X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dark Shadow
    Creature Of The Night
    • May 14, 2011

Originally posted by RonnyG
    I have to admit that as much as I enjoy the 1795 and 1897 story lines, I do begin to miss the present day characters after a few months.
    Does anyone here read the blog, "Dark Shadows Every Day?" I love how the author analyzes each episode, plus his sarcasm is hilarious.
    Here’s an episode guide for all of the Dark Shadows Every Day posts. For the blog’s greatest hits, check out the “Satan’s Favorite TV Show” tag. April 1967 Introductio…

What really amazes me is that he knows which writer wrote which episode without even looking at their credits based on their writing styles, dialogue, pacing, etc.
    I don't think I've ever thought about the writing team before until I read this entry: https://darkshadowseveryday.com/2015/03/09/episode-601/

Love that blog! Danny took on a Herculean task and I fully appreciate that valiant effort. And I agree, his humor makes it all the more special.

Comment

• Dark Shadow
      Creature Of The Night
      • May 14, 2011

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
      ^Oh yeah, 1897 was great stuff as well. David Selby brought something to the show that wasn't there before. Even when they didn't exactly know what to do with him in later storylines, his presence always elevated the material.

Chris
      I agree completely. I hope they involve him (and some of the others) in the proposed Reincarnation series.

Comment

• Barnabas Collins
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 15, 2010

Speaking of Dark Shadows, I finally got DECADES cable channel back. CONcast took it off a couple of years ago, but it's back now. I started recording it on my DVR every night this week.

Barnabas Collins

Comment

• Dark Shadow
          Creature Of The Night
          • May 14, 2011

Originally posted by Barnabas Collins
          Speaking of Dark Shadows, I finally got DECADES cable channel back. CONcast took it off a couple of years ago, but it's back now. I started recording it on my DVR every night this week.

Barnabas Collins
          Awesome! Where are they in the series right now?

Comment

• RonnyG
            Career Member
            • Apr 23, 2014

Originally posted by Dark Shadow
            Out of curiosity, I checked their schedule, and they're currently in 1795.

Comment

• Barnabas Collins
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 15, 2010

Originally posted by Dark Shadow
              Two of the episodes I watched this week on DECADES were where 1795 Barnabas, under the curse, talks Ben Stokes into driving a stake through his heart, but Angelique won't let him. Josette finds resurrected Barnabas in the mausoleum.

Barnabas Collins

Comment

• Dark Shadow
                Creature Of The Night
                • May 14, 2011

^^ Thank you RonnyG!

^ Almost there on my viewing on Tubi. I started watching "The Beginning" Episode 1 back to back with Episode 210 and was alternating between the two stretches. I finished off "The Beginning" not too long ago, and left off last night on the episode where Barnabas shoots Angelique and gets cursed.

It was fun contrasting the character portrayals from the onset, especially David, Victoria & Maggie.

Comment

• Barnabas Collins
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 15, 2010

As long as I've been a fan of Dark Shadows, and I've had the DVD set for years, I have never seen the first 200 pre-Barnabas episodes (except for the first episode). No real reason, except too much tv and not enough time. I look forward to watching them some day.

Barnabas Collins

Comment

• RonnyG
                    Career Member
                    • Apr 23, 2014

Originally posted by Barnabas Collins
                    As long as I've been a fan of Dark Shadows, and I've had the DVD set for years, I have never seen the first 200 pre-Barnabas episodes (except for the first episode). No real reason, except too much tv and not enough time. I look forward to watching them some day.

Barnabas Collins
                    You got to at least watch the Laura Collins story arc! She makes her first appearance in episode 123 and leaves in 191, so it's only about 70 episodes.
                    I found those early episodes very engrossing and spooky. It's faster paced than the first 100 episodes which I found kinda slow. Apparently, this is a turning point because the ratings were low and Dark Shadows was on the verge of being cancelled, and Dan convinced the network to give him 13 more weeks to pick up the ratings so they went more supernatural and introduced Laura Collins. The ratings did pick up a little more so he was able to convince the network to renew another 13 weeks and that is when he brought in Barnabas and the rest is history!
                    Last edited by RonnyG; Aug 18, '20, 11:26 AM.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                      Verbose Member
                      • Mar 7, 2004

^I find myself falling off the wagon a bit at episode 33. It's interesting, well-written and well-acted, but now that I've gotten past the "newness" of being introduced to all the characters and their dynamics, the story has become pedestrian compared to what I think of for DS. I may continue, or I may just skip to 123 and get to the spook stuff. Although I believe Josette's ghost makes a one-off appearance before Laura, yes?

Chris
                      sigpic

Comment

• RonnyG
                        Career Member
                        • Apr 23, 2014

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                        Although I believe Josette's ghost makes a one-off appearance before Laura, yes?
                        Yes, Josette's ghost appeared before Laura so the show had dipped their toes into the supernatural, but I don't think she made a big impact on the show until after Barnabas was introduced.

Comment

• RonnyG
                          Career Member
                          • Apr 23, 2014

I always thought Diana Millay who plays Laura Collins was an interesting actress to watch. She's kind of theatrical and over-acts a bit--not quite as much as Grayson Hall-- but Diana definitely brings a little camp to the show, which I appreciated.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                            Master of Fowl Play
                            • Jun 5, 2008

She's kind of theatrical and over-acts a bit--not quite as much as Grayson Hall-- but Diana definitely brings a little camp to the show, which I appreciated.
                            A quality I have never disliked in most acting, either. And honestly, isnt that style tailor-made for DS?
                            Last edited by PNGwynne; Aug 18, '20, 5:30 PM.
                            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Barnabas Collins
                              Veteran Member
                              • Feb 15, 2010

I got The Resurrection of Barnabas Collins on DVD about 20 years ago, which had a 20-30 minute summary of the pre-Barnabas Collins episodes. By far, the Laura Collins story was the most intriguing in that summary. I'll get to it some day!

Barnabas Collins

You got to at least watch the Laura Collins story arc! She makes her first appearance in episode 123 and leaves in 191, so it's only about 70 episodes.
                              I found those early episodes very engrossing and spooky. It's faster paced than the first 100 episodes which I found kinda slow. Apparently, this is a turning point because the ratings were low and Dark Shadows was on the verge of being cancelled, and Dan convinced the network to give him 13 more weeks to pick up the ratings so they went more supernatural and introduced Laura Collins. The ratings did pick up a little more so he was able to convince the network to renew another 13 weeks and that is when he brought in Barnabas and the rest is history!

Comment

• jwyblejr
                                galactic yo-yo
                                • Apr 6, 2006

Pluto TV is getting in on the action now. They've added a Dark Shadows channel.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎