X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RMP
    • Feb 4, 2020

Astro-Ape Artemus

Hi,

First-time poster, so please be kind if I violate any forum rules. I recently came across what I had for many years assumed was one of the Mego POTA figures, in a box of old toys. I haven't done any real toy collecting for years, and this ape figure was something I acquired in the '90s along with some Mego POTA figures. Anyway, I recently rediscovered it and set about figuring out who he is. I'm still not certain, but I do know his head is that of Artemus the Astro-Ape. His body and jacket? I'm not sure, because I couldn't find any unclothed Artemus photos.

Anyway, since he had just been stuck in a box all these years anyway, I went ahead and listed him on a popular internet auction site. Not really sure what he's worth, but am pretty sure someone will enjoy him more than me. I don't want to link to the auction, not sure if that's allowed, but it is out there, if anyone wants to see him.

I don't want to come across like I just showed up to plug my auction, but I figured folks here my have more insight into this. As a kid in the mid-70s, Mego figures ruled my life, as did Planet of the Apes. I periodically kick myself for letting my parents throw out my old toys, stuff like the Batman-with-removable-mask Mego figure, my Comic Action Heroes Fortress of Solitude, and especially the package I got in the mail from Mattel after I wrote them to whine about how my parents wouldn't by me a Big Jim PACK Commander figure and all I had was the boring old regular Big Jim...
  • EMCE Hammer
    Moderation Engineer
    • Aug 14, 2003

This the one? https://www.ebay.com/itm/Astro-Apes-...t/383408172425

Many of us love Astro Apes. Not surprised to see just a head as the bodies tend to be brittle.

Comment

• RMP
      • Feb 4, 2020

Originally posted by EMCE Hammer
      This the one? https://www.ebay.com/itm/Astro-Apes-...t/383408172425

Many of us love Astro Apes. Not surprised to see just a head as the bodies tend to be brittle.
      That's the guy. For years, I think I assumed he was Cornelius or Galen.

Comment

• Confessional
        Maker & Whatnot
        • Aug 8, 2012

Welcome! AA heads usually sell for $20 – $40, condition dependent. Your S/H may deter higher bidding.

They were cast in two different colors of vinyl; light/pale and dark/mocha for simple reference. Interesting, the blow mold bodies also come in two similar colors. Here's what he looks like complete:

Last edited by Confessional; Feb 8, '20, 11:07 AM. Reason: … Space Apes 4ever!

Comment

• RMP
          • Feb 4, 2020

Originally posted by Confessional
          Welcome! AA heads usually sell for $20 – $40, condition dependent. Your S/H may deter higher bidding.

They were cast in two different colors of vinyl; light/pale and dark/mocha for simple reference. Interesting, the blow mold bodies also come in two similar colors. Here's what he looks like complete:

Much appreciated. Any idea about the jacket or the body?

Comment

• RMP
            • Feb 4, 2020

Now I am wondering if the body is maybe a Mego Star Trek figure, maybe Spock or one of the Enterprise crew. Can anyone recognize it?
            Last edited by RMP; Feb 8, '20, 9:12 PM. Reason: Missed something

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
              Moderation Engineer
              • Aug 14, 2003

It's a Trek body and a LJN shirt. For your purposes their presence probably hurts the auction as neither of them are worth the cost of your shipping. If you were just shipping the head in a bubble envelope at the appropriate cost you'd probably pull in more bidders.

Comment

• knight errant00
                8 Inch Action Figure
                • Nov 15, 2005

Originally posted by RMP
                . . . and especially the package I got in the mail from Mattel after I wrote them to whine about how my parents wouldn't by me a Big Jim PACK Commander figure and all I had was the boring old regular Big Jim...
                Whoa, whoa -- that's a big can of mystery you put on the table and left unopened! What was in the package from Mattel?!?

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎