X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Salute to the Superheroes Water Ski Show

I found this great vintage Seaworld brochure on eBay recently, this beautiful page has some great shots of the DC Comics Superhero show that used to go on there. How I dreamed of going as a kid.

I did create a nice little gallery about it using photos from the lucky former children that did go.

For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • newlyknighted
    Persistent Member
    • Feb 21, 2010

45 minutes of glorious villainy and the Superfriends?! Those costumes are so legit. What I would not pay to ski along side them in an El Dorado costume.... Thanks for sharing!
    I post in thy general direction!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

I never get tired of seeing more of this show. I just wish a full film/video of this would surface. But thanks as always for sharing!

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• Hedji
        Citizen of Gotham
        • Nov 17, 2012

This looks like one of the rare instances where the reality of the product actually exceeded the promises from the advertisement in the comic book. I'd sell my soul for a movie that had this as the opening credits with the Superfriends March.

Comment

• toyhunter1970
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 24, 2020

thats wild stuff lol

Comment

• PNGwynne
            Master of Fowl Play
            • Jun 5, 2008

I've mentioned here before seeing this show at the Aurora, Ohio SeaWorld in the '70s--'76-'77-'78? I loved Seaworld and we went often.

See this was magical, one of my favorite memories. I thought the costumes and stunts were great. Some things I recall in detail:

*Aquaman demonstrated barefoot waterskiing, he had great stunts and I loved that!
            *Jet-ski chases!
            *The Joker was different in Ohio, with clown face-paint and a green fright-wig. Penguin was also featured.
            *The announcer introduced Green Arrow and I was so excited because I had a Mego GA I loved--but then Green Lantern appeared!
            *I remember seeing someone in a long, hooded rainslicker walking up the steps to the top of the seating near the announcer's booth. Suddenly a character appeared up there--I don't recall who, Riddler?--and I remember making the connection, sneaky.

It was really fun, a dream come true for me. I recall seing the pyramid shot above in Reader's Digest and I pined and pined over it until we went. I wish I had some mementos from the show.
            Last edited by PNGwynne; Feb 27, '20, 6:59 PM.
            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• PNGwynne
              Master of Fowl Play
              • Jun 5, 2008

I don't know how to link it properly (duh), but google Sea World Superheroes and "Noblemania Super '70s and '80s" pops up. It's an exhaustive examination of the show, with discussion of costumes, stunts, training, and cast interviews.

Pictured therein is the Ohio cast, but I can assure you that the Joker I saw was not exactly as pictured.
              Last edited by PNGwynne; Feb 27, '20, 6:35 PM.
              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• monitor_ep
                Talkative Member
                • May 11, 2013

Thanks to youtube I managed to get 4 home movies...so I have added them to my site along with over 100 screen captures...

Salute to the Superheroes Water Ski Show
                Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• Goblin19
                  Talkative Member
                  • May 2, 2002

Definitely one of my fondest memories.

Comment

• monitor_ep
                    Talkative Member
                    • May 11, 2013

I never had the chance to see this growing up in Texas but really wanted to. Back before youtube I would look at trade mags hoping to find a bootleg copy of the performance. Even though the footage I have found is not the filmed straight through at least there is enough footage to see just what happened. The photos that Plaidstallions posted shows the best photo of Lex Luthor in his purple & green.
                    Last edited by monitor_ep; Feb 27, '20, 9:08 PM.
                    Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• Confessional
                      Maker & Whatnot
                      • Aug 8, 2012

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                      I've mentioned here before seeing this show at the Aurora, Ohio SeaWorld in the '70s--'76-'77-'78? I loved Seaworld and we went often…
                      I was there with you, we just weren't toyfriends yet.

I remember them doing the pyramid once but someone on the bottom finched and took out the whole group in the wake… and then Batman hitting the ramp at the wrong angle, going off the side in a whirling tumble. The crowd went wild like Evel taking the fountains at Caeser's!

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎