Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RonnyG
    Career Member
    • Apr 23, 2014

Thanks, guys, for your nice words. I really wanted to buy the few DS action figures that came out ten years ago, but they're selling in the hundreds now on ebay. Then, I got the idea of customizing Barbies into DS characters after seeing someone else do it, and I thought I could do that. I'd much rather have Mego sized DS, but I don't sew well, and it's hard to find outfits that fit Mego size figures. Barbie, on the other hand, has a huge wardrobe so it's easier to find vintage '60s outfits that look like something the characters would wear. It's been fun creating, and has given me something to do during the pandemic. I live in Los Angeles, and we're taking longer to open than the rest of the country.
    I can't wait till Halloween rolls around. I'm, going to stock up on mini tombstones and skeletons, and create a graveyard diorama! lol

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

I bought the DS Spectre Toys with my Mego Meet $$. They do not disappoint, though Barnabas' eyes are painted incorrectly.

I would have loved more: the proposed Josette, Quentin, Adam, and Willy. Had they done those and added Stokes and Dr. Hoffman, it would have costituted a stellar ReMego line.
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Dark Shadow
        Creature Of The Night
        • May 14, 2011

Originally posted by RonnyG
        I'm crazy about Dark Shadows! These aren't Megos, but here's my tribute to the show.
        Those are fantastic! I really appreciate your head selections, outfit choices and hairstyles. Very well done!!! I bought the Majestic 1:6 figures when they came out (late '05/early '06), for about $30 each from Monsters In Motions retail store. At the time, I was a bit strapped and could only justify buying 1 of each. Had I known, had I known...

Comment

• Dark Shadow
          Creature Of The Night
          • May 14, 2011

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
          ^I'm thinking about diving into the books and Big Finish audio dramas.

I binged the final 6 episodes last night. I have to say, I really enjoyed the 1841 Parallel Time story line. I wasn't expecting much, having gathered it was a mistake to soft reboot the show when ratings were down, and it was kind of a half-hearted attempt to save the series. But I found it to be one of the better written and acted eras of the show, perhaps because they didn't have the baggage of 1,000 other episodes, and they also didn't have to pad the story line out as the barrelled toward the satisfying end. I think I preferred it over the standard 1840 story line, despite the absence of Barnabas, etc.

I still have to go back and watch the 209 pre-Barnabas episodes, but I feel like I accomplished something in watching those 1,000 plus episodes!!!

Chris
          Congrats on finishing the initial series release! Glad to hear that you enjoyed the final story line, it really gets a bad rap...but I find it worth the effort. Yeah Barnabas is missed, but it's a short story and interesting in its own right. Hope you find "The Beginning" enjoyable too.

Comment

• Dark Shadow
            Creature Of The Night
            • May 14, 2011

Originally posted by PNGwynne
            I bought the DS Spectre Toys with my Mego Meet $$. They do not disappoint, though Barnabas' eyes are painted incorrectly.

I would have loved more: the proposed Josette, Quentin, Adam, and Willy. Had they done those and added Stokes and Dr. Hoffman, it would have costituted a stellar ReMego line.
            Yeah, I'm not sure why they went with blue eyes, odd choice. I, too, wish the second wave had made it to production, I'm still hopeful that Mego will make it happen. The price demands of the first wave on the second market should be an indicator that there is an interest for these, even if it's exclusive to MPI or Dark Shadows fan sites.

Comment

• Dark Shadow
              Creature Of The Night
              • May 14, 2011

Here are my Majestic figures: Barnabas, Quentin, Werewolf (found a used Majestic body on eBay) and a custom Roger (that I kitbashed from body/head/clothing found at an LA based action figure hobby shop).

20200627_142149 (2).jpg20200627_142123 (2).jpg

Here are my Spectre figures. I bought one full set from Entertainment Earth, which are still sealed, and I bought the extra Angelique & Chris some time later at Big Kid's Toy Store in Burbank. They had one full set, and an extra Chris & Angelique...I left the only Barnabas behind for someone else to "score" figuring I could pick him up again anytime after wave 2 was released.... Still on the hunt for a damaged package/loose Barnabas, or for Willie Loomis to show up and release mine...

I started recreating the "Old House" set when I first heard about the second wave, ended up having to fill it up with extras...lol. Wish I could get a good shot of the whole scene, but the reflective glass makes it impossible. I refer to this display as: "Barnabas Is In Bangor, On Business"

This is the best shot I can get with the door slid open:

20200627_142259 (2).jpg

Other "guests" include: Flattworld Dracula & Coffin, Diamond Select Creature, Mezco 1:12 Frankenstein, FTC Reaper and the Haunted Mansion Pipe Organ & Ghost Player.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                Master of Fowl Play
                • Jun 5, 2008

I'd not seen the 12" Quentin before, that's a lovely figure. Wish a head shrink was available!

I had high hopes thatthe upcoming Mego Hyde and a model head would yield a nice, quick custom Barnabas, but I think the costume will be...unSuitable.
                Last edited by PNGwynne; Jun 27, '20, 7:37 PM.
                WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Dark Shadow
                  Creature Of The Night
                  • May 14, 2011

I'd not seen the 12" Quentin before, that's a lovely figure. Wish a head shrink was available!

I had high hopes thatthe upcoming Mego Hyde and a model head would yield a nice, quick custom Barnabas, but I think the costume will be...unSuitable.
                  The 12" Majestic Quentin came with a Werewolf head & forearm sculpts, it was a very cool set. I think the prototype for the Spectre Quentin was a shrink of the Majestic sculpt.

When I was a kid in the fall of '75, during the first syndication of D.S., I saw a Mego Scotty at a store called Value Fair on closeout. His head was turned to the right in the package, and I saw a resemblance to Frid. I bought that figure, and when I got home, I dug out my old Azrak Dracula and put his costume on Scotty. That was my first Mego custom...Barnabas Collins. I might revisit that idea if I don't have any luck finding a Spectre for a reasonable price.

Frid.jpgScotty (2).jpg

Comment

• PNGwynne
                    Master of Fowl Play
                    • Jun 5, 2008

That's uncanny.

Comment

• RonnyG
                      Career Member
                      • Apr 23, 2014

Originally posted by Dark Shadow

I started recreating the "Old House" set when I first heard about the second wave, ended up having to fill it up with extras...lol. Wish I could get a good shot of the whole scene, but the reflective glass makes it impossible. I refer to this display as: "Barnabas Is In Bangor, On Business"

This is the best shot I can get with the door slid open:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28429[/ATTACH]
                      Nice collection you have there! Especially like the fireplace mantle and all the little touches you added. I've thought about creating my own diorama of the drawing room set, too, --- but I think it would be easier to make a diorama of Eagle Hill Cemetery complete with Styrofoam headstones just like the ones they had on the show!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                        Verbose Member
                        • Mar 7, 2004

Wow, great collection and display, Dark Shadow!

Love the Scotty connection, and your early Custom Mego!

I noticed while watching DS that Frid and Boris Karloff have quite a few facial similarities as well, but it's hard to come by non-Frankenstein or Mummy Karloff sculpts.

Chris
                        sigpic

Comment

• Dark Shadow
                          Creature Of The Night
                          • May 14, 2011

Originally posted by RonnyG
                          Nice collection you have there! Especially like the fireplace mantle and all the little touches you added. I've thought about creating my own diorama of the drawing room set, too, --- but I think it would be easier to make a diorama of Eagle Hill Cemetery complete with Styrofoam headstones just like the ones they had on the show!
                          Thanks RonnyG! Eagle Hill Cemetary would be very cool. My original plan was to have the Old House drawing room on the upper level, the basement with coffin on the mid level, and the mausoleum on the lower level. Put the brakes on the whole thing when 2nd wave was cancelled. I have most of the supplies still, and one day I'll follow through with it, just have to make do with the cast members available and get creative with extras.
                          Last edited by Dark Shadow; Jun 28, '20, 3:18 PM.

Comment

• Dark Shadow
                            Creature Of The Night
                            • May 14, 2011

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                            Wow, great collection and display, Dark Shadow!

Love the Scotty connection, and your early Custom Mego!

I noticed while watching DS that Frid and Boris Karloff have quite a few facial similarities as well, but it's hard to come by non-Frankenstein or Mummy Karloff sculpts.

Chris
                            Thanks Chris...and Wow! Never noticed that before, but yeah, very much so. I have the Boris Karloff Amok 1:6 scale figure, but I have never opened him. Below is a pic I found of the three sculpts that came with the figure. The middle one would do quite nicely...

Comment

• RonnyG
                              Career Member
                              • Apr 23, 2014

I think those are fabulous. Hmmmm, I have a Ken as Rhett Butler Inverness coat that might be perfect for Barnabas.
                              Thanks to your suggestion, my Barnabas has a brand new Inverness coat. I checked out ebay, and they had lots of affordable Rhett Butlers for sale, so I purchased one. I plan on turning Rhett into Nicholas Blair so he won't go to waste.
                              Last edited by RonnyG; Aug 12, '20, 2:01 PM.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                                Verbose Member
                                • Mar 7, 2004

^Nice! And perfect use of Rhett for Nicholas!

Chris
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎