Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hedji
    Citizen of Gotham
    • Nov 17, 2012

I don't think I have the fortitude to look at those wet market links.

Is there any chance there will be future preventative changes to not interact with certain animals?

Comment

• Werewolf
      Inhuman
      • Jul 14, 2003

The Chinese wet markets are a hell scape filled to overflowing with all kinds of wildlife, like bats, mixed in with house pets like cats and dogs kept in horrific conditions in various stages of sick, dead and dying. Sadly, there's nothing there rest of the world can really do about it. We can't control a closed dictatorship like China. We can control how we will deal with future pandemics and not be so grossly under prepared and glacially slow to act.
      You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• thunderbolt
        Hi Ernie!!!
        • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by PNGwynne
        Great link, WW.

It appears the Ohio primary election is proceeding as scheduled.
        hope you didn't go try to vote.
        You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

I did, I missed the update.
          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• MRP
            Persistent Member
            • Jul 19, 2016

Originally posted by PNGwynne
            I did, I missed the update.
            There were conflicting reports as I went to bed last night, so I tuned in the local news first thing this morning to see if I needed to go vote today or not, so didn't make the wasted trip.

-M
            "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• Hedji
              Citizen of Gotham
              • Nov 17, 2012

Originally posted by Werewolf
              The Chinese wet markets are a hell scape filled to overflowing with all kinds of wildlife, like bats, mixed in with house pets like cats and dogs kept in horrific conditions in various stages of sick, dead and dying. Sadly, there's nothing there rest of the world can really do about it. We can't control a closed dictatorship like China. We can control how we will deal with future pandemics and not be so grossly under prepared and glacially slow to act.
              I can't even bear to think about it. Thank you for explaining it so that I don't have to research it. Your last sentence of your post is really well worded. Thank you!

Comment

• YoungOnce
                Career Member
                • Aug 29, 2007

Originally posted by Hedji
                Your last sentence of your post is really well worded. Thank you!
                Yet ironically....

Sorry Hedji, I couldn't resist.

Comment

• libby 1957dog
                  Persistent Member
                  • Sep 3, 2009

just saw this looks promising ,dont want to build anybodys hope up unrealistically but this is trialed and could be ready to roll out and at least offer some hope to many

Medical authorities in China have said a drug used in Japan to treat new strains of influenza appeared to be effective in coronavirus patients, Japanese media said on Wednesday.

Zhang Xinmin, an official at China’s science and technology ministry, said favipiravir, developed by a subsidiary of Fujifilm, had produced encouraging outcomes in clinical trials in Wuhan and Shenzhen involving 340 patients.

“It has a high degree of safety and is clearly effective in treatment,” Zhang told reporters on Tuesday.

link thumbnail image
                  Coronavirus latest: 18 March at a glance
                  Read more
                  Patients who were given the medicine in Shenzhen turned negative for the virus after a median of four days after becoming positive, compared with a median of 11 days for those who were not treated with the drug, public broadcaster NHK said.

In addition, X-rays confirmed improvements in lung condition in about 91% of the patients who were treated with favipiravir, compared to 62% or those without the drug.

Fujifilm Toyama Chemical, which developed the drug – also known as Avigan – in 2014, has declined to comment on the claims.

Shares in the firm surged on Wednesday following Zhang’s comments, closing the morning up 14.7% at 5,207 yen, having briefly hit their daily limit high of 5,238 yen.

Doctors in Japan are using the same drug in clinical studies on coronavirus patients with mild to moderate symptoms, hoping it will prevent the virus from multiplying in patients.

But a Japanese health ministry source suggested the drug was not as effective in people with more severe symptoms. “We’ve given Avigan to 70 to 80 people, but it doesn’t seem to work that well when the virus has already multiplied,” the source told the Mainichi Shimbun.

The same limitations had been identified in studies involving coronavirus patients using a combination of the HIV antiretrovirals lopinavir and ritonavir, the source added.

In 2016, the Japanese government supplied favipiravir as an emergency aid to counter the Ebola virus outbreak in Guinea.

Favipiravir would need government approval for full-scale use on Covid-19 patients, since it was originally intended to treat flu.

A health official told the Mainichi the drug could be approved as early as May. “But if the results of clinical research are delayed, approval could also be delayed.”

Comment

• TrekStar
                    Trek or Treat
                    • Jan 20, 2011

Originally posted by Werewolf
                    It's not a lab experiment or terrorist act.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...s/summary.html
                    Thank you for that link, it’s good to understand these things. I did do some more research and found out about China’s wet markets which to me personally is absolutely disgusting and it’s been going on for a long time.

And as far as a terrorist act, I know it’s not, but this virus is hurting our economy and people are losing there jobs and it’s almost like saying, we can’t beat America in a war, but if we can cause some epidemic inside the country and badly hurt the economy it’s like a win.
                    Last edited by TrekStar; Mar 18, '20, 7:46 PM.

Comment

• TrekStar
                      Trek or Treat
                      • Jan 20, 2011

I will also say something else about all this, the media is making it sound like the world is going to come to an end. Yes, we need to take precautions and keep good hygiene and watch the elderly and follow the directions of health experts and listen to what President Trump and his team of people are saying, I’m sick and tired of hearing different views from news media saying this and that, it’s like they want to start a nation wide panic, it’s like their job to be negative and now the stock market is down and I just heard the media is comparing it to the 1929 stock market crash.

I am a caregiver taking care of my mother who is 83 and has Alzheimer’s and for cryin out loud I’m afraid to kiss her forehead and give her a hug because I am listening to all the media hype about the elderly getting this virus and I may have it and not know it and unknowingly give it to her and it can kill her?

Remember what FDR said, “The only thing we have to fear is fear itself”

Comment

• Werewolf
                        Inhuman
                        • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by TrekStar
                        follow the directions of health experts and listen to what President Trump and his team of people are saying,
                        Better yet just listen to health experts. Things are really bad right now because of the President's slow response. Not hopeless but we need to be realistic.
                        Last edited by Werewolf; Mar 18, '20, 8:01 PM.
                        You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• TrekStar
                          Trek or Treat
                          • Jan 20, 2011

The President’s slow response because I guess he wants to make sure he gets the facts straight from his health people, before he addresses the public, that plus the fact the media and his opponents are foaming at the mouth for him to make a mistake in all this, I really don’t think our last couple of Presidents would be doing anything different, but that’s jmo.

Comment

• Wee67
                            Museum Correspondent
                            • Apr 2, 2002

Originally posted by TrekStar
                            I am a caregiver taking care of my mother who is 83 and has Alzheimer’s and for cryin out loud I’m afraid to kiss her forehead and give her a hug because I am listening to all the media hype about the elderly getting this virus and I may have it and not know it and unknowingly give it to her and it can kill her?
                            I'm not trying make this sound like the end of the world by simply telling you this, but yes, you can present a danger to your mother. You clearly love her and respect her. Taking care of an Alzheimer patient is very difficult and taking this on is the sign of a loving, caring son. But yes, you can carry the virus without knowing. And yes, if she contracted the virus, it could be very serious. Again, I hope relaying these facts I'm not causing a panic, but they are important. And I believe having the information is important even if the information sucks.
                            WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• Werewolf
                              Inhuman
                              • Jul 14, 2003

Trump and his surrogates and Fox news have been down playing the severity of the virus since January until recently. We need to be honest and realistic. Covid-19 is not a hoax, the common cold or the flu. It is real and very serious. We are in this for the long haul and need to change how we do things.

Comment

• TrekStar
                                Trek or Treat
                                • Jan 20, 2011

Originally posted by Wee67
                                I'm not trying make this sound like the end of the world by simply telling you this, but yes, you can present a danger to your mother. You clearly love her and respect her. Taking care of an Alzheimer patient is very difficult and taking this on is the sign of a loving, caring son. But yes, you can carry the virus without knowing. And yes, if she contracted the virus, it could be very serious. Again, I hope relaying these facts I'm not causing a panic, but they are important. And I believe having the information is important even if the information sucks.
                                I definitely hear what your saying, and believe me I am taking the necessary precautions, like hand washing and sanitizer etc.

I can’t keep my distance because I’m taking care of her, but refraining from giving her a hug that hurts and believe me she picks up on these things and probably wonders why I stopped? but I do tell her she’s loved and she says the same, so that in itself helps.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎