Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Universal plans a graveyard smash with horror flick monster mash

Images
    This could actually be fun, or a horrible misstep that finally kills any chance of these monsters having any relevance beyond us aging fanboys. And reportedly, Universal is now breaking ground on the Monsters Land at their new Orlando Epic Universe park. If this idea flops...will they get cold feet and kill that park?

I would rather see a modern Monster Rally. Maybe a horror/comedy ala Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein where the Monsters are treated legit, and the comedy comes from the human leads. Like a Zombieland type approach, for modern audiences.

Chris
    http://megomuseum.com/community/signaturepics/sigpic22_1.gif

Honestly I think there's more to mine from a horror comedy. Get some stars together and do like, Jumanji but with monsters. The Rock meets Frankenstein!

Seriously though, I hate pretty much all musicals, so you can probably count me out.

Invisible Man looks interesting. I think they should stick to a low budget horror route honestly. Do a gritty arthouse Frankenstein with Jack Pierce style makeup, shoot it in black and white, give it a limited theatrical run. Stop trying to make everything a blockbuster. The risk isn't worth the reward.

With Universal's track record, there's no way this will be anything other than a train wreck.

The only good reboot they've done is The Wolfman. It was 100% true to the spirit of the original.

Blog Entries
    I kind of dug "Dracula Unbound" I wanted to see where that was going.

Images
    The only good reboot they've done is The Wolfman. It was 100% true to the spirit of the original.
    The "twist" at the end cut out the gut-punching pathos of the original's finale for me. I still enjoy the remake a lot, but the original has that extra tragic angle with Chaney's and Rains' relationship.

I kind of dug "Dracula Unbound" I wanted to see where that was going.
    I liked that movie for what it was, even though I prefer Dracula to be a no good SOB.

Chris

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Earth 2 Chris View Post
    I liked that movie for what it was, even though I prefer Dracula to be a no good SOB.
    I can see that but I just found it a surprisingly coherent popcorn movie and I sincerely wanted to see where they were going with the series.

Quote Originally Posted by Earth 2 Chris View Post
    The "twist" at the end cut out the gut-punching pathos of the original's finale for me. I still enjoy the remake a lot, but the original has that extra tragic angle with Chaney's and Rains' relationship.

Chris
    It's just a shame they didn't follow it up...they had the perfect setup to springboard into the rest of the monsters. Aberline should've become the "Werewolf of London" who seeks out a cure from one of the series' doctors...Frankenstein, Jekyll, or Griffin.
    A great twist would be having Aberline assigned to solve the very murders he was committing as the werewolf. Ah, if only...what could have been.

Images
    ^Oh yeah, that aspect of it was fantastic, and I would have loved to have seen it explored as you said. He's kind of the Mister McDougal of that film. I was referring to the reveal of Anthony Hopkins' character.

I can see that but I just found it a surprisingly coherent popcorn movie and I sincerely wanted to see where they were going with the series.
    Agreed. And they could have had Dracula be an SOB in modern times, and perhaps someone is able to call back to that lost nobler side. It had potential, for sure. And I like Luke Evans just fine.

Chris

No thank you.