X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brazoo
    Permanent Member
    • Feb 14, 2009

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
    it's not just us in North America though. I have a friend in Germany who said they are under the same restrictions we are in NY, CA and other states. France and Spain too, and of course Italy. this is worldwide
    Absolutely - it is global. France and Spain are being much more restrictive than we here are even discussing yet. So far the only countries that have successfully altered their curve employed much more drastic measures than the ones Canada and the US are using - and tons of people in Canada and the US still aren't even following the minimum suggested guidelines. It is tragic.
    Last edited by Brazoo; Mar 21, '20, 8:42 PM.

Comment

• TrekStar
      Trek or Treat
      • Jan 20, 2011

I found out earlier today, that an elderly person in my town has died from the virus, apparently they already had a medical issue so the combination of their age and health issues is what did it.

Because of this tragic issue, I am even more scared taking care of my mother who’s elderly and has alzheimers,
      all I can do is what I’m doing now, keeping her clean and safe, and use common sense when it comes to me, I’m washing my hands about 20 times a day and keeping the house as clean as possible, I really don’t know what else to do, if there’s any members in the health field, I will welcome any suggestions and thank you.

Comment

• Mikey
        Verbose Member
        • Aug 9, 2001

Originally posted by TrekStar
        I found out earlier today, that an elderly person in my town has died from the virus, apparently they already had a medical issue so the combination of their age and health issues is what did it.

Because of this tragic issue, I am even more scared taking care of my mother who’s elderly and has alzheimers,
        all I can do is what I’m doing now, keeping her clean and safe, and use common sense when it comes to me, I’m washing my hands about 20 times a day and keeping the house as clean as possible, I really don’t know what else to do, if there’s any members in the health field, I will welcome any suggestions and thank you.
        I know nothing about the virus or healthcare but if I were you my first priority would be to keep her thoroughly entertained --- Ask her questions about the old days --- perhaps questions about distant family members from long ago... Play cards with her etc (on her better days) --- Go through old boxes of junk you have in the attic with her

The idea is to minimalize the time she spends watching TV

This might keep up her spirits and strength incase a bug does fly by

If her dementia is beyond the above, i'm sorry for her and you
        Last edited by Mikey; Mar 21, '20, 9:08 PM.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
          Muddling through
          • Oct 4, 2008

I was reading yesterday that Mexico has taken virtually no steps at all. their president was holding up to amulets saying they would protect him. people are still out shopping in open markets just like usual. it's sad because when it hits them like it is hitting the rest of the world, there are going to be so many deaths that might have been prevented, and no other country will be able to help them. we don't even have enough for our own citizens right now

Comment

• thunderbolt
            Hi Ernie!!!
            • Feb 15, 2004

Mexico has 251 reported cases up nearly 20 percent from yesterday, so its hitting now. Tampa/Hillsborough county may be shut down Monday. Desantis seems to be taking a hands off approach ala his overlord.
            You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Confessional
              Maker & Whatnot
              • Aug 8, 2012

…if there’s any members in the health field, I will welcome any suggestions and thank you.
              Not in health care, but I'm currently serving on municipal emergency response team. I would suggest that if you're still moving out and about your area, that you consider a change of clothes as well as washing you face and arms prior to interacting with her. Essential service workers have been advised not to bring *public* clothing, shoes, and equipment into their homes, and to shower.

Also you can read online (several) accounts of folks around the globe who have actually cared for family members who had Covid-19 and recovered. Covering your head/hair, creating a visit/care uniform and designating a public set of clothes, etc.
              Last edited by Confessional; Mar 22, '20, 11:41 AM. Reason: …stay safe out there!

Comment

• Confessional
                Maker & Whatnot
                • Aug 8, 2012

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                yup Amazing that the Mouse was actually the leader starting the closings
                They shut down out here – with tens of thousands (park) to hundreds of thousands (auxiliary) employees – despite an exemption from the Governor. It was a catalyst for other communities and ultimately the state-wide closure. How the hell is FL not following?

Comment

• Wee67
                  Museum Correspondent
                  • Apr 2, 2002

I think it's clear how much you love your mother. And while its good to be concerned don't let your fears overwhelm you. Continue to look for information on health websites and AARP.

Confessional's advice about having a different set of clothes for indoor and outdoors seems very good. While coronavirus doesn't seem to aerialize as well it can remain on surfaces for up to 3 days. You're already washing regularly and doing all the things you can control to maximize safety. One thing I might also suggest when washing is to wash like surgeons do- wash your hands AND forearms thoroughly. Remember you simply can't do everything or find the perfect answer. Your mental health is important at this time, also. I did a few searches on NIH, its British counterpart and the AARP. It seems you are doing everything right by taking this very seriously. Here are just two more things I saw that might help if they are applicable.-

"Mental health charity Mind has tips for those who may be alone or worried about the virus, including putting extra photos up of people you care about, and limiting how long you read the news.
                  It says elderly relatives could also be encouraged to-stay active by cleaning, dancing, or doing seated exercises join an online support community, such as Elefriends

There are also steps to help prevent loneliness in those avoiding contact or staying at home.

Olivia Field, loneliness lead at the British Red Cross, says those staying at home should make sure they find time to do things they enjoy, such as watching TV, reading, writing, art or cooking.
                  "Ensuring you feel stimulated and have fun protects against loneliness and improves your general wellbeing," she says.
                  "Remember there are other ways to connect with friends and family - for example, phone, email, social media.
                  "Talking to people about your worries, about feeling lonely, or simply just about your day, helps.
                  ""

AND

"How can the elderly stay active inside their home and keep themselves entertained?

Even if you are at home, you can walk in the hallways, and walk around your room. It is really important to not just sit or lie down all day. We need to move and get the blood flowing and it is good for overall health. Even small housework is a form of exercise. Secondly, maybe this is a good time to catch up on old movies. In fact, you could have your family watch the same movie on the same day and afterwards catch up and talk about the movie. This might also be a good time to do things that you always wanted to do but never had the time. Maybe write a note to your grandchild."
                  Last edited by Wee67; Mar 22, '20, 10:23 AM.
                  WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                    Hi Ernie!!!
                    • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by Confessional
                    They shut down out here – with tens of thousands (park) to hundreds of thousands (auxiliary) employees – despite an exemption from the Governor. It was a catalyst for other communities and ultimately the state-wide closure. How the hell is FL not following?
                    you have a leader not beholden to his party leader maybe?
                    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• YoungOnce
                      Career Member
                      • Aug 29, 2007

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                      you have a leader not beholden to his party leader maybe?
                      Yeesh.

Comment

• ODBJBG
                        Permanent Member
                        • May 15, 2009

Every day at press conferences I hear about how there's so many masks available... There's so many masks available that my wife is part of a group that's sewing hundreds of for local hospitals and doctors because there's no masks.

Also, family member pretty clearly has Covid. Spent two weeks trying to get a test. Finally got tested last week. It's been 6 days and we're STILL waiting on the test results to come back. Unreal.

However bad you hear it is, it's much worse.

Comment

• MRP
                          Persistent Member
                          • Jul 19, 2016

Ohio's governor just issued a shelter in place order effective Monday at midnight and lasting until April 6.

-M
                          Last edited by MRP; Mar 22, '20, 3:28 PM.
                          "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• Random Axe
                            The Voice of Reason
                            • Apr 16, 2008

Originally posted by MRP
                            Ohio's governor just issues a shelter in place order effective Monday at midnight and lasting until April 6.

-M
                            I just got back from the grocery. The second I saw the announcement we got shoes on and headed out. it was pretty packed but no panic yet. I'm wondering if my Schwans delivery will come Tuesday?
                            I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she dumped me before we met.

If anyone here believes in psychokinesis, please raise my hand.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                              Hi Ernie!!!
                              • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by YoungOnce
                              Yeesh.
                              The guy couldn't seem to pull the trigger on the beaches that were still a last gasp moneymaker for hotels and restaurants so yeah he's dragging his feet and leaving it up to mayors and cities to make the call. Yeesh indeed.

Comment

• drquest
                                ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
                                • Apr 17, 2012

We're in shelter in place in Illinois as well. I work in Missouri, and they ordered that for St. Louis, which covers me as well but my company won't authorize a work from home policy. I used to be a field person, but I'm in an office with 1500 other people and myself and the team I'm over could do all of our work remote with no issue at all. Monday we found out a person on our floor had been tested for the virus and they told everyone on our floor to leave. They then told us they cleaned everything overnight and to come back on Tuesday. We still haven't found out if this person has it or not, no results yet.

I really don't want to bring this back to my wife and kids. It's a safety issue and my company is turning a blind eye.
                                Danny(Drquest)
                                Captain Action HQ
                                Retro shirts and stuff
                                More retro shirts
                                Stuff For Sale

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡