Persistent Member
    • Dec 29, 2007

Mezco one 12 planet of the apes

Promising... Very promising...

POTA -Toy-Fair-2020-Mezco-One12-050.jpg
  • Confessional
    Maker & Whatnot
    • Aug 8, 2012

That is a good looking Minister of Science!… and perhaps dispels the popular rumor that the Mouse House isn't workin' the POTA license?

Mezco One 12 = 6.25" vs. NECA Classic = 7" …bummer, and these are $100 a pop; yikes! Anyone think they are worth it?

Knowing-practically nothing about this line, found this out there. Had no idea these were feverishly horded: https://www.toyorigin.com/2019/09/25...12-collective/
    Last edited by Confessional; Feb 23, '20, 11:19 AM. Reason: … scale limbo!

Comment

• enyawd72
      Maker of Monsters!
      • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by Confessional
      That is a good looking Minister of Science!… and perhaps dispels the popular rumor that the Mouse House isn't workin' the POTA license?

Mezco One 12 = 6.25" vs. NECA Classic = 7" …bummer, and these are $100 a pop; yikes! Anyone think they are worth it?

Knowing-practically nothing about this line, found this out there. Had no idea these were feverishly horded: https://www.toyorigin.com/2019/09/25...12-collective/
      I was a huge fan of the One:12 Collective when it first debuted, but quickly soured on it for several reasons. First, they have started, then abandoned several licenses including both Star Trek and Universal Monsters. Trek never got past Kirk, three different Spock variants, and Sulu. McCoy was shown almost five years ago but never released. Universal monsters fared worse. They never made it past Frankenstein. Second, most of the figures don't hold their value. Some of the exclusives have gone through the roof, but I'd be lucky to sell my still sealed Captain Kirk for less than half what it cost me new. There are literally hundreds of figures...dozens of different characters listed on eBay brand new for $20-40 less than what they cost new, and nobody's buying them. I found Wolverine, Dr. Strange, Daredevil, Wonder Woman, Black Panther, Aquaman, Catwoman, Green Lantern, Thor, Iron Man...all listed below retail. I know I lost money selling the ones I had. And to be clear, I don't ever buy toys for investment, but it sucks when something that's supposed to be high end is worth less than what you paid for it six months after you buy it.

Mezco can keep their figures. I'm happy with what NECA, Mego, and Hasbro are putting out.
      Last edited by enyawd72; Feb 23, '20, 12:08 PM.

Comment

• thunderbolt
        Hi Ernie!!!
        • Feb 15, 2004

See if Apes gets anywhere at Mezco, Neca and EMCE didn't get all that far.
        You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• TrekStar
          Trek or Treat
          • Jan 20, 2011

Beautiful figure, but depends on the cost? and I'm guessing these will be a pretty penny.

Comment

• enyawd72
            Maker of Monsters!
            • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by TrekStar
            Beautiful figure, but depends on the cost? and I'm guessing these will be a pretty penny.
            They run between $80 and $100. I'm guessing Zaius will be $80.

Comment

• Palifan
              Museum Patron
              • Jan 18, 2016

As with all things I buy I tend to just pick up what I like and am prepared to pay for them. It does hurt a little when you see the same thing a year later going for less (I know that's happened to me on several of the first Distinctive Dummies I bought), but at least I've no interest in selling most of the things I pick up so it's fine.

This Mezco range is definitely on the pricey side and I've almost completely stopped buying them now (other than the Dawn of the dead 2 pack that I picked up for under retail), but I'd never say never with them as there always might be that special one that comes along for me (Hello Alien figure!). It is a shame that they didn't keep going with the Universal Monster line though.

Ian

Comment

• Confessional
                Maker & Whatnot
                • Aug 8, 2012

^^ Appreciate the intel on these. Thanks!

Do they hold up to handling, posing and (re)dressing? I see there's quite an aftermarket on parts and accessories too.

Comment

• enyawd72
                  Maker of Monsters!
                  • Oct 1, 2009

Do they hold up to handling, posing and (re)dressing? I see there's quite an aftermarket on parts and accessories too.
                  I've heard and seen quite a few reports of the rubberized elements of their superhero costumes not holding up to basic handling. The rubber starts cracking and/or peeling almost right away. To me that's unacceptable on an $80 figure.

It happened on my Daredevil (red comic version) but my Captain America seems fine. Probably because the individual scales are so small, with fabric between them, they can flex more.
                  Last edited by enyawd72; Feb 25, '20, 4:52 PM.

Comment

• Palifan
                    Museum Patron
                    • Jan 18, 2016

I can't answer you on that as i have several but have tended to pose them and then leave them displayed. I do have The Dark Knight version of Batman and Judge Dredd which were there first releases and they still look as fresh as the day I unboxed them so that's a good sign so far.

Ian

Comment

• rykerw1701
                      Persistent Member
                      • Aug 27, 2007

I've probably got about 15 of the Mezco figures, and seem to pick up one or two a year now. So far, every figure has held up, though they mostly sit untouched (and undusted) on a shelf. Dropping the Star Trek line was a tough pill to swallow. Not getting as far as Dr. McCoy in the depth chart really kills the display.

The only ones that seems to keep their value are the Mezco exclusives, and everyone goes nuts for them. Most recently, the Keaton Batman sold out within an hour of being posted.

To bring this back on topic, I'm not optimistic we're going to see a lot of Apes. I think Zaius is going to be spending time alone with Kirk and Spock. At least there will be a Doctor something in there.

Comment

• Palifan
                        Museum Patron
                        • Jan 18, 2016

mentioning Zaius, does anyone else think that's a slightly strange choice for the first figure? For me he wouldn't be my first choice for an Ape series made in this way.

Ian

Comment

• Confessional
                          Maker & Whatnot
                          • Aug 8, 2012

^^ General Ursus and Soldier Apes are forever popular but the good Minister is also not a bad choice, however I think they really should accessorize him well to separate him from the other figures that have been made over the years. Even better, if they included an alternate outfit… not sure if that's a Mezco thing or not.

Comment

• apes3978
                            Permanent Member
                            • Nov 19, 2005

Originally posted by Boywonder0
                            Promising... Very promising...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27568[/ATTACH]

Pretty good looking figure...

I've been reading the comments from you guys, and as much as I hate to say it, from what you've all said, it doesn't seem as though Dr. Zaius will have all that much company. (But I hope I'm wrong about that!)

Comment

• palitoy
                              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                              • Jun 16, 2001

I'm ok if it's a one and done. I am not certain why I feel like that.
                              Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎