X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hedji
    Citizen of Gotham
    • Nov 17, 2012

Originally posted by danadoll
    It's horrible, I've got a few things from EBay that triggered my Asthma (I'm not kidding)
    Oh my lord, that IS terrible! Yuck!!!

Comment

• monitor_ep
      Talkative Member
      • May 11, 2013

I have a box set aside with baking soda for this purpose. Baking soda will pull the order away but haven't tried it with material yet.

To be truthfull I have a station where I unpack all my purchases. It may sound strange to some but you just never know who sent them and what they had. I keep Clorox wipes, alcohol wipes, a box with dryer sheets, a box with baking soda, rubber gloves, Lysol and Febreze there. I wipe down all action figures first. If the smell is still they go to the decontamination chamber (baking soda or dryer sheet) this usually will take the smell out.

I know it seems a little far fetched but I have been order off of Ebay since they have started and the amount of smell I have gotten in is not funny. It has taken me awhile to figure out this process so I do this for everthing. I have a nephew that was a preemie when born so he is allergic to so much that when I order stuff for him the station really helps.
      Last edited by monitor_ep; Feb 15, '20, 11:08 AM.
      Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• Barnabas Collins
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 15, 2010

Sprinkle baking soda on and around the toys, seal the toys and entire box of baking soda in Tupperware-type containers, and close the lid. Leave the toys in the bin for several days. When you remove them, the cigarette smell should be gone. For the baking soda, you can buy a version at the store with a "vent" on the side of the box--this is baking soda you can store in your refrigerator to limit food odors.

This reminds me of when I was at a smoker's house for a visit. They did not smoke while I as there. Then back home and that night changing into my PJs, I noticed my underwear smelled like smoke. Gross.

Barnabas Collins

Comment

• Barnabas Collins
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 15, 2010

I like your "decontamination chamber" idea.

Barnabas Collins

Originally posted by monitor_ep
          I have a box set aside with baking soda for this purpose. Baking soda will pull the order away but haven't tried it with material yet.

To be truthfull I have a station where I unpack all my purchases. It may sound strange to some but you just never know who sent them and what they had. I keep Clorox wipes, alcohol wipes, a box with dryer sheets, a box with baking soda, rubber gloves, Lysol and Febreze there. I wipe down all action figures first. If the smell is still they go to the decontamination chamber (baking soda or dryer sheet) this usually will take the smell out.

I know it seems a little far fetched but I have been order off of Ebay since they have started and the amount of smell I have gotten in is not funny. It has taken me awhile to figure out this process so I do this for everthing. I have a nephew that was a preemie when born so he is allergic to so much that when I order stuff for him the station really helps.

Comment

• PNGwynne
            Master of Fowl Play
            • Jun 5, 2008

I would try baking soda, but the "sandbags" are quite porous and I dont want them infused with powder.
            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• sprytel
              Talkative Member
              • Jun 26, 2009

Originally posted by monitor_ep

I was going to say that with the coronavirus making headlines, this is probably even more important... but then I looked it up and found it can probably only survive a couple of hours outside of a host. Still... people are gross. So I fully endorse this idea.

Comment

• tay666
                Career Member
                • Dec 27, 2008

Originally posted by danadoll
                Smokers really don't realize how bad it smells.

Dana
                No, we don't.
                But I learned many years ago the the odor does bother non-smokers.
                Back in the early 2000's I used to trade live concert recordings on CD via mail.
                One of my frequent trading partners, out on the west coast, used to comment that he knew the padded envelope came from me before he even looked at the mailing labels, just from the smell.

Since then I have always added a notation on auctions and online sale listings in other places.
                Some people don't want to deal with it at all, so there is no sense wasting the time and energy if they are going to be unhappy and want to return an item.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                  Master of Fowl Play
                  • Jun 5, 2008

I bought a GI Joe lot about 4 years ago, seemingly stored in a barn--greasily filthy and smelling of manure. Things cleaned up well, but I was never able to fully remove the smell. I tried baking soda, white vinegar, dryer sheets. I've had the Joe sitting in an open box for 3.5 years, to no avail.

Last Friday, I bought some Poopph! spray at wally, and it work very well on the figure! The manure smell is gone, though the figure still has a slight mustiness.
                  WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                    Verbose Member
                    • Mar 7, 2004

Last Friday, I bought some Poopph! spray at wally, and it work very well on the figure! The manure smell is gone, though the figure still has a slight mustiness.
                    Nice to know they have this at Wallyworld. I've seen the commericals, and was interested for musty collectibles, and our old male cat who has taken to scenting around our furnace vents! YUCK!!!
                    sigpic

Comment

• rche
                      channeling Bob Wills
                      • Mar 26, 2008

the dryer sheet can do the trick. I have also used coffee grounds to absorb odors. I wrap them in cheese cloth so things don't get dusty from the coffee.

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎