• Nostalgiabuff
    Muddling through
    • Oct 4, 2008

NYC just banned dine in eating too

Comment

• jwyblejr
      galactic yo-yo
      • Apr 6, 2006

Was in Tops yesterday and was weird seeing toilet paper on the shelves. I guess people don't want to pay $7.99 for a four pack. This was the recycled paper stuff.

Comment

• drquest
        ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
        • Apr 17, 2012

Illinois did the no dine in for restaurants and bars as well. My kids are out of school as of today too.

I work in a different state, in an office with 1200+ people and yeah I'm concerned about it. My company said Saturday they aren't considering working remote. The team that works for me, and myself could 100% work remote with no interruption.
        Danny(Drquest)
        Captain Action HQ
        Retro shirts and stuff
        More retro shirts
        Stuff For Sale

Comment

• MRP
          Persistent Member
          • Jul 19, 2016

Well, Big Fun Columbus, a shop a lot of people frequent when at Mego Meet, just announced they are closing until further notice.

-M
          "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• thunderbolt
            Hi Ernie!!!
            • Feb 15, 2004

lot of fast food chains are going drive thru only nationwide
            You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• MRP
              Persistent Member
              • Jul 19, 2016

Regal Cinemas just announced they are closing all US cinemas in the wake of the pandemic.

-M
              "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• TrekStar
                Trek or Treat
                • Jan 20, 2011

So this all started with a species of bat in China? a lab experiment? terrorist act? I really would like to know, I’m not hearing any details on the origin of how this all began, or anything I am trying to research not knowing what is truth and what is false.

Comment

• Werewolf
                  Inhuman
                  • Jul 14, 2003

It's not a lab experiment or terrorist act.

You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• PNGwynne
                    Master of Fowl Play
                    • Jun 5, 2008

Great link, WW.

It appears the Ohio primary election is proceeding as scheduled.
                    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• libby 1957dog
                      Persistent Member
                      • Sep 3, 2009

Originally posted by TrekStar
                      So this all started with a species of bat in China? a lab experiment? terrorist act? I really would like to know, I’m not hearing any details on the origin of how this all began, or anything I am trying to research not knowing what is truth and what is false.
                      why this is happening ,and why it will probably happen again if china doesn't change its attitude to its traditional approach to certain aspects of food preparation

google

chinese wet markets
                      gutter oil
                      they are a tough watch

Comment

• WannabeMego
                        Made in the USA
                        • May 2, 2003

Not sure of the accuracy of the video, but it appears to explain the origin & path of the virus:

What I don't see mentioned as a possible contributing factor is the over-use of Antibiotics in Animal Farming (Crowded Pens) & How common it is to use Antibiotics outside the US for minor issues like the Common Cold, that are causing these strains to adapt & evolve into Super-Strains that resist current Antibiotics & Vaccines.

...BUT...I am NOT a Doctor NOR a Scientist...just curious.
                        Last edited by WannabeMego; Mar 17, '20, 10:37 AM.
                        Everyone is Entitled to MY Opinion...Your's, not so much!

Comment

• libby 1957dog
                          Persistent Member
                          • Sep 3, 2009

by the way I don’t think it’s racist to simply state that the origin of this virus is down to the extremely questionable open markets and the governments initial response to the outbreak.

No doubt some people could use that as a basis to further racist/xenophobic views but just stating that they need to make changes and accept some responsibility isn’t in my view any way unreasonable.
                          this video goes some way to explain the origins of this outbreak and the reasons for the rise of the wetmarkets

Comment

• hedrap
                            Permanent Member
                            • Feb 10, 2009

It's a billion people. They've tried everything as a food dish. The crux of the problem is they don't have the processing standards the west and some of the other eastern countries have, so you have a cross-breeding of animal bacteria and viruses. If you want a dose of shock, go looks at pics and videos for wet markets. You have open cages of different animals stacked on each other. I didn't realize until this week how dangerous bird, especially duck, poop is. It's more bacteria and viruses than waste. So that gets dropped onto secondary animal, like a pig or something, and they eat it. Then people eat them...and here we are.

Comment

• Werewolf
                              Inhuman
                              • Jul 14, 2003

Once you become aware of wet markets you wont be wondering how this happened. You will be surprised it has not happened more often. In the US we generally are behind in food safety in comparison to the stricter levels of Europe. But really nothing compares to the dystopian hell scape nightmare of Chinese wet markets.
                              You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Wee67
                                Museum Correspondent
                                • Apr 2, 2002

Originally posted by Werewolf
                                It's not a lab experiment or terrorist act.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...s/summary.html
                                Thanks for that link. Much more credible than what a friend of my second cousin says on Facebook.

Originally posted by Werewolf
                                Once you become aware of wet markets you wont be wondering how this happened. You will be surprised it has not happened more often. In the US we generally are behind in food safety in comparison to the stricter levels of Europe. But really nothing compares to the dystopian hell scape nightmare of Chinese wet markets.
                                During my visit to China last year, I was taken aback by wet markets and the street markets. Necessity has seemed to encourage people to pull almost anything out of the river and slice it up for a meal. I've experimented with all kinds of different cuisines (kangaroo in Australia, pigeon in Morocco, aged-under-rocks shark in Iceland, even the exotic Poutine!) but I have to admit squeamishness when it came to street meat in China.

Many pandemics and epidemics have their origins in viruses that have circulated between animals for years before making the species jump to humans. SARS, MERS, the Spanish Flu, even the Bubonic Plague originated with a species jump from animals to humans. This exchange dates back to when humans began domesticating animals for food and companionship and, consequently, spending a lot more time around those animals. We have yet to develop any resistance to the new-to-humans virus or disease. If that particular strain happens to also be easily transmitted... well, you get it.

EXTRA NERD NOTE- The Spanish Flu did NOT originate in Spain. It's not clear where it started but scientists think it MAY have started in Great Britain, the U.S. or, yes, you guessed it- China. It was assumed it came from Spain because that's where most of the early reporting came from there. Spain, who remained neutral during WWI, did not see many of the same war-time media censorship of other countries who wanted to lessen the severity to already war weary nations. Spain was free to fully report on all the gory details. Of course, reporting on it lead to accusations that simply reporting on it was sensationalizing the problem and, since the source of the reports were Iberian, it was assumed that the source of the disease was also Spain.
                                WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎