X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • J.B.
    Guild Navigator
    • Jun 23, 2010

What was your favorite Park as a kid?

For my friends and me, it was South Gate Park. There was a Tank and an old Fire Truck side by side on a sand lot that the kids loved to play with. The hatches on the Tank were sealed, but you could crawl on top or under it and the same for the Fire Truck. I found some pics of the Tank today. Looks like it was moved to a different section of the park and a fence was put around it. Couldn't find any pics of the Fire Truck. Fond memory: My Cousin, that was a few years younger than me, and I were playing on top of the Tank. I jumped off the back of it. When it was his turn, he thought twice about it. I shamed him into jumping, which he eventually did. Couldn't have twisted his ankle any worse. To this day, he claims he doesn't remember that happening, but I'm sure he does.

There was also this really cool Rocket that you had to climb up levels to get to the top. You could take the slide if you didn't want to go all the way up; but if you got there, there was a big steering wheel to guide your Ship. I couldn't find a pic of the one in South Gate Park, but the one in this pic is identical. There was even the same Saturn looking Jungle Gym near it.

You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

Jenny Jump State Forest

Great for hiking with scenic mountain views

Also has cabins to rent and BBQ areas

Was only a mile away so it was an easy walk

Comment

• thunderbolt
      Hi Ernie!!!
      • Feb 15, 2004

Starved Rock State Park with Starved Rock Lodge and Restaurant adjacent to the park. Fried Walleye!!
      You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Myoldtoys
        Veteran Member
        • May 15, 2012

That park with the tank is awesome. Eleven year old me, dressed in camo, would have never left that park. That would have been the centerpiece for our war games.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

The nameless park literally across the street from my house. It had two slides, a merry-go-round, monkey bars, a big swing set, and a basketball court. It also sits on a hill, making it perfect for sled riding in the winter or riding bikes down, etc. At the bottom is a creek, which was also good for jumping, playing in, etc. That same creek ran under the street and came out behind my backyard. Against our parents orders, we explored the tunnels under the streets too.

My friends and I were constantly there, all year long, no matter the weather. There was a wooded area behind the basketball court, and one time I snuck off to pee (why I didn't just go down to my house, I don't know), and actually found a first issue Grunt figure from GI Joe: RAH. Obviously lost by another kid, it was a treasure to me.

My Dad still lives in my childhood home, and the park is still there, although all the equipment has been updated, other than the frame of the swing set. Lots of great memories there.

Chris
          sigpic

Comment

• Mikey
            Verbose Member
            • Aug 9, 2001

I never see monkey bars and merry-go-rounds in public parks and play areas anymore … Were they banned ?

I've been witness to a few merry-go-round mishaps one ending in a broken leg

Comment

• jwyblejr
              galactic yo-yo
              • Apr 6, 2006

Neahwa Park in Oneonta,NY. Use to have some cool swings with pump handles on them. You use to have to pump the handles to get the swing going. also not far away was the ball field where the Oneonta Yankees use to play. Got to see John Elway when he had his dispute over playing football and played briefly with the Yankees.

Comment

• VintageJoe70
                Veteran Member
                • Oct 12, 2016

Originally posted by J.B.
                For my friends and me, it was South Gate Park. There was a Tank and an old Fire Truck side by side on a sand lot that the kids loved to play with. The hatches on the Tank were sealed, but you could crawl on top or under it and the same for the Fire Truck. I found some pics of the Tank today. Looks like it was moved to a different section of the park and a fence was put around it. Couldn't find any pics of the Fire Truck. Fond memory: My Cousin, that was a few years younger than me, and I were playing on top of the Tank. I jumped off the back of it. When it was his turn, he thought twice about it. I shamed him into jumping, which he eventually did. Couldn't have twisted his ankle any worse. To this day, he claims he doesn't remember that happening, but I'm sure he does.

There was also this really cool Rocket that you had to climb up levels to get to the top. You could take the slide if you didn't want to go all the way up; but if you got there, there was a big steering wheel to guide your Ship. I couldn't find a pic of the one in South Gate Park, but the one in this pic is identical. There was even the same Saturn looking Jungle Gym near it.

That rocket play set reminds of the exact one they had across from us at Barksdale AFB back in the 70s...maybe it was just popular with the whole space thing going on at the time....
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/148083...57673799016342

Comment

• Wee67
                  Museum Correspondent
                  • Apr 2, 2002

Probably Fairmount Park in Philly but that's a bit like saying your favorite park was Central Park in NY. I loved the section stretching behind the Philly Art Museum.

As far as playgrounds go, I have fond memories of another weird one- the McDonald's playground near my grandparents house in the Wissinoming section of Philly. I loved crawling up inside the Big Mac thing.

and I love the shaking back and forth in the Grimace cage

WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎