X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Toy-Ventures: Tarzan or Big Jim?

Time for another Toy-Venture, this week we talk about the very underrated line of Tarzan toys produced by Mattel in 1978, actually we talk about the whole series of action figures produced that year using European Big Jim tooling. Grab a vine and join me, won't you? www.plaidstallions.com Facebook Group: Pod Stallions Instagram: Plaidstallions Twitter: @plaidstallions

Don't forget to join our new facebook group.

For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • Wee67
    Museum Correspondent
    • Apr 2, 2002

I've heard the line referred to many, many times, but I've never seen the Tarzan figure itself. Or maybe I have and just assumed it was a Big Jim figure. Either way, thanks for this info. I especially love the info about what was going on outside my own ethnocentric view.
    WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• TrekStar
      Trek or Treat
      • Jan 20, 2011

Could also be Jungle Jim?

Comment

• Falstaff13
        Persistent Member
        • May 28, 2008

As always, I liked the video. I actually got a Grizzly Adams just a few years ago for my western collection. I basically focus on figures of (historical) western heroes, since my primary collection centers around Legends of the West. I got this one using the warped logic that there was actually an historic basis for Grizzly Adams, albeit fairly different from the show. (I used the same logic to get the Kit Carson from the Karl May line). But I got a great deal, and he's a pretty cool little figure to add into the mix.
        Hugh H. Davis

Wanted: Legends of the West (Empire & Excel) and other western historically-based figures. Send me an offer.
        Also interested in figures based on literary characters.

Comment

• ScottA
          Original Member
          • Jun 25, 2001

Very informative sir. Thank you.
          sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

I don't recall seeing any of these figures as a kid. In fact, I didn't know about them until I got Tomart's 1992 Action Figure Guide. It's kind of surprising Mattel didn't try to relaunch Big Jim in the states before MOTU hit.

Chris
            sigpic

Comment

• palitoy
              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
              • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
              I don't recall seeing any of these figures as a kid. In fact, I didn't know about them until I got Tomart's 1992 Action Figure Guide. It's kind of surprising Mattel didn't try to relaunch Big Jim in the states before MOTU hit.
              You know, when i look at the time lines, prior to MOTU Big Jim was mainly a mish mash of themes that they already tried like Sports, Spy and Western.

During MOTU is when they launched the spaceline and I guess they were selling so much MOTU that they didn't bother with Jim?
              Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Werewolf
                Inhuman
                • Jul 14, 2003

I also never saw the Mattel Tarzan toys in stores. Probably would have wanted them I really liked the cartoon and sets coming with animals would have been really appealing.
                You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                  Museum Paramedic
                  • Aug 31, 2005

I’ve always loved this figured but have never owned it or ever seen it in person. I’d still love to have one. Maybe one day.

- Ian
                  Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• PNGwynne
                    Master of Fowl Play
                    • Jun 5, 2008

Great video, appreciate the content/context. I, too never saw these at retail--I'd have liked them, I loved that 'toon.
                    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• MysteryWho
                      Persistent Member
                      • Dec 16, 2008

Great video, that is something I'd love to own someday. Here's something interesting, another Mattel Tarzan artifact with Kirby art!

Comment

• monitor_ep
                        Talkative Member
                        • May 11, 2013

This figure is a blank to me. I remember seeing Big Jim and even had some of the clothes for my Megos (Mom sewed them to fit) but Tarzan and his animal partners I do not remember.
                        Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• Confessional
                          Maker & Whatnot
                          • Aug 8, 2012

Ah, this is great!… clearly these were the source material for the numerous Mexican bootlegs (in multiple scales) that are out there.

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎