Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dell's Doctor Specktor, Occult Detective?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Images
    Blog Entries

Question Dell's Doctor Specktor, Occult Detective?

I was trying to do some online research on Dell's hero The Owl (not to anyone's surpise who knows me, I like him) and I ran across Dell's Doctor Spektor, occult detective.

I'm vaquely aware of the great lurid covers of his comics but have never read one. Are the comics worthwhile? I see there are archive editions.

I think it would be very easy to do a Mego of him, though I couldn't see exactly what type of cloak he wears.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; POTA Fortress signal-flasher--top mirrored portion or mirror sticker; POTA Forbidden Zone prison doors, walls, bar; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Images
    He's your standard Mandrake knockoff, with a more supernatural bend. I would have to look, but I don't think every issue is him. I want to say they did a "Karloff's Tales of Mystery" with him at one point. I could be mistaken.

Images
    Blog Entries
    I just read one issue online, not bad. The quality of the art surprised me. A potentially intersting monster-hunter/occult historian vibe. That schtick always engages me, I felt the same spark of interest when I discovered telefilms like The Norliss Tapes, Spectre, and most recently, Dark Intruder.
    Last edited by PNGwynne; Feb 2, '20 at 12:39 PM.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; POTA Fortress signal-flasher--top mirrored portion or mirror sticker; POTA Forbidden Zone prison doors, walls, bar; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

^Doctor Spektor is fantastic...one of my favorite books. He appeared in two different series.

He had his own book, The Occult Files of Doctor Spektor, which ran for 25 issues, all with painted covers.
    The final issue is a reprint of #1 with the painted art redone as line art.

He also appeared as the host of a four issue mini-series called Spine-Tingling Tales.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by enyawd72; Feb 2, '20 at 5:53 PM.

Images
    Blog Entries
    It does! I'm a little confused about his earliest, pre-series appearances, I wonder if they are in the archives.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PNGwynne View Post
    It does! I'm a little confused about his earliest, pre-series appearances, I wonder if they are in the archives.
    Volume one says it reprints Dr. Spektor's very first appearance in Mystery Comics Digest #5.

Images
    Dark Horse Archives has released about 4 hardcover volumes. They're pricey, but it's a lot cheaper for the kindle version if you don't desire a hard copy. If you go to amazon, and search Doctor Spektor Archives, you can even use the "look inside" feature, and it will let you browse at some of the pages. In some cases, you can almost read the entire introduction which gives the background of Dr. Spektor.

Images
    Blog Entries
    I saw those, but was uncertain of the content. Thank you very much.

Images
    Blog Entries
    I just realized I've conflated Dell with Whitman/Gold Key. But I do appreciate the advice!

Quote Originally Posted by PNGwynne View Post
    I just realized I've conflated Dell with Whitman/Gold Key. But I do appreciate the advice!
    Well they were all the same parent company, Western Publishing, so I guess it's okay to conflate them.

-M