X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • B-Lister
    Eccentric Weirdo
    • Mar 19, 2010

Originally posted by EMCE Hammer
    Think of it as referring to Ali as Clay or Kareem as Lew or Kaitlyn as Bruce or Robyn as Scott. I'm not sure when the term came around, but the concept isn't new.
    Perfect examples. Thank you.
    Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• GlobalObserver
      Persistent Member
      • Aug 12, 2004

Originally posted by B-Lister
      Can we please not deadname him?
      With all due respect

It was a six years old little girl named Chastity Bono who asked her mom for MEGO POTA back in 1975.

I fully support and respect Chaz's decision to transition from female to male later in life, but in 1975, Chastity was her mother's daughter, not her son.

Not even cancel culture and political correctness can alter the simple facts & truths of history.

Comment

• Werewolf
        Inhuman
        • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by GlobalObserver

Not even cancel culture and political correctness can alter the simple facts & truths of history.
        It has nothing to do with any of those things. It's just about simple politeness and courtesy.
        You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• MegoRobyn
          Administrator
          • Jun 28, 2016

It's a unique problem of language and history and not all trans people handle it the same way. I shouldn't want to have to acknowledge my gender identity every time I discuss my past life. I feel a little odd talking about playing Batman or Star Trek Megos even though it's perfectly reasonable that a little girl could have liked those things. It sucks to say "well, when I was a little boy I liked playing Han Solo." What to do. The other day in a conversation at a toy show I found myself making up a fictional brother rather than explain having had a Batman Utility Belt.

ANYway. Respect and courtesy dictates that in retrospect he should be called Chaz because that's who he is now. He seemed like a girl at the time but he wasn't.

Comment

• sprytel
            Talkative Member
            • Jun 26, 2009

Originally posted by MegoRobyn
            It's a unique problem of language and history and not all trans people handle it the same way. I shouldn't want to have to acknowledge my gender identity every time I discuss my past life. I feel a little odd talking about playing Batman or Star Trek Megos even though it's perfectly reasonable that a little girl could have liked those things. It sucks to say "well, when I was a little boy I liked playing Han Solo." What to do. The other day in a conversation at a toy show I found myself making up a fictional brother rather than explain having had a Batman Utility Belt.

ANYway. Respect and courtesy dictates that in retrospect he should be called Chaz because that's who he is now. He seemed like a girl at the time but he wasn't.
            I never really thought about that aspect before. That makes me sad that social pressure puts you in that position where "making up a brother" is the best option.

Comment

• MegoRobyn
              Administrator
              • Jun 28, 2016

Originally posted by sprytel
              I never really thought about that aspect before. That makes me sad that social pressure puts you in that position where "making up a brother" is the best option.
              Eh, it's mostly convenience and privacy. I don't want to have a "coming out" discussion with every random person I run across.

Comment

• MegoRobyn
                Administrator
                • Jun 28, 2016

Originally posted by MegoRobyn

Along these lines---and back to the topic at hand---HE ASKED FOR A POTA TREEHOUSE!!! How awesome and, in hindsight, gender appropriate.

Comment

• B-Lister
                  Eccentric Weirdo
                  • Mar 19, 2010

Originally posted by GlobalObserver
                  With all due respect

It was a six years old little girl named Chastity Bono who asked her mom for MEGO POTA back in 1975.

I fully support and respect Chaz's decision to transition from female to male later in life, but in 1975, Chastity was her mother's daughter, not her son.

In the words of Luke Skywalker "Every word of what you just said is wrong". If Chaz asking for Boys toys doesn't make you understand that he identified as male at an early age, the problem is not with him.
                  Last edited by B-Lister; Mar 2, '20, 7:57 PM.
                  Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• RonnyG
                    Career Member
                    • Apr 23, 2014

Thank you MegoRobyn for sharing your perspective and enlightening some of us. I really hope this thread will remain civil and we can all learn from each other.

Now back to the topic: At least Chaz didn't ask for the Mego Cher doll. Imagine having a doll (or action figure) of your own mother, and all the dangerous "make-believe" adventures you could put her through. lol

Comment

• MegoMonk
                      Career Member
                      • Jan 22, 2007

I wonder if Chaz still has Megos. The only celebrity I remember having a Mego collection was Leonardo DiCaprio. I think he wound up selling them all eventually.

Comment

• GlobalObserver
                        Persistent Member
                        • Aug 12, 2004

Originally posted by B-Lister
                        In the words of Luke Skywalker "Every word of what you just said is wrong". If Chaz asking for Boys toys doesn't make you understand that he identified as male at an early age, the problem is not with him.
                        I stand by my original statement.

I hate you break it to you, but there are literally millions of female Sci-Fi fans throughout the world, and most of them are heterosexual, and lots of them played with Sci-Fi-related toys when they were children.

I'm a heterosexual male, and when I was a kid, I enjoyed playing with my cousin Tammy and her Easy Bake Oven.

We also played Doctor & Nurse with her baby dolls.

MEGOs are dolls. Both girls and boys play with dolls.

The MEGO POTA Tree House is a doll house.

The very idea you're promoting that there are toys that are strictly boy toys or strictly girl toys seems very antiquated to me.

As a boy, I can remember other boys making fun of me because I was playing with 'dolls'. (MEGO, GI Joe, MARX, Big Jim, SMDM, etc)

I reject the old fashion notion that children should be discouraged from playing with certain toys because they are traditionally considered to be gender-specific.

As I stated previously, I have nothing but respect for the man Chaz Bono is today, but in 1975, Cher had a 6 years old daughter named Chastity. That is a fact, and I refuse to cancel or revise a very simple and obvious truth.

Comment

• MegoRobyn
                          Administrator
                          • Jun 28, 2016

'nuff said. Let's lock the thread and enjoy the video.

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
                            Moderation Engineer
                            • Aug 14, 2003

Great mimes wink alike.

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡