X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EMCE Hammer
    Moderation Engineer
    • Aug 14, 2003

Picard

Elrond, Picard, and the chick from The Good Place walk into a replicator establishment............

I don't really have a point, other than I guess I miss when Romulans looked like Romulans. This guy could get dropped in LotR, Thrones, the Witcher, a Big Bang Theory Cosplay, or the renaissance fair and not look out of place. Too much to ask for a little Flash Gordon space knight and ray gun action?
    Last edited by EMCE Hammer; Jan 30, '20, 12:19 AM.
  • phil
    Persistent Member
    • May 11, 2007

I saw this before and thought the guy on the left looked like a Vulcan Legolas.

Comment

• Hedji
      Citizen of Gotham
      • Nov 17, 2012

I don't wish to be negative, but... you're right.

I mentioned yesterday in the MOTU Movie thread that so much of today's production design and costumes looks like everything else. There's a safe, sameness that has invaded the visual language of genre film, and nothing really stands out.

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
        Moderation Engineer
        • Aug 14, 2003

Originally posted by phil
        I saw this before and thought the guy on the left looked like a Vulcan Legolas.
        Exactly. New easiest Trek custom ever - paint the new Mego Legolas' hair black and you've got that guy.

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
          Moderation Engineer
          • Aug 14, 2003

Originally posted by Hedji
          I don't wish to be negative, but... you're right.

I mentioned yesterday in the MOTU Movie thread that so much of today's production design and costumes looks like everything else. There's a safe, sameness that has invaded the visual language of genre film, and nothing really stands out.
          I think you hit it on the head with "safe." The more colorful and unique, the higher the chance for a negative reaction I guess. Reminds me a little of the old Kenner Robin Hood toys. The sculpts and bodies were fine, but put them next to their super hero cousins and they looked like a bunch of medievel road workers.

Comment

• sprytel
            Talkative Member
            • Jun 26, 2009

I always hated TNG making Romulans have visible differences from Vulcans, since it was established in "Balance of Terror" that they looked just like Spock (I mean, the guy could pass for his dad).

I also hated how they homogenized entire races based on a couple tidbits from TOS: all Vulcans men have bowl cuts and names that start with S, all Vulcan women have crazy up-dos and names that start with T", etc.

In theory, this should be right in my wheelhouse... and yet, I do not have a favorable first impression.

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
              valar morghulis
              • Mar 8, 2005

Originally posted by EMCE Hammer

Elrond, Picard, and the chick from The Good Place walk into a replicator establishment............

The chick from the Good Place is Kristen Bell, and she's not in Picard. Alison Pill is the Picard actress.

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
                Moderation Engineer
                • Aug 14, 2003

Originally posted by Sideshow Spock
                The chick from the Good Place is Kristen Bell, and she's not in Picard. Alison Pill is the Picard actress.
                I know, it just may as well be Kristin Bell is my point:-)

Comment

• Godzilla
                  Permanent Member
                  • Nov 3, 2002

I'll say I prefer this look for Romulans over the re-designed Klingons for ST: Discovery.
                  Mortui Vivos Docent
                  The Dead Teach the Living

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
                    Moderation Engineer
                    • Aug 14, 2003

Originally posted by Godzilla
                    I'll say I prefer this look for Romulans over the re-designed Klingons for ST: Discovery.
                    Yeah, I concur. They're a little easier to swallow when they grow their hair out but they'll never be as cute as the Duras sisters from TNG.

Comment

• Klosterheim
                      Persistent Member
                      • Mar 23, 2013

I liked the fourth episode.

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡