Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Plastic Vulcan
    • Apr 25, 2019

Mattel Retro-Action-Has Anyone...

I just bought a loose, broken Retro-Action Figure. Never owned one before. Is it easy to take the head and put it on a Type 3 Mego Body? Are they compatible or will I need to get more creative?
  • sprytel
    Talkative Member
    • Jun 26, 2009

The head has a vintage Mego neck plug, only it is glued to a plastic piece to keep it from coming out. Usually soaking in very hot water will soften it enough that you work it free... but some people just crack the body and not risk ripping the plug.

Of course, if you did rip it... it probably would work with the new Megoi neck plug.

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

I crack those crap figures open like crab-legs lol.
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Plastic Vulcan
        • Apr 25, 2019

Update

Originally posted by Plastic Vulcan
        I just bought a loose, broken Retro-Action Figure. Never owned one before. Is it easy to take the head and put it on a Type 3 Mego Body? Are they compatible or will I need to get more creative?
        So I finally got the figure ( A Two-Face BTW ) and the head was torn off from the body. Which was okay. The body was useless to be perfectly honest, unless you wanted a rag doll instead of a poseable action figure.

I had a 2018 Action Jackson laying around. So I separated the AJ head from the body, cut off the neck from the head, shrunk the neck in acetone and it fit nice and snug in the Two-Face neck. As added insurance, I used some J-B Plastic Weld and it made the neck hole look like it was manufactured to fit the head. I did have to Dremel the hole to enlarge it for the neck post, wet it with luke-warm water and it slid right on.

Gave him the AJ Gun and painted one of those loose doll buttons I had laying around silver for a coin which fits in the palm of his hand perfectly and I now have a 8 inch Mego Two-Face to fight my Batman. I'll take a pic when I get home to show you how he looks.
        Last edited by Plastic Vulcan; Feb 14, '20, 2:02 PM.

Comment

• phil
          Persistent Member
          • May 11, 2007

I've transferred a few of the Mattel figures on to the new style MEGO bodies and removed the neck plug after soaking it in hot water. The only head I had a problem with was the Martian Manhunter. It was a bit loose but I put some tape around the neck post and it fit fine. The Mattel hands swap nicely with the MEGO ones.

Comment

• TrekStar
            Trek or Treat
            • Jan 20, 2011

I did the same thing with a Mattel Lex Luthor, transferred the head easily to a type 2 Mego body, and the clothes fit
            perfectly.

Comment

• sprytel
              Talkative Member
              • Jun 26, 2009

Gave him the AJ Gun and painted one of those loose doll buttons I had laying around silver for a coin which fits in the palm of his hand perfectly and I now have a 8 inch Mego Two-Face to fight my Batman. I'll take a pic when I get home to show you how he looks.
              I'm glad it all worked. I'd love to see a picture! You should start a thread in Finished Customs.

Comment

• Plastic Vulcan
                • Apr 25, 2019

Mattel and Mego Hands

Originally posted by phil
                The Mattel hands swap nicely with the MEGO ones.
                That's good to know. I have a Sinestro on order and plan to use another Mego Body on it. I was wondering how to deal with the hands since the character is a purplish red and as far as I know they don't make a body in that color. Plus I don't want to lose the ring hand.

I forgot to take a pic of the finished project. Will do so over the weekend. It's Valentine's Day today.

Comment

• phil
                  Persistent Member
                  • May 11, 2007

That's good to know. I have a Sinestro on order and plan to use another Mego Body on it. I was wondering how to deal with the hands since the character is a purplish red and as far as I know they don't make a body in that color. Plus I don't want to lose the ring hand.

I forgot to take a pic of the finished project. Will do so over the weekend. It's Valentine's Day today.
                  I just used the Boil and Pop method on the hands and it worked fine.

Comment

• Plastic Vulcan
                    • Apr 25, 2019

Originally posted by phil
                    I just used the Boil and Pop method on the hands and it worked fine.
                    The old tried and true!

Comment

• phil
                      Persistent Member
                      • May 11, 2007

The old tried and true!
                      It's a classic for a reason!

Comment

• Makernaut
                        Persistent Member
                        • Jul 22, 2015

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                        I crack those crap figures open like crab-legs lol.
                        Yes!

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎