X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

Custom vacuforming?

Has anyone heard of a service for custom vacuforming? An idea occured to me for custom GI Joe armor.
    Last edited by PNGwynne; Feb 28, '20, 8:42 PM.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.
  • thunderbolt
    Hi Ernie!!!
    • Feb 15, 2004

ha I was just thinking about that for a dome to go over Cliff Steele's Brain.
    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• rche
      channeling Bob Wills
      • Mar 26, 2008

I was learning some puppet making techniques for a class and came across this machine being used for small, hollow bits. Seems fairly inexpensive for what you could possibly do with it. https://www.amazon.com/Forming-Machi...dDbGljaz10cnVl

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

I saw that machine!
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• gman
          Persistent Member
          • Sep 4, 2002

This is the vacuum former that my wife bought me for Christmas.. I know it was nowhere near that expensive...
          I’m using it to form chest armor for some Kamen Rider customs I am working on.
          Don't be sorry. How would you know? You've been watching MTV all your life.

Comment

• TheVintageToyKid
            Career Member
            • Jul 23, 2019

The customizer in this video has a neat way of doing some custom vacuforming... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KsLcA56U1I
            "I thought they didn't allow no bathin' suits in here."

Comment

• LonnieFisher
              Eloquent Member
              • Jan 19, 2008

Originally posted by TheVintageToyKid
              The customizer in this video has a neat way of doing some custom vacuforming... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KsLcA56U1I
              I'd use a heat gun and not a flame torch. I have done this method years and years ago. It doesn't work very well, depending on how picky you are...

Comment

• PNGwynne
                Master of Fowl Play
                • Jun 5, 2008

A bit off-topic, but I saw a small $400 3-D printer at JoAnn's today, of all places. I was surprised at how good the print quality was on the display samples.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                  Eloquent Member
                  • Jan 19, 2008

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                  A bit off-topic, but I saw a small $400 3-D printer at JoAnn's today, of all places. I was surprised at how good the print quality was on the display samples.
                  That's kind of expensive for a 3d printer, I think.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                    Master of Fowl Play
                    • Jun 5, 2008

I have no idea, I never looked before. I guess I thought they were 1,000-1,500 dollars.
                    Last edited by PNGwynne; Mar 8, '20, 9:29 PM.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                      Eloquent Member
                      • Jan 19, 2008

Depending on what you get. They are as cheap as $200 for decent ones. Some are even $100. I don't know what quality the super cheap ones are. You can get really good ones for $250.

Comment

• Capt_Kirk
                        Career Member
                        • Nov 22, 2011

You can make one cheap and easy. I sold mine.

Highly detailed, plain speak plans and books for hobbyists and professionals. Learn how to build a vacuum forming for production runs of 3D printed patterns.
                        "May fortune favor the foolish"

Comment

• ddgaff1132
                          Persistent Member
                          • Oct 3, 2007

Hey... I did a post on this awhile back. Sadly all the picture data got eat'n by photobucket

http://megomuseum.com/community/show...oject!!!!-Yeah!!!
                          Check out my picture library of Mego-ish compatible vehicles with ID data.
                          MEGO MOTORS

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎