• Jun 16, 2001

10 Items you REALLY got from comic book ads

Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

Oh man, I have to watch this!!! Thanks for sharing!

Chris
    sigpic

Comment

• Confessional
      Maker & Whatnot
      • Aug 8, 2012

Terrible voice over aside, fun watch. She picked some of the better/less disappointing ones though… the cardboard ships and space helmet were awesome props in an imaginative kid's realm.

Those damn "animal farms" in Florida sold countess poor creatures for years, well into the late 70's. IE: Humans suck.

Surprised the legendary 100 piece army/battle sets didn't make the list, as those flat scams were cheaper than the worst of the dime store bags of army men. My childhood friend *Robby* convinced his mom to order one of those footlockers and I still remember the look on his face when we opened it! <Hahaha!> Flung that junk (which scattered apart everywhere) into the toy box and pulled we pulled out the Micronauts!
      Last edited by Confessional; Feb 21, '20, 11:00 AM. Reason: … 7 foot Monsters rule!

Comment

• ubermanx
        Career Member
        • Jul 3, 2013

There was a book published recently about this showing examples. I have that book. At work so I didn't watch the YouTube yet.

~ Marty

Comment

• ShadowAvenger
          Career Member
          • May 14, 2007

Originally posted by Confessional
          Surprised the legendary 100 piece army/battle sets didn't make the list, as those flat scams were cheaper than the worst of the dime store bags of army men. My childhood friend *Robby* convinced his mom to order one of those footlockers and I still remember the look on his face when we opened it! <Hahaha!> Flung that junk (which scattered apart everywhere) into the toy box and pulled we pulled out the Micronauts!
          I actually sent off for the WWII footlocker set. They were so fragile that most of them where broken when I received them. I didn't like them at first but I started liking the airplanes. Unfortunately, the thin cardboard "footlocker" didn't last very long and ended being tossed. I had packed the flat toy soldiers away in my grandmother's attic for almost thirty years. I found them again with my other army men about two years ago when my uncle died.
          Read my blog at Moongem Comics about comics, toys and more.

Comment

• enyawd72
            Maker of Monsters!
            • Oct 1, 2009

The only thing I ever ordered were the buggy ice cubes. I still can't believe I wasted a week's allowance on them.
            For some reason though...I had to have them.

Comment

• PNGwynne
              Master of Fowl Play
              • Jun 5, 2008

My sole comic s purchase was a Mego Falcon from Heroes World. I wasn't disappointed.

The animal ads are disturbing, but the rest are fraudulant fun. Makes me think of the decoder ring in A Christmas Story. The wanting is better than the getting.
              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Random Axe
                The Voice of Reason
                • Apr 16, 2008

Sea Monkeys! I have no idea what I was truly expecting, but I'm fairly certain it wasn't brine shrimp
                I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she dumped me before we met.

If anyone here believes in psychokinesis, please raise my hand.

Comment

• Dark Shadow
                  Creature Of The Night
                  • May 14, 2011

I ordered the "Remote Control Ghost" and the "Giant Frankenstein Poster".

The Frankenstein "poster" was printed on two separate white plastic sheets (top & bottom), but was still kinda cool...it pretty much covered the back of my bedroom door.

The "RC" ghost was a white balloon with a face printed on it, a square plastic white sheet, and a piece of white string.

Comment

• Megotastrophe
                    Permanent Member
                    • Jun 29, 2018

There was an episode of a tv show...I think it was cold case...where a kid in the 70s died when he tried to dive to the bottom of the lake in the submarine. Looking back tho...how awesome would that submarine be as a GI Joe AT toy?

Comment

• powersthatbe
                      Persistent Member
                      • Sep 27, 2010

I was looking through an old comic yesterday, remember the holo-man ads with a holo pendant thing?

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                        Verbose Member
                        • Mar 7, 2004

^Rob Kelly and I discussed that on our Power Records podcast. We were wondering if any of the "fan club" and pendant items ever made it out, because the second part of the Book and Record series apparently didn't.

Hosted by Rob Kelly and Chris Franklin (SUPER MATES PODCAST), the POWER RECORDS PODCAST is devoted to the classic book and record sets of the 1970s and 80s. Where the action comes alive!

Chris
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎