X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

DC's latest reboot

I don't know why I'm even mildly interested in how this goes, even from afar. Scott Lobdell's involvement doesn't inspire my confidence any further, but the image of classic Batman (with the oval) and Robin piqued my interest just a little bit.

Chris
    sigpic
  • EMCE Hammer
    Moderation Engineer
    • Aug 14, 2003

Oh, but it's "epic" and "seismic-level."

Comment

• palitoy
      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
      • Jun 16, 2001

Let's reboot every other month!
      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• MRP
        Persistent Member
        • Jul 19, 2016

It's part of the DC FCBD offering, so I will likely check it out. I really liked the Wonder Woman story in #750 kicking off her new timeline, and as along as the result is stories I like to read, I could care less about what they do with overall continuity anyways-trying to fit all of Superman's adventures into a timespan where he is eternally 29 results in him having to have about 134 adventures a day to get them all to fit with that passage of time, so it's all utter ridiculousness anyways. Unless you are going to have characters, grow, age, change, retire and be replaced, there's no sense in trying to make every story fit anyways. Just tell good stories, the rest will take care of itself. The Siegel and Shuster Superman bears little resemblance to the Weisenger era Superman as even though there was no "reboot" they were essentially different characters reflecting the sensibilities of different times, not the same character evolving as a result of the stories told in a single continuity. Continuity has always been a fan creation and only really entered into comics when fans grew up and started writing comics.

-M
        "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

Thank god for reprints.
          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• The Bat
            Batman Fanatic
            • Jul 14, 2002

It...gets...tiresome...
            sigpic

Comment

• fun guy
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 24, 2011

Originally posted by MRP
              It's part of the DC FCBD offering, so I will likely check it out. I really liked the Wonder Woman story in #750 kicking off her new timeline, and as along as the result is stories I like to read, I could care less about what they do with overall continuity anyways-trying to fit all of Superman's adventures into a timespan where he is eternally 29 results in him having to have about 134 adventures a day to get them all to fit with that passage of time, so it's all utter ridiculousness anyways. Unless you are going to have characters, grow, age, change, retire and be replaced, there's no sense in trying to make every story fit anyways. Just tell good stories, the rest will take care of itself. The Siegel and Shuster Superman bears little resemblance to the Weisenger era Superman as even though there was no "reboot" they were essentially different characters reflecting the sensibilities of different times, not the same character evolving as a result of the stories told in a single continuity. Continuity has always been a fan creation and only really entered into comics when fans grew up and started writing comics.

-M
              Me too.,count me in.this will be the best DC FCBD offering yet!

Comment

• Makernaut
                Persistent Member
                • Jul 22, 2015

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                Thank god for reprints.
                Indeed!

The Marvel True Believer series and the DC Dollar Comics keep me pretty happy.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                  Verbose Member
                  • Mar 7, 2004

Apparently DC head honcho Dan DiDio recently admitted at a con, that DC's Dollar reprints and Facsimile editions were outselling their NEW comics...which is really, really sad. But you think that would give them a clue.

Chris
                  sigpic

Comment

• Makernaut
                    Persistent Member
                    • Jul 22, 2015

^ That's definitely sad

Comment

• MRP
                      Persistent Member
                      • Jul 19, 2016

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                      Apparently DC head honcho Dan DiDio recently admitted at a con, that DC's Dollar reprints and Facsimile editions were outselling their NEW comics...which is really, really sad. But you think that would give them a clue.

Chris
                      A couple of things to keep in mind about that-those sales numbers are to comic retailers not end customers. Our local shop used to buy these in large quantities so he would have them available for sale. After his last quarterly analysis, he found out he was selling through less than a quarter of what he was ordering and has vastly scales back what he was bringing in on these, and in communicating with other retailers, he found they were having a similar experience. They were not selling to end customers at anywhere near th rate they anticipated. When they started we were told we didn't need to let him know if we wanted these ahead of order dates as he was bringing in plenty, at the end of last year, he notified us we needed to preorder them if we wanted to be sure to get them because he was heavily scaling back on the number he ordered and wanted to make sure he was still getting enough to meet his regular customers's demand.

Secondly, large numbers of these reprint highly collectible books, and are being bought simply to slab and sell at inflated 9.8 graded copies or to take to the bigger cons and have them signed and certified slabbed. They aren't being bought by readers or average customers, but by dealers looking to resell them at inflated prices after having them slabbed since the demand is already there in the collectible market for the content being reprinted. One local con dealer in our area was "pre-selling" slabbed 9.8 copies of the $1 reprint of Batman Adventures 12 for $75 a pop, saying he only had 100 available at that price and any more he had would be at whatever the market determined at that point.

So yes, the reprints in some cases were outselling the regular books, but it wasn't sales to end customers who liked the content better than the new material that were fueling that trend, it was over-ordering by retailers who overestimated sales to end customers and speculators looking to cash in on those books that were fueling the higher sales numbers, and neither of those are sustainable sources of sales you should model your future publication plans on.

-M
                      "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                        Verbose Member
                        • Mar 7, 2004

^Good points. But why would anyone care to have a reprint of Batman Adventures #12 slabbed? It's not the original, and the story has been reprinted in TPBs for years, hasn't it?

I just don't get it.

Chris
                        sigpic

Comment

• enyawd72
                          Maker of Monsters!
                          • Oct 1, 2009

My LCS is selling more reprints and facsimile editions than regular books too, and they're being scarfed up by regular customers for reading, because quite frankly they're better than anything else being published at the moment.
                          They're all I buy anymore, and I definitely ain't getting them slabbed.

The resale market for these is TINY. All you have to do is check completed eBay listings. There have only been a little over 100 sales of slabbed facsimile editions in the last three months. Considering the millions of comics sold on eBay, that's literally nothing.
                          No, most of these books are going to readers like me.

Comment

• danadoll
                            Micronaut Nut!
                            • Apr 11, 2005

Oh, for Pete's sake! Again, again, again!?

Dana
                            "Do you want a doll?" Kurt

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
                              Moderation Engineer
                              • Aug 14, 2003

My local Ollies is my LCS for most purposes. I picked-up a ton of SW stuff this weekend for a fraction of list and there was plenty left that interested me for another trip.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎