Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The thing that always bugged me about the Planet of the Apes movies.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Confessional
    Maker & Whatnot
    • Aug 8, 2012

Couple thoughts, no fiction…

1. The work of Jane Goodall; 50+ years of research that pretty much debunked most of the accepted primate science, and proved chimps are more like us than we'd like to admit.

2. I've seen every animal imaginable for sale in the State of Florida, in addition to a global black market in exotic and endangered species. The impossible is quite possible.

… I'm glad the Apes won too!
    Last edited by Confessional; Mar 10, '20, 8:53 AM.

Comment

• Confessional
      Maker & Whatnot
      • Aug 8, 2012

Originally posted by Mikey
      … no way after only a few thousand years could the land rise around the statue that much and burry its bottom half
      Coastal erosion. It was buried, along with everything else (IE: BTPOTA), and is being exposed.

… did you sober up yet?

Comment

• Megotastrophe
        Permanent Member
        • Jun 29, 2018

I had always assumed that the same virus that killed the dogs and cats stupefied the people and enlightened the apes. I was glad to see the current ape movies used that for their simian flu.

Comment

• Mikey
          Verbose Member
          • Aug 9, 2001

Originally posted by Confessional

… did you sober up yet?
          I hope so, considering that drunk post was made in 2008

Comment

• Hedji
            Citizen of Gotham
            • Nov 17, 2012

Originally posted by Megotastrophe
            I had always assumed that the same virus that killed the dogs and cats stupefied the people and enlightened the apes. .

Oh I like that! Perfect! That totally works for me now.

Comment

• hedrap
              Permanent Member
              • Feb 10, 2009

The analogy was Rome and the Goths and how Rome destroyed itself from the inside. The humans started off with the small primates as replacements, then once people saw how they could be trained as servants, they went overboard by bringing in apes.

Comment

• Riderfan
                Megos are cool
                • Feb 14, 2012

The one thing that bothers me about the original film is where did the moon go?

Other than that they're just fun movies I otherwise choose not to over analyze
                I've come here to chew bubblegum & kick ***. And I'm all out of bubblegum

(Rowdy Roddy Piper in 'They Live' 1988)

Comment

• MysteryWho
                  Persistent Member
                  • Dec 16, 2008

A lot of stuff from the original POTA series doesn't make sense. I enjoy overthinking these things and coming up with my own rationalizations. Dodge says that there is cloud cover at night, a strange luminosity, yet there is no moon. Perhaps he just could not see it because of the cloud cover. Or the way the earth revolves or orbits has changed slightly, like in Damnation Alley.
                  Originally posted by Riderfan
                  The one thing that bothers me about the original film is where did the moon go?

Other than that they're just fun movies I otherwise choose not to over analyze

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                    Muddling through
                    • Oct 4, 2008

or the moon was destroyed in the war between man and ape. who knows. I just enjoy the movies. always have, always will

Comment

• TrekStar
                      Trek or Treat
                      • Jan 20, 2011

Originally posted by Hector
                      And I’m sorry...nothing more terrifying than humans...they make chimps look like angels.

A chimp will rip your face off and go after your genitalia. But humans will also do that plus rob, con, rape, poison, torture, kill your entire family, steal your identity, decapitate, shoot, pollute, deceive, drive you insane, plan further evil things...and...well...you just can’t compare a chimp to the worlds most dangerous animal...homo sapiens...

I’m glad the Apes won...

So are you saying that Cornelius could actually beat the stuffing out of General Urko?

Comment

• MysteryWho
                        Persistent Member
                        • Dec 16, 2008

Originally posted by TrekStar
                        So are you saying that Cornelius could actually beat the stuffing out of General Urko?
                        Hey Caesar had Aldo up a tree!

Comment

• Werewolf
                          Inhuman
                          • Jul 14, 2003

I've been thinking of more animals people would have gravitated to over chimps. Like pygmy goats and pygmy donkeys. They are sweet, gentle, affectionate and only about the size of a large dog. They are even safe with children because they don't bite or scratch.
                          You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                            Muddling through
                            • Oct 4, 2008

yeah, but planet of the pygmy goats doesn't have the same ring to it

Comment

• Mikey
                              Verbose Member
                              • Aug 9, 2001

Like most sci-fi TV shows and movies the place on the planet where the story is taking place usually represents the whole planet -- which seems unlikely

Like In Star Trek's A Piece of the Action --- Bella is the biggest Boss in the world but he's in the same city as the Second, Third and Fourth Biggest Bosses in the world.

In Star Trek's Miri …. The entire world's most technically advanced offices were in a town the size of Mayberry --- actually it WAS Mayberry

The same goes for Planet of the Apes … Do these Apes REALLY rule the world ? ……… I can't imagine any of them travelling more than 100 miles if that.

Taylor had it right to just leave and look for something else --- For all we know the "Planet of the Apes" was just a large attraction in a human ran zoo.

Comment

• Mr.Marion
                                Permanent Member
                                • Sep 15, 2014

Originally posted by enyawd72
                                EXACTLY. THIS is why I've ALWAYS said Tim Burton's Planet of the Apes has a better story. I don't care what anyone else thinks...it's my favorite Apes film. It took the themes of the original and expanded on them, and created some fantastic original characters in Thade, Attar and Limbo.
                                You have an original opinion I'll give you that.

I believe that was the most I ever paid for a single film DVD. I miss it in theaters and bought it the first weak it come out for $22.99. Of course I was disappointed and watched it only a couple times. Live and learn.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎