Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nostalgiabuff
    Muddling through
    • Oct 4, 2008

i was reading on IMDb yesterday that they actually filmed a sequel simultaneously with Man of Bronze but since the first movie tanked at the box office, it was never released. Does anyone know if the are bootlegs of that sequel out there? apparently all that was finished for it was principal filming

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

I had heard that too but though it was debunked. I'm trying to recall the source...

EDIT: Wiki mentions both (but doesn't verify either) the sequel filmed in Tahoe and that in fact only publicity still were taken.
      Last edited by PNGwynne; Feb 23, '20, 8:09 AM.
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
        Muddling through
        • Oct 4, 2008

Originally posted by PNGwynne
        I had heard that too but though it was debunked. I'm trying to recall the source...

EDIT: Wiki mentions both (but doesn't verify either) the sequel filmed in Tahoe and that in fact only publicity still were taken.
        yeah, I found this quote from Ron Ely on wiki

In an interview conducted in 2014, while he was filming the television movie Expecting Amish, actor Ron Ely stated unequivocally that "no portion of The Arch Enemy of Evil was ever filmed, concurrently with The Man of Bronze or otherwise. That's a total myth."

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

Thanks NB. I like the film, too. It's far from perfect, but it tries hard and was my introduction to the character. Thus, it lead me to read and collect the novels, so I'm grateful because those have brought me so much enjoyement.

I can enjoy Batman '66 and Neal Adams Batman, too.
          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
            Muddling through
            • Oct 4, 2008

I rewatched Man of Bronze last night. it's cheesy, but they were clearly going for camp, and so it is a fun, quirky movie. I can see why it did not work at the time though. a lot of the camp does feel forced, but with the passage of time I find it to be a fun little time capsule. Pamela Hensley was just so damn hot too

Comment

• palitoy
              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
              • Jun 16, 2001

The studio messed the Savage, there certainly are elements of Camp in the Pal film but the gleeming teeth and stuff wasn't Pal from what i hear.
              Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• PNGwynne
                Master of Fowl Play
                • Jun 5, 2008

I can believe that. Some of Pal's films are amongst my favorites--Time Machine and I adore Dr. Lao--but even the cheesier Atlantis, The Lost Continent is not corny like Doc Savage is.

I though Monk and Ham were miscast, though.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                  Master of Fowl Play
                  • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
                  I rewatched Man of Bronze last night. it's cheesy, but they were clearly going for camp, and so it is a fun, quirky movie. I can see why it did not work at the time though. a lot of the camp does feel forced, but with the passage of time I find it to be a fun little time capsule. Pamela Hensley was just so damn hot too
                  Successful camp is a very delicate thing. I think you have to play it pretty straight and not wink at your audience too much. It's the difference between Batman season 1 and what followed.

Regarding the proposed TV series, I'd like to see something more like Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow.
                  Last edited by PNGwynne; Feb 23, '20, 9:00 AM.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                    Muddling through
                    • Oct 4, 2008

you're right, it is a fine line with camp. It's funny you mention Sky Captain, that was on TV yesterday and I just thought, that movie really should have worked, but it just didn't. For me at least.

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎