bootleg form of packaging. I hope one of those kites surface, because how often did you see the Human Torch (or just The Torch here) on merchandise without the rest of the FF?
                          I never thought to look for the kites but that packaging featuring the crossover heroes like that, it's pretty old school in of itself.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                            Verbose Member
                            • Mar 7, 2004

^Yeah, by the 80s, there was basically no merchandise with both DC and Marvel characters on it together.

Chris
                            sigpic

Comment

• YoungOnce
                              Career Member
                              • Aug 29, 2007

Thank you for the great work... immensely interesting.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎