Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hedji
    Citizen of Gotham
    • Nov 17, 2012

Yes, his humble personality only make him more admirable.

It's interesting how his career has really bucked the system.

1960's - Early 70's: Contemporary scoring. Very much in keeping with the time. Some jazz, and modernistic, sparse orchestral.

Post Star Wars - Makes Korngoldian composition of yesterday hip again. Even the chameleon (and genius in his own right) Jerry Goldsmith would follow this lead as the 1980s embraced the throwback big orchestra sound.

2000's - Today - Williams' scoring becomes more complex, yet somewhat less "hummable". More modern, less romantic. Yet in the wake of Hans Zimmer and the layers of synth scoring, Williams still does his own thing. I think, unfortunately, he's been around so long that he is taken for granted in Hollywood. He is, to my knowledge, the only major composer who doesn't use a computer to compose. No synth mockups. Just paper and pencil. He has always worked with orchestrators, but does a lot of it himself too. I think it's remarkable that without computer, the first time he hears what he has written (aside from piano) is with the full orchestra on the recording stage.

Comment

• Hedji
      Citizen of Gotham
      • Nov 17, 2012

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
      ^Rey's and Kylo Ren's themes are both great, but Rey's is just so perfect for that character.
      It's sort of widely accepted that Williams was a bit smitten with Daisy Ridley. (And who would blame him?) He's pretty much said publicly that she was sort of a muse, and that he would score 8 and 9 as long as she was in them.

Similar situation with Cate Blanchett. On the Indiana Jones bonus features, he clearly was "inspired" by her screen presence in Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

Can I just say (Spoilers), I absolutely adore the pivotal moment in Rise, when Kylo's theme changes from a minor key to a heroic major key?

Comment

Working...
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎