X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Mint Off Card: The Black Hole by Diamond Select Toys

This week’s installment of “Mint Off Card” we take a look at the figures based on the movie “The Black Hole” by Diamond Select Toys. Mego famously covered this line in 1980 and I’m excited to finally see a new range of figures. Come explore the unknown with me! You can buy…

More...
  • enyawd72
    Maker of Monsters!
    • Oct 1, 2009

Interestingly, the two sculpted panel lines on either side of Maximilian's visor are a mistake. They aren't there on the actual robot. The sculptors mistakenly saw the visible wires in photos and thought they were panels.

Last edited by enyawd72; Feb 11, '20, 10:25 PM.

Comment

• powersthatbe
      Persistent Member
      • Sep 27, 2010

So looking forward to these. This and DST making TRON figures as well has been such a highlight.

Comment

• Hedji
        Citizen of Gotham
        • Nov 17, 2012

Thank you for the video. ORDERED!

Comment

• drquest
          ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
          • Apr 17, 2012

My Vincent and Old Bob are slated to arrive Friday. Max will be a little later.
          Danny(Drquest)
          Captain Action HQ
          Retro shirts and stuff
          More retro shirts
          Stuff For Sale

Comment

• Godzilla
            Permanent Member
            • Nov 3, 2002

The robots look like they would be in scale with 8 inch Black Hole figures. Mego custom anyone?
            Mortui Vivos Docent
            The Dead Teach the Living

Comment

• Werewolf
              Inhuman
              • Jul 14, 2003

Those are spiffy. I always thought Vincent was adorbs looking. Terrific designs in that movie.
              You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Hedji
                Citizen of Gotham
                • Nov 17, 2012

I agree with Palitoy... a Wave 2 of S.T.A.R., Sentry, and Humanoid would be aces. Seems like it could be fairly cost effective when you consider you'd get two figures from the same mold tooling, and Humanoid is fairly simple (from a layman's point of view).

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                  Verbose Member
                  • Mar 7, 2004

Man, these look nice. Great review. I'm sure you know this, but Diamond also has Vinimates of these characters:

It’s almost Valentine’s Day, and what better way to say “I love you,” than with the gift of Diamond Select Toys? Ten new items hit stores today from DST, and any of them would be a touching expression of your feelings for that special someone. Disney classics like Tron and The Black Hole, comic char
                  sigpic

Comment

• Werewolf
                    Inhuman
                    • Jul 14, 2003

Honestly the extra lines on Max doesn't really bother me. I've never been one for 100 percent accuracy. Like, I actually prefer stuff like the vintage sized scaled down Kenner X-wings and Tie-fighters to the newer larger more accurate movie scaled ones. But I can still totally understand it bugging people.
                    Last edited by Werewolf; Feb 13, '20, 6:12 PM.
                    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• palitoy
                      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                      • Jun 16, 2001

I think the lines are an interesting anecdote but the toy is so full of win, it certainly doesn't detract for me. Oddly enough i want to use wire to hang these from my ceiling.
                      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Hedji
                        Citizen of Gotham
                        • Nov 17, 2012

Lines, no lines... It's BLACK HOLE, BABY!!! Can't wait to get these guys.

Comment

• monitor_ep
                          Talkative Member
                          • May 11, 2013

What size Mego do they fit in with?

Those do look great and I really want them but money is getting tight so....
                          Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• drquest
                            ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
                            • Apr 17, 2012

I finally had a chance to open up my VINCENT and OLD BOB. These are super cool! The little extras that Brian outlined really help push these over the top.

A little note, I didn't get Maximilian yet(will be soon), and the diorama of the Cygnus bridge actually comes in two pieces. One part you get with VINCENT and BOB and the other part comes with Max. There's some little adapters that also comes with it and that's to allow you to connect several of the bridge pieces together, which I hope means the Sentry and STAR and Humanoid will be coming as well.

Here's a picture I took. This has the two new ones, the original VINCENT(I sadly don't have an original BOB), the magnetic VINCENT, the Marx wind-up VINCENT, and the Medicom/Kubrick VINCENT and BOB for size comparisons.

Please buy these so we can get more of them made!

Danny(Drquest)
                            Captain Action HQ
                            Retro shirts and stuff
                            More retro shirts
                            Stuff For Sale

Comment

• Hedji
                              Citizen of Gotham
                              • Nov 17, 2012

Wow! What a nice collection!

I saw someone on social media complaining the NECA figures are too heavy for their plastic stands. Anyone with these in hand have issues of them pulling the stand down, with the stand joints being too loose to support the weight?

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎