X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MRP
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 19, 2016

Doc Savage TV series in the works

Not quite sure where pulp heroes should fall-comics or sci-fi, so put this here

https://deadline.com/2020/02/doc-sav...st-1202863245/

According to Deadline, Sony Pictures Television and Sony-based Original Film have partnered to develop a Doc Savage TV series. These are the people who produced Preacher, Happy, SWAT and other series and had been developing the Doc Savage feature film with Shane Black and Dwayne Johnson attached that got snafued a couple years back.

They are looking to use the library of Doc pulp stores to adapt as the series progresses. I really do think Doc would work better as a series than a feature, and this could be good, but I am not going to hold my breath for it until somethingmore concrete develops (showrunner, cast, where it will broadcast/stream, etc.)

From the article...

The Man of Bronze is headed to the small screen. Sony Pictures Television and Neal H. Moritz’s Sony-based Original Film have partnered with Condé Nast Entertainment to develop a scripted television series based on the Doc Savage pulp fiction franchise from the Street & Smith library. The project is part of the new three-year deal Original Film signed with the TV studio last summer. The scripted series will chronicle his adventures, featuring rampaging dinosaurs, secret societies led by dastardly villains, fantastic gadgets and weapons, death-dealing traps, hair-raising escapes, and plots to rule the earth.Executive producing the project are Moritz and Pavun Shetty from Original Film, and Oren Katzeff and Jon Koa of Condé Nast Entertainment. Condé Nast acquired the Street & Smith Library in 1959.

Sony first partnered with Moritz’s Original Film to develop a Doc Savage movie, recruiting Shane Black in 2013 to write the script, and signing Dwayne Johnson in 2016 to star as the classic pulp hero. In a 2018 interview, Johnson noted that business affairs-related issues had hindered the project.

While trying to get the feature off the ground, Moritz began contemplating a small-screen adaptation. He felt like, with hundreds of characters and myriad stories featured in the books, the Doc Savage IP would be better served as a TV series where there is more time to explore characters. Original Film has a successful track record adapting comic books/graphic novels to television with The Boys, Preacher and Happy!
    -M
    "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

Cautiously optimistic, I'm a great fan of The Man of Bronze.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Captain
      Fighting the good fight!
      • Jun 17, 2001

Looking forward to it.
      "Crayons taste like purple!"

Comment

• warlock664
        Persistent Member
        • Feb 15, 2009

Well, I’ll be super-amalgamated !
        I’ve been a big Doc fan since 1972, when I picked up the first issue of Marvel’s DOC SAVAGE color comic. I own the entire set of Bantam paperbacks, as well as the more recent Sanctum Books TPBs, and I’d love to see a faithful small screen adaptation. I was honestly dreading the big screen treatment that was being developed with the Rock.

Some crucial things they need to get right:

-make it a period piece. Doc works best in the 1930s/40s
        -play it straight, but don’t “camp” it up, like George Pal’s dreadful 1975 film
        -keep Doc in character; don’t have him bedding a different woman every episode as if he were James Bond

Definitely looking forward to more news as this progresses, and I hope they do the property justice.
        I still lament that the planned mid-60s movie starring Chuck Connors was never made. It was scheduled to be an adaptation of “The Thousand-Headed Man”, and Gold Key even released a comic version, but the film rights couldn’t be negotiated and it was scrapped. The cast assembled was instead utilized to film a western, “Ride Beyond Vengeance”. Connors would’ve made an excellent Doc.
        Last edited by warlock664; Feb 20, '20, 8:14 AM.

Comment

• monitor_ep
          Talkative Member
          • May 11, 2013

Not all characters need to be a movie, as a tv series you can take time and build up the hero. I am looking forward to this if it happens and who knows it may open up for more of the Pulp Era characters...
          Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• PNGwynne
            Master of Fowl Play
            • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by warlock664
            Well, I’ll be super-amalgamated!
            I knew you were my kind of people.

The Connors film tease is tantalizing...
            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
              HULK SMASH!
              • Apr 3, 2010

Has the potential to be great, if handled correctly.
              PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• warlock664
                Persistent Member
                • Feb 15, 2009

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                I knew you were my kind of people.

The Connors film tease is tantalizing...

Other cast members signed for the aborted 60’s Doc film:
                -Michael Rennie (Ham Brooks?)
                -Bill Bixby (Long Tom Roberts?)
                -Claude Akins (Monk Mayfair?)
                -Jamie Farr (William Harper “Johnny” Littlejohn?)

Comment

• PNGwynne
                  Master of Fowl Play
                  • Jun 5, 2008

I was right with you until Farr.

I'll echo the opinion here that this must be a period piece, dieselpunk.
                  Last edited by PNGwynne; Feb 20, '20, 6:50 PM.

Comment

• phil
                    Persistent Member
                    • May 11, 2007

Hopefully it will be set in the 1930s. I agree that the potential is there for a great series but I won't be surprised if it doesn't happen.

Comment

• J.B.
                      Guild Navigator
                      • Jun 23, 2010

I'm embarrassed to admit that this is a character that I know nothing about. To this day, my only connection with Doc is the memory of this jigsaw puzzle that I would see at Lucky's when my parents took me grocery shopping. I need to hit up youtube or google for some research.

You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                        Hi Ernie!!!
                        • Feb 15, 2004

Man, Chuck Connors would have been so perfect for the role. Hope they cast this new one right, The Rock probably could have pulled off the role in the failed movie attempt.
                        You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                          Muddling through
                          • Oct 4, 2008

I like the 70's film. yes it's cheesy, but that is it's charm

Comment

• phil
                            Persistent Member
                            • May 11, 2007

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
                            I like the 70's film. yes it's cheesy, but that is it's charm
                            Even with all its faults I enjoy it. I knew about Doc before seeing it but the movie sparked my serious interest in the character.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                              Muddling through
                              • Oct 4, 2008

I didn't know of him other than that movie. I even tracked it down on DVD from Warner Archives. think i'll go give it another viewing now

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎