Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

I"m so glad, you're welcome--it looks good! And for Nicholas, too--he's one of my favorites.

The Rhett costume is fantastic--I want to make a Ken Phantom of the Opera with it.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

Slowly dipping into the first 200 episodes. I'm up to episode 3. In some ways feels like a totally different show. It's been so long since I've seen Victoria, Joe, and especially Burke, it's like Dark Shadows from a parallel world...or I guess the remaining 1,000 episodes are!

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• RonnyG
        Career Member
        • Apr 23, 2014

I need to watch those early episodes again because I kept dozing off the first time. However, I was totally captivated during the Laura Collins storyline!
        Last edited by RonnyG; Jul 3, '20, 1:48 PM.

Comment

• Figuremod73
          That 80's guy
          • Jul 27, 2011

Just love seeing how you guys think out of the box when it comes to customs.

I'm in the middle of the Leviathan storyline. It's really not as bad as some have tried making it out to be. A lot of off camera imagination is required, I guess.

I'm watching House of Dark Shadows tonight. I saw it on TBS in the mid eighties and I remember it having a more brutal Barnabas in it. Is it true that Frid hated the movie and led to a falling out with Curtis?

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

^I believe so. I think he was particularly put out by the marketing, which he felt was trashy. When the tag line is "Se how the vampires DO IT!", I can kind of understand, especially since the show appealed to such a young audience, despite it not being targeted at them, initially.

My understanding is the more brutal, Hammer-like film, and its marketing, also caused a lot of parents to ban their kids from watching it. So they really cut their throat with that film, despite the first one making MGM a ton of dough.

As for the Leviathan storyline, the back half is pretty good. I got stalled with the never-ending scenes in the antique shop BEFORE the rapidly-aging Jeb arrived. Chris Pennock made the story worth the time, but the emphahsis on the two new characters running the shop left me cold, as well as the suddenly duped Barnabas. Of course the creators figured that bit out, and created the "emergency episode" to turn things around with Barnabas.

Chris

Chris
            Last edited by Earth 2 Chris; Jul 4, '20, 9:15 AM.
            sigpic

Comment

• PNGwynne
              Master of Fowl Play
              • Jun 5, 2008

Jeez, I love this thread, I'm learning a lot. I need to get DS on dvd and start watching.
              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                Verbose Member
                • Mar 7, 2004

A few Dark Shadows sites I have visited on my journey. This is where I gleamed nearly all my DS knowledge, although I'm just a novice:

Dark Shadows Wiki is a comprehensive guide to the 1960's gothic daytime serial, with articles on every character and episode. Discover, share and add your knowledge.

This wiki is exactly what you'd imagine, the hard facts on the characters and each episode. But I do enjoy the notes tying the continuity together, and especially the bloopers they list for each episode.

Halloween, 1969: Barnabas Collins, the reluctant vampire from the ABC-TV soap opera Dark Shadows, appears at the White House to attend Tricia Nixon’s Halloween party for underprivileged child…

A rather cheeky, but very well-written blog that covers the Barnabas saga from episode 210-1170. Hopefully the writer returns someday, but he seemed to be getting rather disenchanted towards the end, so who knows.

Old school DS fandom, with a nice website and cool features. There's a podcast too, but it doesn't come out very often, and focuses a lot on the audio books, which I haven't dipped into yet.

You guys probably already know about these, but in case you don't welcome to the rabbit hole!

Chris
                sigpic

Comment

• PNGwynne
                  Master of Fowl Play
                  • Jun 5, 2008

I've browsed all three of these, too, Chris and enjoy them--good suggestions. The wiki is truly helpful, I've used it when I don't want to look like an idiot here.

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                  A few Dark Shadows sites I have visited on my journey. This is where I gleamed nearly all my DS knowledge, although I'm just a novice:

Dark Shadows Wiki is a comprehensive guide to the 1960's gothic daytime serial, with articles on every character and episode. Discover, share and add your knowledge.

This wiki is exactly what you'd imagine, the hard facts on the characters and each episode. But I do enjoy the notes tying the continuity together, and especially the bloopers they list for each episode.

Halloween, 1969: Barnabas Collins, the reluctant vampire from the ABC-TV soap opera Dark Shadows, appears at the White House to attend Tricia Nixon’s Halloween party for underprivileged child…

A rather cheeky, but very well-written blog that covers the Barnabas saga from episode 210-1170. Hopefully the writer returns someday, but he seemed to be getting rather disenchanted towards the end, so who knows.

Old school DS fandom, with a nice website and cool features. There's a podcast too, but it doesn't come out very often, and focuses a lot on the audio books, which I haven't dipped into yet.

You guys probably already know about these, but in case you don't welcome to the rabbit hole!

Chris
                  Last edited by PNGwynne; Jul 4, '20, 9:42 AM.

Comment

• Figuremod73
                    That 80's guy
                    • Jul 27, 2011

I really enjoyed House of Dark Shadows. I'm sure the character and storyline differences were rather shocking during its original release. I understand that it could be looked at as another parallel story but I'm sure parents didn't understand that!

I'm going to order the 1991 series soon on Amazon. I was pretty upset when it was cancelled in the day. Very little reason for it other than bad timing because of the Gulf War.

Eventually, I'll get around to "The Beginning", but I want to see how different Ben Cross did it while it's fresh in my mind.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                      Verbose Member
                      • Mar 7, 2004

^I like "House" as an alternate take. You can take it as a truer version of what the Barnabas storyline was meant to be. He was meant to be dispatched at the end of the initial Maggie into Josette story. Of course they added the Dr. Hoffman stuff with the cure as well, and having most of the cast die or become vampires wasn't going to happen on the show, but it's still the original intent, not having Barnabas live to become first the anti-hero, and then pretty much the hero!

Chris
                      sigpic

Comment

• PNGwynne
                        Master of Fowl Play
                        • Jun 5, 2008

I'm watching HoDS right now, I can seldom pass it up if it's on. It's been my avatar for the series for decades.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                          Verbose Member
                          • Mar 7, 2004

^I haven't seen House in a while, and need to do so again. I enjoy it's let it all hang out approach. I have never seen Night of DS yet.

Watching the early episodes now, and I realize DS started out as a much more sophisticated show in a lot of ways. It relied on mood and atmosphere to slowly build a sense of impending dread. It's almost like they traded in Val Lewton for Universal Monsters when Barnabas came along. Now, honestly, as much as I admire Lewton's films and enjoy them, on any given day, I'd rather see a straight up monster movie, so Universal is more my style. But I can't argue that Lewton...and by extension this early version of DS is much more...artful.

But man, David was a little sociopath in the early episodes! He creepily talked about lining his schoolmates up and shooting them, which is pretty haunting in a modern context. Yikes.

Chris
                          sigpic

Comment

• Dark Shadow
                            Creature Of The Night
                            • May 14, 2011

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                            ^I haven't seen House in a while, and need to do so again. I enjoy it's let it all hang out approach. I have never seen Night of DS yet.

Watching the early episodes now, and I realize DS started out as a much more sophisticated show in a lot of ways. It relied on mood and atmosphere to slowly build a sense of impending dread. It's almost like they traded in Val Lewton for Universal Monsters when Barnabas came along. Now, honestly, as much as I admire Lewton's films and enjoy them, on any given day, I'd rather see a straight up monster movie, so Universal is more my style. But I can't argue that Lewton...and by extension this early version of DS is much more...artful.

But man, David was a little sociopath in the early episodes! He creepily talked about lining his schoolmates up and shooting them, which is pretty haunting in a modern context. Yikes.

Chris
                            Interesting comparison, Lewton vs. Universal...very fitting.

And yes, David is a very creepy little "bad seed" in the early episodes, isn't he? Especially considering this was afternoon television in 1966!

If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend The Uninvited from 1944. Seems as though this film (or perhaps the novel) made a lasting impression on Dan Curtis.

Comment

• Dark Shadow
                              Creature Of The Night
                              • May 14, 2011

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                              I'm watching HoDS right now, I can seldom pass it up if it's on. It's been my avatar for the series for decades.
                              The first time I saw HoDS was on late night TV in 76, I think shortly after the first syndicated run ended. I wouldn't see it again until the late 80's when Elvira hosted it on afternoon television. I bought the VHS back in the early 90's, and have watched it just about every year around Halloween ever since, or whenever it pops up on TCM.

I really wish we had gone to see it in 2010 when it was run at The Vista theater in LA. Frid (and I think) a few other cast members were hosting it. We thought about getting tickets when we first heard about it, but something came up and we ended up not going

Comment

• PNGwynne
                                Master of Fowl Play
                                • Jun 5, 2008

I have the Criterion edition of The Uninvited, one of my favorites. I like Lewton too, interesting comparison.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎