X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rykerw1701
    Persistent Member
    • Aug 27, 2007

Toy Shows

I don’t go to many toy shows anymore, but each year I take the kids to one near Philadelphia called Zolocon. Zolocon is in a place each called “The Fuge” which is an old Navy facility for testing G-forces on test subjects in a centrifuge. The place looks like NASA closed the doors in 1970 and said “We’re done” because it looks like the Apollo 11 Control Room. Great place for a show.

Anyway, Mego old and new and Mego adjacent stuff was in abundant supply, which was great to see. The prices on the vintage stuff was crazy high, but I have all I want anyway. Even three years ago there was almost nothing related to Mego at this show, so it was good to see so much there. Hope it’s the same thing in other shows, too.

Conversely, almost no 12 inch GI Joe, and what little was there was either nasty junk or crazy priced, or both.

The show itself has expanded over the last 5 years or so, but it’s also become harder to find anything that wasn’t ebay ++ pricing. It’s almost never worth the time to ask “How much?” when you see the rows of regular dealers with the glass case boxes on the tables.
  • ODBJBG
    Permanent Member
    • May 15, 2009

I've bought a ton of stuff from Zolo through the years, love their Realm of the Underworld lines, but I've never been to Zolocon. Sounds like it's really gotten huge.

I'm not sure what is worse when it comes to cons though. Non-toy cons where people think every beat up old figure is worth thousands "cause it's vintage" or actual toy shows where dealers are looking to make a profit based on the fact that they "had to drive here and haul all this stuff with me"... It just sort of becomes a moot point after a while. Sometimes you can find rare stuff that doesn't pop up online and sometimes you can find a deal, but it's gotten harder and harder.

Comment

• Mr.Marion
      Permanent Member
      • Sep 15, 2014

Originally posted by ODBJBG
      I've bought a ton of stuff from Zolo through the years, love their Realm of the Underworld lines, but I've never been to Zolocon. Sounds like it's really gotten huge.

I'm not sure what is worse when it comes to cons though. Non-toy cons where people think every beat up old figure is worth thousands "cause it's vintage" or actual toy shows where dealers are looking to make a profit based on the fact that they "had to drive here and haul all this stuff with me"... It just sort of becomes a moot point after a while. Sometimes you can find rare stuff that doesn't pop up online and sometimes you can find a deal, but it's gotten harder and harder.
      Agreed the problem is everyone is a dealer .The I have doubles and want to break even guy or the person who is doing spring cleaning and wants it gone are few and far between.
      That's why we see a $75 loose Darth Vader or AFA toy biz Batman . It really makes me miss the old days.

Comment

• B-Lister
        Eccentric Weirdo
        • Mar 19, 2010

I went to Winter Wonder Festival 2020 held at Makuhari Messe in Chiba Tokyo, Japan this past Sunday. While there wasn't a LOT of vintage, there was some. Mostly vintage vinyl and kits. Plenty to look at/see, but it was a mad scramble for some show exclusives.

I did score a sweet vinyl by Medicom, of Takuya Yamashiro. Toei's Spider Man. I'll post a pic when I get home, but I have a LONG flight ahead of me.
        Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• ScottA
          Original Member
          • Jun 25, 2001

I wish I could go to more. I travel for Mego Meet and try and hit Toylanta each March since Atlanta is only 3 hours from me.

I'd go to more but there just aren't that many close to me. I have been to Knoxville before - I think that was 5-6 hours.
          sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎