Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dell's Doctor Specktor, Occult Detective?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

Dell's Doctor Specktor, Occult Detective?

I was trying to do some online research on Dell's hero The Owl (not to anyone's surpise who knows me, I like him) and I ran across Dell's Doctor Spektor, occult detective.

I'm vaquely aware of the great lurid covers of his comics but have never read one. Are the comics worthwhile? I see there are archive editions.

I think it would be very easy to do a Mego of him, though I couldn't see exactly what type of cloak he wears.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.
  • hedrap
    Permanent Member
    • Feb 10, 2009

He's your standard Mandrake knockoff, with a more supernatural bend. I would have to look, but I don't think every issue is him. I want to say they did a "Karloff's Tales of Mystery" with him at one point. I could be mistaken.

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

I just read one issue online, not bad. The quality of the art surprised me. A potentially intersting monster-hunter/occult historian vibe. That schtick always engages me, I felt the same spark of interest when I discovered telefilms like The Norliss Tapes, Spectre, and most recently, Dark Intruder.
      Last edited by PNGwynne; Feb 2, '20, 12:39 PM.
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• enyawd72
        Maker of Monsters!
        • Oct 1, 2009

^Doctor Spektor is fantastic...one of my favorite books. He appeared in two different series.

He had his own book, The Occult Files of Doctor Spektor, which ran for 25 issues, all with painted covers.
        The final issue is a reprint of #1 with the painted art redone as line art.

He also appeared as the host of a four issue mini-series called Spine-Tingling Tales.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by enyawd72; Feb 2, '20, 5:53 PM.

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

It does! I'm a little confused about his earliest, pre-series appearances, I wonder if they are in the archives.

Comment

• RonnyG
            Career Member
            • Apr 23, 2014

Dark Horse Archives has released about 4 hardcover volumes. They're pricey, but it's a lot cheaper for the kindle version if you don't desire a hard copy. If you go to amazon, and search Doctor Spektor Archives, you can even use the "look inside" feature, and it will let you browse at some of the pages. In some cases, you can almost read the entire introduction which gives the background of Dr. Spektor.

Comment

• RonnyG
              Career Member
              • Apr 23, 2014

Originally posted by PNGwynne
              It does! I'm a little confused about his earliest, pre-series appearances, I wonder if they are in the archives.
              Volume one says it reprints Dr. Spektor's very first appearance in Mystery Comics Digest #5.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                Master of Fowl Play
                • Jun 5, 2008

I saw those, but was uncertain of the content. Thank you very much.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                  Master of Fowl Play
                  • Jun 5, 2008

I just realized I've conflated Dell with Whitman/Gold Key. But I do appreciate the advice!

Comment

• MRP
                    Persistent Member
                    • Jul 19, 2016

I just realized I've conflated Dell with Whitman/Gold Key. But I do appreciate the advice!
                    Well they were all the same parent company, Western Publishing, so I guess it's okay to conflate them.

-M
                    "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• MysteryWho
                      Persistent Member
                      • Dec 16, 2008

I enjoy Dr. Spektor. I picked a somewhat worn Ivanhoe so I could do a custom one day. I was actually hoping the new Mr. Hyde might have a coat I could use. It's basically a black overcoat with those shoulder flaps. They were standard issue in gothic horror films.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                        Master of Fowl Play
                        • Jun 5, 2008

You and I are on the same page, Mystery Who.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                          Master of Fowl Play
                          • Jun 5, 2008

Very crestfallen today: I was going to treat myself and order vols. 1-4 of Dark Horse's Spektor archives.

I find that Vol. 4 cannot be had for love or money, I don't have enough money and the other option is unseemly.

For OCD Me, an incomplete set is not an option.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                            Hi Ernie!!!
                            • Feb 15, 2004

Very crestfallen today: I was going to treat myself and order vols. 1-4 of Dark Horse's Spektor archives.

I find that Vol. 4 cannot be had for love or money, I don't have enough money and the other option is unseemly.

For OCD Me, an incomplete set is not an option.
                            Dark Horse had Hellboy Library 5 go oop for a bit then it came back, if you find a deal on he first three nab them and be patient for 4.
                            You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• PNGwynne
                              Master of Fowl Play
                              • Jun 5, 2008

I may try contacting DH. I doubt a second printing is planned since 2012.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎