Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why do you collect GI JOE?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Makernaut View Post
    I collect because there has been some great re-issues in the last 20 years (the Walmart Adventure Team release of 2007...$10 a figure!....got me into collecting)
    I bought those too. Super nice and the price was insane. Seriously, we will never see that kind of price point for a figure like that at retail ever again.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Images
    Blog Entries
    Those were fantastic, as were Meijer's. Using up 40th overstock was genius and reminiscent of vintage Mego's frugal inventiveness.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; POTA Fortress signal-flasher--top mirrored portion or mirror sticker; POTA Forbidden Zone prison doors, walls, bar; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

AT GI Joe was the first toy I can really remember playing with along with other kids. A neighbor, who's parents had a few bucks, had a good assortment of them, along with the various vehicles. I was hooked. For years at Christmas I'd paw through the Century Housewares catalog (A Western NY catalog store, long since defunct) and rank which GI Joe items I wanted. It was hell trying to rank them, I wanted all of it. Anyway, all my stuff was put away when aged out of it, and when I was in my 30's and my mother told me to get whatever I wanted out of my old closet, I recovered them and started collecting the missing pieces. Then I started getting the things I wanted but never got. Now it's stuff that I think looks fun. It's never been a collecting priority, but every year one or two things things gets added into the collection. The nostalgia factor for GI Joe and Mego is far greater than any other toy I had growing up.

Images
    I only had Adventure Team as a kid, and not many of those, but did have the Troubleshooter vehicle. I guess it's just nostalgia mostly. All those years spent looking at the Wishbooks and seeing all of the cool stuff they made.

I started collecting the vintage stuff in the early 90's, probably 90-91 I guess and finding stuff wasn't easy. There was the Toy Shop "magazine" and I subscribed of course. Those came out every two weeks and I would dive into that quickly when it arrived to see what was for sale. I was traveling a lot in those days for work and would stop at everything little antique shop I could find and would find Joes from time to time, so even then it was the thrill of the hunt too.
    Last edited by drquest; Mar 3, '20 at 8:21 PM.

My aunt had the space capsule and mercury astronaut in her house. It was pretty mesmerizing to a kid who grew up only with Star Wars and Mego.

Later, when RAH hit, my buddy had them, and so I needed them.

I *choke* sold them off in the 90s, and really regret it.

The nostalgia....Reminder of a better time...I actually grew up with Johnny west and big jim, my older brother had the joe stuff...when he moved out he passed it to me...plus I love the artwork on the Adventure Team stuff...now I have an entire wall of boxed AT joe stuff...I have dabbled in other toy lines but Joe will always be my favorite.

Images
    Just like Mego- it reminds me of being a kid again.
    Mortui Vivos Docent
    The Dead Teach the Living

super joe means alot back in 1978 kmart was closing them out at 2 bucks a piece my allowance was 5 dollars a week but i only but super joe darkon was a close second anyways he became my friend for the next 2 years and then he fell apart i was devasted

I decided to collect them when, some years ago, cleaning my parents home cellar, I found my unique GI Joe I had when I was child. Before it I had a lot of Big-Jims but when the muscle bodied GI Joes arrived in Italy, me and my friends desired only this kind of action-figures. Better details than a Big-Jim, better movements, bigger...we loved them immediately and left Big-Jim's world.
    Me and my friend played with them everywhere, but few years after, we started high school and left every toy.
    When I found my Gi Joe in the cellar, it was broken and without all its accessories and I decided to try to restore itde and complete it using eBay. I found a world in this platform!
    After a perfect restore of mine Gi Joe, I decide to buy the other two figures arrived as first issue in Italy. I found also the original boxes! After that, I found all the brochures about them and decided to complete all the following issues.
    Now I had all the Polistil GI Joe issues commercialized in Italy, all with original boxes. I'm very happy to reached this goal!