X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

Tastes/Foods of the 70's i'm trying to recapture

1. Drive-Inn movie concession stand cheese burgers … modern roach-coach burger on steroids

2. Arthur Treacher's boneless chicken sandwich

3. Roy Roger's Double R Bar Burger

4. Burger King "Specialty Sandwiches"

5. Taco Bell …. Taco Salad
  • sprytel
    Talkative Member
    • Jun 26, 2009

With health food like that... why not add lead paint and asbestos to the list?!?

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

Egad, I miss Arthur Treacher's. Or as my partner called it, Awful Creatures.
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• monitor_ep
        Talkative Member
        • May 11, 2013

I still cannot believe people used to put salad in Jello???
        gelatin_x1.jpg
        Photo Nov 22, 2012, 1_22 AM.jpg
        gelatin_x2.jpg
        gelatin_x3.jpg
        Last edited by monitor_ep; Feb 27, '20, 1:22 AM.
        Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• Barnabas Collins
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 15, 2010

I used to eat at Arthur Treachers all the time. But only fish, not chicken. What are you...a witch? Now it's Captain D's all the way.

Anyone remember "Fandangos" corn chips from the 70s? I miss those.

Barnabas Collins

Comment

• Wee67
            Museum Correspondent
            • Apr 2, 2002

They still make Bottle Caps candy, but now it comes in thick tablet-like shapes. It used to be thinner and shaped like actual bottle caps. I have no idea why it tastes different to me but it does.

Vanilly Crunch. It always seemed the flavors I liked best lasted the least amount of time.

We didn't make it out to the glory of fast food much in the 70's, but I do also remember the salty goodness of mushrooms on steaks at the Sizzler's.

To be honest, most of my 70's food memories are pretty bad- unevenly heated TV dinners, the cardboard texture of Ellio's frozen pizza and the slightly-off flavor of supermarket brand soda.
            WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
              Verbose Member
              • Mar 7, 2004

1. Drive-Inn movie concession stand cheese burgers … modern roach-coach burger on steroids
              There is a local Drive-In at the next town over that has those greasy, cheesy burgers like that. We only go once a year at best, and I enjoy eating one. There was a local fast food joint called "Old McDonald's Dairy Barn" down the street from my grandparents house that had similar burgers, and man, it takes me back.

Chris
              sigpic

Comment

• Werewolf
                Inhuman
                • Jul 14, 2003

I miss Jello 123.
                You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• RobTMego
                  Career Member
                  • Mar 15, 2013

Mikey,

if you go to Mego meet, there is supposedly a Arthur Treacher's 2127 E Livingston Ave
                  Columbus, OH still open, actually there are three in OH

Comment

• J.B.
                    Guild Navigator
                    • Jun 23, 2010

When I think 70's fast food, the first thing that comes to mind is the 21 Shrimp Basket that I would order at H. Salt Fish & Chips. 21 Popcorn Shrimp served in a small green plastic basket, like what you would find strawberries in. Delicious.
                    You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                      Eloquent Member
                      • Jan 19, 2008

When I was a kid, we had the "carrot and apple" in lime green Jello all the time. It was pretty gross, thinking about it...

Originally posted by monitor_ep
                      I still cannot believe people used to put salad in Jello???
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]27596[/ATTACH]
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]27597[/ATTACH]
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]27598[/ATTACH]
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]27599[/ATTACH]

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                        Eloquent Member
                        • Jan 19, 2008

Originally posted by Werewolf
                        I miss Jello 123.
                        I loved that! I'm going to have to make some 123 today!
                        Jello 1-2-3 Layered Dessert is incredibly easy to make. Use your favorite flavor to make a colorful kid-friendly treat. Get the recipe and make it today!

Comment

• Jorge Galvan
                          Career Member
                          • Jun 8, 2015

The best MEATLOAF I ever had was at the cafeteria at WOOLWORTH's on State Street here in Chicago, back in the late 70's and early 80's. It was so tomatoey and red, and even the mash & Gravy was heavenly!!!

Plus they had dinner rolls so fluffly and delicious!

and they had the most delicious taco's too! They were unlike any i ever had then and since then.

Sadly Woolworth's went out of business eons ago and I do miss it for the novelty of the place and of course the food!

Good times.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                            Master of Fowl Play
                            • Jun 5, 2008

I've always liked certain Jello salads, and aspics like souse. There was a local cafeteria-style retaurant my grandmother favored and it always served orange jello with grated carrots and very thinly-sliced celery in it. A square of this was placed on a bibb lettuce leaf on a small plate; I have a wonderful, nostalgic memory of choosing it and eating it with her.
                            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Hector
                              el Hombre de Acero
                              • May 19, 2003

I always get a nostalgic kick when I get a simple McDonald’s cheeseburger. That’s why when I’m in the mood for a quick fast food bite, Micky Dees does it for me, my childhood favorite. Actually I usually go for a McDouble (which is basically a double cheeseburger with only one slice of cheese instead of two).
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎