X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Pod Stallions 75: Saturn 3

What happens when the director of "Singing in the Rain" directs an Alien knock off?

We're joined once again by David Weiner, former editor of Famous Monsters and director of the upcoming film "In Search of Tomorrow" for a rousing discussion of the 1980 classic(?) Science Fiction thriller "Saturn 3".

We discuss the interesting story behind the making, Farrah Fawcett, the Ed Bishop cameo, Starlog, the internal conflicts, the resulting parody novel and well, did this film get better after 40 years? Join us.

Please give us spirited debate in our new Facebook group.

PODSTALLIONS ON ITUNES
    PODSTALLIONS RSS FEED

For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • Hedji
    Citizen of Gotham
    • Nov 17, 2012

Welp, looks like I've got homework! Time to see if this film is streaming anywhere. It's been on my list forever, since I became aware of its score before I knew of the film itself. I've just never gotten to it.

Comment

• Mikey
      Verbose Member
      • Aug 9, 2001

Originally posted by Hedji
      Welp, looks like I've got homework! Time to see if this film is streaming anywhere. It's been on my list forever, since I became aware of its score before I knew of the film itself. I've just never gotten to it.

m

Comment

• Werewolf
        Inhuman
        • Jul 14, 2003

For starters Farah being the love interest of Kirk Douglas is a little creepy.
        You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Mikey
          Verbose Member
          • Aug 9, 2001

Originally posted by Werewolf
          I think Farah can handle herself if Kirk gets out of line … STRAIGHT IN THE FIREPLACE he goes

Comment

• Wee67
            Museum Correspondent
            • Apr 2, 2002

That's what I remember about this movie, or at least what I remember about the advertisements. I never saw the movie. Even as a kid in the times when males stars regularly seniored their female co-stars by 10 or even 20 years, the glaring age difference grossed me out.
            WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• Werewolf
              Inhuman
              • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Wee67
              I never saw the movie. Even as a kid in the times when males stars regularly seniored their female co-stars by 10 or even 20 years, the glaring age difference grossed me out.
              Yeah, he would have been about twice her age at the time. It's a little icky.
              You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• acrovader
                Career Member
                • Jan 19, 2011

A small, flimsy movie. There's really no depth at all to this movie. That might be its intent, but the end result is a bad film.
                I am more than machine. More than man. More than a fusion of the two.

Comment

• palitoy
                  live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                  • Jun 16, 2001

I'm not sure if the May/December thing was planned or just happened because of the two big names the film got. It is a part of the tension of the film (or was supposed to be better fleshed out) with the younger Keitel threatening Douglas's masculinity, so at the very least, it's part of the plot.

Which i can't say for most 90s Sean Connery movies....
                  Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                  http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                    HULK SMASH!
                    • Apr 3, 2010

Always liked Saturn 3. Not a great movie, but worth a look.
                    PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Mikey
                      Verbose Member
                      • Aug 9, 2001

Hector was a cool robot

The pumped body and tiny head looks weird enough that it works

Comment

• tay666
                        Career Member
                        • Dec 27, 2008

It's been so long since I have seen this movie, I can't remember much about it.
                        I know I watched it a bunch of times, back in the day, as it seemed to always be on HBO for a long stretch back then.

Comment

• Makernaut
                          Persistent Member
                          • Jul 22, 2015

That Farrah lady was kind of pretty. She should have been on a poster or something.

Comment

• knight errant00
                            8 Inch Action Figure
                            • Nov 15, 2005

Originally posted by Makernaut
                            That Farrah lady was kind of pretty. She should have been on a poster or something.
                            Right... Who'd buy that?

Comment

• sprytel
                              Talkative Member
                              • Jun 26, 2009

Really enjoyed the podcast (way better than the movie!). Always great when David joins in on the fun.

As long as we are talking '80s sci-fi... I'd love to hear a deep dive on Looker or Runaway.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎