Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hector
    el Hombre de Acero
    • May 19, 2003

Another one is Little Caesar pizza. I rarely go for cheap pizza. But it approximates the cheap pizza sold at the drive-ins back in the day. It does take me back to my childhood, lol.
    sigpic

Comment

• RonnyG
      Career Member
      • Apr 23, 2014

One food I ate a lot that screams the seventies was Chef Boyardee Pizza. All the ingredients came in a box, and I remember the cheese was actually dry grated Parmesan cheese. My aunt would go one step further and add sliced hot dog pieces to it! LOL But it tasted delicious. However, I haven't ate it in years--- make that DECADES! I think the reason why I stopped eating them was because a lot of affordable pizza chain restaurants popped up in my neighborhood in the 80s. Apparently, they're still making them to this day, so it would be easy to recreate the "experience."

Comment

• Treadwell
        Museum Super Collector
        • Dec 31, 2018

Kellogg's Sugar Frosted Flakes, before they removed sugar from the name (and to a great extent the cereal). The flakes were not golden as they are now, they were WHITE from all the frosting. Heaven.

Comment

• Treadwell
          Museum Super Collector
          • Dec 31, 2018

I remember Mom making Chef Boy-ar-dee pizza. Eventually, though, she would just get the sauce (or, eventually, other brands of sauce) and put it on hoagie rolls and toast them.

Comment

• greensavage2000
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 9, 2013

I'm referring to the previously mentioned location at 2127 E Livingston Ave Columbus,

That's been closed for awhile now. You can Google the property it's for sale. I use to love Arthur Treachers. I'm pretty sure there are none open here anymore. I think they may have a few up in northern Ohio, but I'm not sure.
            Last edited by greensavage2000; Feb 27, '20, 11:24 PM. Reason: Didn't include post I was responding to.

Comment

• rche
              channeling Bob Wills
              • Mar 26, 2008

We used to get banana flavored peanut butter. I think it was called Google, of all things. You cannot replicate the flavor with a real banana and some PB, they had some magic amount of sugar added to that stuff. I think they same company made fudge peanut butter as well, but we usually got the banana kind.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                Often invisible
                • Jul 18, 2002

Originally posted by rche
                We used to get banana flavored peanut butter. I think it was called Google, of all things. You cannot replicate the flavor with a real banana and some PB, they had some magic amount of sugar added to that stuff. I think they same company made fudge peanut butter as well, but we usually got the banana kind.
                I was going to write about this. It was called Koogle and I found a decent modern version of both the chocolate and cinnamon raisin. The brand is Peanut Butter & Co. They don’t have banana, but there’s a white chocolate that I like quite a bit.
                Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                  Often invisible
                  • Jul 18, 2002

Ah, doncha just hate when you double post?
                  Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• Confessional
                    Maker & Whatnot
                    • Aug 8, 2012

I'd like to walk again into a mid-late 70's KFC. *** have they done with the Colenel's secret recipe, 'cause it hasn't been around for decades?

One in a long while I find a retro candy store out in the world that comes close, that's always fun and gets the taste buds cravin'.

… the double post, one of the great MM mysteries! Maybe we need our own retro meme for that?

Comment

• jwyblejr
                      galactic yo-yo
                      • Apr 6, 2006

^I'm with you on KFC. I miss their BBQ chicken. And I don't mean the itty bitty stuff either. I'm talking about how they use to get the full size pieces and you'd get wet naps to clean up all of that messy goodness.

Comment

• palitoy
                        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                        • Jun 16, 2001

I don't eat there often but i find Harvey's still tastes exactly like it did when I was a kid.

Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Makernaut
                          Persistent Member
                          • Jul 22, 2015

Originally posted by Confessional
                          I'd like to walk again into a mid-late 70's KFC. *** have they done with the Colenel's secret recipe, 'cause it hasn't been around for decades?
                          Yes! Back when it was "Kentucky Fried Chicken" instead of "KFC" and they served rolls instead of the chalky biscuits they serve now. I haven't ordered chicken at a KFC in years. I always get some fashion of chicken strips or a Famous Bowl if I stop at a KFC.

I miss the food at Sonic before they went national. It was a better menu and better quality when they were local and then regional. I came back to the States in the mid-90's and the food had lost whatever magic it once had. Sonic, in the 70s and 80s, was a lot closer to being as good as Whataburger is now. Luckily, I have several Whataburger joints close by.

Comment

• neogelion
                            Museum Patron
                            • Mar 11, 2009

Originally posted by Jorge Galvan
                            The best MEATLOAF I ever had was at the cafeteria at WOOLWORTH's on State Street here in Chicago, back in the late 70's and early 80's. It was so tomatoey and red, and even the mash & Gravy was heavenly!!!

Plus they had dinner rolls so fluffly and delicious!

and they had the most delicious taco's too! They were unlike any i ever had then and since then.

Sadly Woolworth's went out of business eons ago and I do miss it for the novelty of the place and of course the food!

Good times.
                            I just read an article about an old Woolworth's in Chicago that is now an antique store but they opened the lunch counter again. Maybe it is the same one?
                            Zombie? Vampire? Evil clown?!? Yes, please.

Comment

• Duncan
                              Museum focus-groupie
                              • Jun 27, 2009

For that institutional cheeseburger taste, I find that reheating the burger makes a big difference. Cook the burger, stick it in the fridge for a few days, then reheat it & add American cheese...and maybe toast & butter the bun.

I miss Gino's, and would love another Gino Giant. I guess they've reopened some places near Philly, so maybe one day.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                                Master of Fowl Play
                                • Jun 5, 2008

It's funny that you mention that, because for decades, my mother would stretch ground beef for patties by adding an egg yolk, bread or saltine crumbs (maybe 1/4 cup per pound?) and minced onion. These were fantastic reheated.
                                WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎