• Jun 16, 2001

Universal plans a graveyard smash with horror flick monster mash

Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop
  • Brown Bear
    Still Old School
    • Feb 14, 2008

Hopefully the monsters resemble the ones we know and not “reimagined”.
    Love the concept on paper
    Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• Hedji
      Citizen of Gotham
      • Nov 17, 2012

Musical?

I'm not sure what to think. I've seen the Universal Studios Beetlejuice Musical Review Stage Show and it ain't pretty.

Having said that, if they at last EMBRACE the classic look, and work hard to resemble Jack Pierce, it could still entertain. I'm not a musical person, but I fell in LOVE with Anna and The Apocalypse. If they have good songs like that, it could maybe work.

But it's still not really what we, as monster fans are wanting.

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

I can't denigrate this outhand-- I love Mad Monster Party and there's probably no bigger fan of musicals here than me. Dr Horrible--LOVED IT.

But I"m having a hard time picturing this mash. Handled well, it could be brilliant fun. But so much could go wrong...
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• monitor_ep
          Talkative Member
          • May 11, 2013

I have seen some good musical based on Universal Monsters characters so it is possible. It all depends on the script & songs. Also do NOT pick big names for the roles, that is just money wasted, the fans of the monsters are going to watch the monsters not an actor/singer. Spend the money of costumes and singer/actors who sound and can act the part.
          Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• thunderbolt
            Hi Ernie!!!
            • Feb 15, 2004

so the MCU styled attempt bombed out and they turn it all the way around to a campy musical? They get their characters even less than WB gets the DC characters.
            You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Werewolf
              Inhuman
              • Jul 14, 2003

I'm not crazy about musicals but I'd still be totally fine with this as long as the characters have their classic designs.
              You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• rche
                channeling Bob Wills
                • Mar 26, 2008

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                I can't denigrate this outhand-- I love Mad Monster Party and there's probably no bigger fan of musicals here than me. Dr Horrible--LOVED IT.

But I"m having a hard time picturing this mash. Handled well, it could be brilliant fun. But so much could go wrong...
                What could possibly go wrong? Look at how well Cats did.....

Comment

• monitor_ep
                  Talkative Member
                  • May 11, 2013

I saw Cats on Broadway, it was strange then and the movie is even stranger, what's worse is you should watch the play (on DVD) then the movie (if your board and like cats)

Like I said it all depends on who the get to do the script. That is the key to making a good movie.

The Dark Universe messed up when they hired Tom Cruz, he keep adding more to it (like he does with most his movies) and why did they include Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde as the key character. The central character in Universal Monsters should be the Van Helsing clan the monster hunters.
                  Last edited by monitor_ep; Feb 8, '20, 11:58 PM.
                  Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• danadoll
                    Micronaut Nut!
                    • Apr 11, 2005

Uuugh!
                    "Do you want a doll?" Kurt

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                      Verbose Member
                      • Mar 7, 2004

This could actually be fun, or a horrible misstep that finally kills any chance of these monsters having any relevance beyond us aging fanboys. And reportedly, Universal is now breaking ground on the Monsters Land at their new Orlando Epic Universe park. If this idea flops...will they get cold feet and kill that park?

I would rather see a modern Monster Rally. Maybe a horror/comedy ala Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein where the Monsters are treated legit, and the comedy comes from the human leads. Like a Zombieland type approach, for modern audiences.

Chris
                      sigpic

Comment

• ODBJBG
                        Permanent Member
                        • May 15, 2009

Honestly I think there's more to mine from a horror comedy. Get some stars together and do like, Jumanji but with monsters. The Rock meets Frankenstein!

Seriously though, I hate pretty much all musicals, so you can probably count me out.

Invisible Man looks interesting. I think they should stick to a low budget horror route honestly. Do a gritty arthouse Frankenstein with Jack Pierce style makeup, shoot it in black and white, give it a limited theatrical run. Stop trying to make everything a blockbuster. The risk isn't worth the reward.

Comment

• enyawd72
                          Maker of Monsters!
                          • Oct 1, 2009

With Universal's track record, there's no way this will be anything other than a train wreck.

The only good reboot they've done is The Wolfman. It was 100% true to the spirit of the original.

Comment

• palitoy
                            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                            • Jun 16, 2001

I kind of dug "Dracula Unbound" I wanted to see where that was going.
                            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                              Verbose Member
                              • Mar 7, 2004

The only good reboot they've done is The Wolfman. It was 100% true to the spirit of the original.
                              The "twist" at the end cut out the gut-punching pathos of the original's finale for me. I still enjoy the remake a lot, but the original has that extra tragic angle with Chaney's and Rains' relationship.

I kind of dug "Dracula Unbound" I wanted to see where that was going.
                              I liked that movie for what it was, even though I prefer Dracula to be a no good SOB.

Chris
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎